Help Needed To Sort My Sun Tea Via A Takeaway

12 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

You can't pay your bills working 4/5 hours a day minimum wage and you need to sleep during the day so can't take on a second job. Takeaway jobs would suit the semi retired or the pension topper uppers in many ways.

As a semi-retired topper-upper, I'm considering jobs,.....   but takeaway jobs etc do not appeal at the present rates....   nothing like the rates I used to earn pre-retirement!!  Not looking for great rates, but not pennies.

10 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

As a semi-retired topper-upper, I'm considering jobs,.....   but takeaway jobs etc do not appeal at the present rates....   nothing like the rates I used to earn pre-retirement!!  Not looking for great rates, but not pennies.

"Padders Bar"  pay rates aren't great.

But you do make up for it in the "Job Satisfaction" department.

On 26/06/2022 at 23:34, bassett one said:

sorry folks went to my local chinese take away ordered by phone,ready on time and some free prawn crakers,top service great food,so sorted for this week,might have a kebab next week,i often have a roast with yorkies in the week that answers why sunday is takeaway evening,but i miss my kentucky,but hopefuly they will get staff and normal service will resume soon,re my age i am nearer 70 than 60 put it that way,regarding my family many are of mixed race and i love everyone of them,well most of the time,like most familys do.,re-music i run a big reggae music area at lowedges every year as well,thanks this has been a intresting thread,some parts you got wrong about me,but thats life thank you,but it does upset me that many firms cannot get staff,even though we have many unemployed thanks

If I couldn't find a better job, then I would work in KFC (for example) but that doesn't mean I would expect others to, if they didn't want that type of work.

For the record, I eat KFC maybe once a year. Don't agree with the way the birds are treated during rearing.

God forbid we should entice people off benefits and into work by offering decent wages and working environments.

Quick Google shows KFC made £129 M profit in 2018 with a typical franchise owner taking home £50-£80 k per annum.

Hardly chicken feed.

Pay people decent wages, train them and staff the outlets properly and the owners will make even more money in the long run as customers will be served quicker, quality goes up and people return in greater numbers more frequently.

It's not the laziness of the unemployed that's the problem,  it's the greed and lack of foresight from KFC and the rest.

i always thought wages were increased via universal credit ect ,as boris says making work pay,so if thats true these jobs can be filled by people out of work,but in life you have to start somewhere and often the recruits move upwards in that job or take there  new skills elsewhere ,which is good,so why wont they take the job and learn new skills and move on to other work? years ago a apprentice worked 7 years on low wages to learn there skills,but also if you work say 35 hours on minimum wage say £9 per hour and you get free food ect thats worth at least 12 hundred pounds a month against being on the dole =about £300 ,if you are married ect you get a top up,if single its a no brainer really.and at least it proves you are willing to work,learn new skills and move up wards within the company or move to a better job,that makes sense to me.

I was an apprentice in the 60s started work at 15, started apprenticeship at 16 finished apprenticeship 21 - (5 years) @ 15 my wage was £1.17.6 if my memory servs I came home with £1.10 I had to make do with dripping cakes

Edited by kidley

also then you did not get top up by the state,so things are better ,but some dont want a job

19 hours ago, bassett one said:

i always thought wages were increased via universal credit ect ,as boris says making work pay,so if thats true these jobs can be filled by people out of work,but in life you have to start somewhere and often the recruits move upwards in that job or take there  new skills elsewhere ,which is good,so why wont they take the job and learn new skills and move on to other work? years ago a apprentice worked 7 years on low wages to learn there skills,but also if you work say 35 hours on minimum wage say £9 per hour and you get free food ect thats worth at least 12 hundred pounds a month against being on the dole =about £300 ,if you are married ect you get a top up,if single its a no brainer really.and at least it proves you are willing to work,learn new skills and move up wards within the company or move to a better job,that makes sense to me.

Indeed, 35 hours per week at £9 is around £1200 per month  - & that is not to be disregarded - but my understanding is that many of the 'contracts' offered by fast food outlets are zero hours contracts.

So consider this:

Week 1 - you get offered 20 hours work @ £9 = £180

Week 2 - you get offered 0 hours work @ £9 = £0

Week 3 - you get offered 5 hours work @£9 = £45

Week 4 - you get offered 1 hours work @ £9 = £9

Can you see the issue here & why people may be unwilling to take on this kind of gig? A hope of £1200 per month turned into a reality of £234 per month - no amount of free burgers (on a Sunday or any other day of the week) is going to make that viable

but with the top ups each week from universal credit and the fact the hours must be there as they have hardly any staff ,plus theres loads of jobs offering minimum 20 or 30 plus hours you have to be better off,our local supermarket want staff minimum 20-30 hours,plus loads more are guaranteed hours ,but you also feel better and it helps you hear about other jobs,plus many employers offer jobs mainly to those they see willing to work and only changing to better there selves,like more hours,or better hours ect.

On 28/06/2022 at 13:54, Mr. Johnson said:

God forbid we should entice people off benefits and into work by offering decent wages and working environments.

Quick Google shows KFC made £129 M profit in 2018 with a typical franchise owner taking home £50-£80 k per annum.

Hardly chicken feed.

Pay people decent wages, train them and staff the outlets properly and the owners will make even more money in the long run as customers will be served quicker, quality goes up and people return in greater numbers more frequently.

It's not the laziness of the unemployed that's the problem,  it's the greed and lack of foresight from KFC and the rest.

KFC don't set wages for the stores. In fact they don't operate any of them. Each one is operated by an independant business trading under licence which gives them access to the branding and supply chain. Everything else is upto the independant including pay rates. 

KFC take a licencing fee + % of profit from the independant. 

what wages and hours are being offered by takeaways and labourers making people say its not worth working?

5 hours ago, bassett one said:

what wages and hours are being offered by takeaways and labourers making people say its not worth working?

KFC £9.70 per hour.

Edited by cgksheff