How Are You Preparing For Future Price Hikes?

Soon food will become even more expensive so recently ive been thinking of ways to help both my family and friends and wondered what others are doing to prepare. 
We have decided to start growing fruit and veg. We bought a greenhouse and had the garden dug over and planted plenty of seeds and cuttings etc.
Obviously we dont have anything from this yet but we are hopeful that our first crop will be a success and if not we can learn from our mistakes and try again next year. 
As an aside, at first it was a lot of hard work, a lot of noise and a lot of disruption but now its a lot of pleasure watching things grow and tending to them. We did have a big problem with rats (due to living 0 feet from a huge woods and 100 yards from a Macky Dees makes rats a real problem) and usually id dispatch them with an air rifle but having a green house on the garden now makes this impossible so i invested in an electric fence and so far its worked a treat. Its not pleasant hearing the occasional rat get shocked but its a necessary evil in my view. 
Ive also been mulling over the idea of speaking to my friends and neighbors about setting up a local cooperative where we all grow specific things then share them between ourselves and giving any excess produce to people who need it. Does anyone think this could work? 
Anyway, what are you doing?
Id love to hear if others are preparing. And if anyone has any gardening tips id be grateful of any input you could give 🙏

Guest sibon
23 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Soon food will become even more expensive so recently ive been thinking of ways to help both my family and friends and wondered what others are doing to prepare. 
We have decided to start growing fruit and veg. We bought a greenhouse and had the garden dug over and planted plenty of seeds and cuttings etc.
Obviously we dont have anything from this yet but we are hopeful that our first crop will be a success and if not we can learn from our mistakes and try again next year. 
As an aside, at first it was a lot of hard work, a lot of noise and a lot of disruption but now its a lot of pleasure watching things grow and tending to them. We did have a big problem with rats (due to living 0 feet from a huge woods and 100 yards from a Macky Dees makes rats a real problem) and usually id dispatch them with an air rifle but having a green house on the garden now makes this impossible so i invested in an electric fence and so far its worked a treat. Its not pleasant hearing the occasional rat get shocked but its a necessary evil in my view. 
Ive also been mulling over the idea of speaking to my friends and neighbors about setting up a local cooperative where we all grow specific things then share them between ourselves and giving any excess produce to people who need it. Does anyone think this could work? 
Anyway, what are you doing?
Id love to hear if others are preparing. And if anyone has any gardening tips id be grateful of any input you could give 🙏

What are you growing?

How close are you to getting some food from your endeavours?

8 minutes ago, sibon said:

What are you growing?

How close are you to getting some food from your endeavours?

I'm growing corn, tomatoes, courgettes, herbs, potatoes, radishes,  pumpkin, butternut squash, onions, peppers, chillies and carrots.  I think that's everything.  I've got a lot of seeds for next year and a few years after that too.

I'm still some way from getting anything edible from our efforts but as this is the 1st time we've done this I hope for much but won't be surprised if we get not so much but practice makes perfect. Well nail it eventually 👍

Edited by The_DADDY
Remembered more

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm growing tomatoes, courgettes, herbs, potatoes, radishes,  pumpkin, butternut squash, onions, peppers, chillies and carrots.  I think that's everything.  I've got a lot of seeds for next year and a few years after that too.

I'm still some way from getting anything edible from our efforts but as this is the 1st time we've done this I hope for much but won't be surprised if we get not so much but practice makes perfect. Well nail it eventually 👍

Stick with it. You can get cheap pots from home bargains / b&m etc.

grow stuff in them - easier to protect.

Living in the sticks, with no mains gas and heating oil doubling in price and likely to go higher, I'm building a lean to south facing conservatory which will cover both the living room and main bedroom windows. The solar gain through the glass will hopefully help to warm the house so we won't need as much fuel. I'm also installing a wood burning stove, for cosy nights in!

echo.

Edited by echo beach

Just now, makapaka said:

Stick with it. You can get cheap pots from home bargains / b&m etc.

grow stuff in them - easier to protect.

Definitely going to stick with it and b & m and home bargains is exactly where I get my pots from. 

Excellent call 🤣

I'll tell you what though, even if we don't get much this year it's been a fantastic experience and roll on next year. 

Guest makapaka
26 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Definitely going to stick with it and b & m and home bargains is exactly where I get my pots from. 

Excellent call 🤣

I'll tell you what though, even if we don't get much this year it's been a fantastic experience and roll on next year. 

I love it - cheap little greenhouse to get seeds going - get em in pots and off you go.

Get some fish blood and bone and some chicken muck and feed em that 

I generally grow flowers from seed as  I never had much luck with vegetables. Got some nice tomatoes growing now from seed and am trying  some for the first time in hanging baskets . Seem to be coming on ok . It’s nice seeing things progress slowly 

All the best to all of you trying to grow your own food.  Been there, tried that, and am giving up due to repeat failures to get any significant produce.  Full respect to The Daddy for his idea of giving excess output to those more needy, but most of my strawberries, carrots and so on have been enjoyed by needy slugs.  Local birds (feathered variety) have also got in on the act, despite attempts at netting.  Looking at prices of seed, compost, troughs, netting, and the hassle of regularly watering them, I'm giving in and it's back to the supermarket for me!

• Like 1

At the moment I am growing all these just in pots but been doing it also for several years so some are already established.

Out the back:

5 different varieties of tomatoes: gardeners delight, purple plum, yellow pear, golden sunrise and also 4 different varieties of cherry ones in hanging baskets.

Some mixed salad leaves with rocket. (cut and grow type)

Radishes.

Red onions, spring onions.

Loads of strawberries with some just started to ripen well.

The Rhubarb is doing very well.

Blackcurrant, redcurrant, raspberry, gooseberry, blackberry.

And two types of mint which is growing like mad.

Out front it's mainly herbs but also lavender and marigolds.

Oregano, chives, rosemary, thyme, coriander, bay laurel.

Chillies, jalapenos, habanero, cayenne.

All doing well and the neighbours come and pick herbs when they want.

Just needs a bit of time and tlc.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

I love it - cheap little greenhouse to get seeds going - get em in pots and off you go.

Get some fish blood and bone and some chicken muck and feed em that 

Exactly what I have done. Bought a small greenhouse in Feb cost £25.

Our Dwarf French beans and Peas have been producing for a few weeks now! along with  the courgettes, Swiss chard, lettuce,  cabbages and kale.

No room for a greenhouse here but the backyard is a sun trap so tomatoes doing well. Also French and runner beans taking off in a half barrel after a slow start this year. Clematis plant died for no obvious reason so knocked up some brackets with some steel from the shed and put up a planter on the trellis to grow spring onions instead. Couple of tubs of carrots on the go which are a pain in the arse to prick out but the girls love to pick them. Loads of peas which I never get to eat due to my OH and granddaughter indulging in the annual sport of robbing grandads peas. Yeah fish blood and bone or phostrogen are good and the rats are dealt with by Dad’s old.22. Doubt any of this makes much difference to the food bill but I think it’s good for kids to learn that food doesn’t just appear in shops. Also if you have kids take them blackberry picking in your local woods. Blackberry and apple crumble is nice to have in the freezer as a treat when the dark nights and grey skies return