Mick Lynch Rmt

16 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And are computers foolproof?  I would not rely on computers alone to keep the public safe at all times. It's bad enough that humans can get it wrong occasionally.

I was talking about the cost of the rover on Mars not sensors on trains

And these cameras, sensors, etc will always work well in the dirtiest of British weather will they?  I recall times  when trains couldn't run because of leaves on the line and the wrong kind of snow.

I prefer a world where any modern affordable device, is used wherever possible to help maintain efficiency and safety ALONG with Skilled human personnel and not INSTEAD of.

Cars have been monitoring and logging faults for decades but their results can be questionable and they still need human input and humans to repair the fault.

How many times have you heard government and large companies make the excuse "It was a computer fault"?

Would you like to hear that excuse when a high speed train crashes at over 200 mph?

Oh take your tin foil hat off you hysteric.

You talk about real life.  Right now, computers are keeping your lights on, your water flowing, your gas circulated, your internet and telephones working, your television and radio broadcasting, your supermarket shelf stocked with food, your pubs stocked with beer and stopping planes from falling out the sky and landing on your bonce.

Yes of course all of that has some level of human involvement, but in modern society, and it has been for over 50-years, the vast majority of those humans would not be able to do their job and run without computer control nor do they all necessarily require the same amount of Manpower as previously.

Grow up. You talk as if the implementation of these new practises are going to eradicate entire safety inspections, controlling, auditing, analysis. They don't chuck out these things on some whim. They take years of development and fine-tuning and testing and approval before they are implemented.

Given the green light for completely self-driving cars is coming ever closer, you really ought to stay indoors as clearly you won't feel safe anywhere thanks that evil despicable silicone chip eh?  

With a thinking like yours you must be a union man's wet dream they could chuck any old fodder to justify clinging on to outdated methods, unnecessary job roles and refusals to embrace change and people like you must lap it up.

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh take your tin foil hat off you hysteric.

You talk about real life.  Right now, computers are keeping your lights on, your water flowing, your gas circulated, your internet and telephones working, your television and radio broadcasting, your supermarket shelf stocked with food, your pubs stocked with beer and stopping planes from falling out the sky and landing on your bonce.

Yes of course all of that has some level of human involvement, but in modern society, and it has been for over 50-years, the vast majority of those humans would not be able to do their job and run without computer control nor do they all necessarily require the same amount of Manpower as previously.

Grow up. You talk as if the implementation of these new practises are going to eradicate entire safety inspections, controlling, auditing, analysis. They don't chuck out these things on some whim. They take years of development and fine-tuning and testing and approval before they are implemented.

Given the green light for completely self-driving cars is coming ever closer, you really ought to stay indoors as clearly you won't feel safe anywhere thanks that evil despicable silicone chip eh?  

With a thinking like yours you must be a union man's wet dream they could chuck any old fodder to justify clinging on to outdated methods, unnecessary job roles and refusals to embrace change and people like you must lap it up.

Last paragraph is spot on  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Computers are not new fangled things.  I was programming them in the 80's.

So computers can tighten nuts & bolts up can they? 

Have you any idea what a platelayers job consists of?

Computers can do many things but not everything.

Accountants  (and government ministers)  may not know that but railwaymen will.

That's the problem with this rail argument - half of them don't know what they are talking about and the other half tend to be stuck in the past.

It just needs someone with intelligence plus knowledge.

Designing a thing to travel along the tracks and torque checking and recording the position and torque of nuts and bolts would be well within the capabilities of an industrial automation company.

And would be more reliable and repeatable.

Edited by Bargepole23

14 minutes ago, fools said:

You appear stuck in a groove. The camera's are an aid to identity problems that humans haven't identified, before an accident happens. Then the humans get involved.

Read my text again!

I already said that they should be used along with human but not instead of.

The rail bosses want to stop human track inspection and sack most of the track maintenance workers and use technology,  and my view is that they are inviting disaster.

Then there is the problem that nobody can buy a ticket without a computer that can go online.

5 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Designing a thing to travel along the tracks and torque checking and recording the position and torque of nuts and bolts would be well within the capabilities of an industrial automation company.

Well, let us see one first Eh?

I am not saying that it will never be done.

I am saying that they cannot do it now.

This is like the talk of the electric aeroplanes that we are going to use to go on holiday without pollution.

You may believe all the government kidology but I don't.

Especially from those liars.

Edited by Organgrinder

16 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, we know what computers CAN do.  What computers WILL do in real life is a different matter and, as you say yourself, no guarantee.

Sooner be it your head than mine.

Well, they already DO do all that in a very wide array of industries. The catch-all term is “preventative maintenance”, and AI-based pattern recognition (not only image-based) is the technological bedrock for it.

They even have solutions for preventative building maintenance these days, based on 3D modelling buildings inside and outside with LIDAR and component identification/location/perma-tagging based on architect plans, correlated with  GPS and manufacturer data (spec sheet, product photos), with a maintenance module correlating each component with product fault logging by manufacturers and independent tech/distributor/support sources).

Basically, the building owner knows what’s <next> likely to break down when, and can send a 3D map to the maintenance person indicating exactly which component needs replacing where in the building, with the replacement component. No more double or error orders, no more “did not know we needed a cherry picker to get up there so we’ll have to come back”, no more “you swapped the wrong one”, etc.

Just one real-life example, there are thousands more. Basically, wherever downtime costs an arm and a leg, you’ll find one such solution nowadays.

Edited by L00b

26 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Read my text again!

I already said that they should be used along with human but not instead of.

The rail bosses want to stop human track inspection and sack most of the track maintenance workers and use technology,  and my view is that they are inviting disaster.

Then there is the problem that nobody can buy a ticket without a computer that can go online.

Read mine first - you asked where all the staff where going to come from to analyse the photo's

Do you have a link to substantiate that claim, because I doubt it is true.

or the claim that computer free users won't be able to travel

It is time that people are charged a fixed price per mile, and can tap in and out as they travel imo, a much simpler way of managing the ticketing system.

Edited by fools

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Old and DM but a valid point:

A fractured rail which derailed a Tube train was inspected less than 24 hours before the accident yet the problem was not spotted.

Staff from the infrastructure company Metronet walked the stretch of track on a routine maintenance patrol on Thursday but the following night the rear carriage of a Piccadilly Line train came off the same tracks in west London.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-200193/Cracked-rail-missed-inspection.html

and from another source:

The technology is using enhanced track geometry as part of a broader automated track inspection program to detect defects in the rail track that the human eye can’t see

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/railroads-union-clash-over-use-of-track-inspection-technology

Edited by alchresearch

Guest makapaka

Topic is about mick lynch 

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Well, said Mr Lynch is the one banging on about safety being the primary reason for the strike... He's been the one criticising and doom mongering about machines taking place of people and the supposed catastrophic effects that will have.

When such hysteria gets posted on here people are entitled to counter it. Especially when it has no bearing in reality. 

6 hours ago, sibon said:

Well, we all know your reputation for accuracy.

Maybe you could supply the correct figures.

(Clue: They are already correct)

No they are not.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Tell us about him then , without gushing, if you can 

Guest sibon
9 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

No they are not.

They are you know.

Unless you’d like to correct me.

13 hours ago, sibon said:

>60% of the electorate didn’t vote Tory in 2019.

>60% of the electorate didn’t vote for Brexit.

Farage has no mandate from the UK people 

100% of the electorate have to pay for the BBC. Excepting the OAPs, who have paid for them for long enough anyway.

Just as a reminder.