Fringe events at Delicious Clam, Hatch, Lughole, and Record Junkee too

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Stop being so  ridiculous. Who cares if it's no longer free. The entire event changed dramatically from what it used to be.

Of course it used to be free when it was a piddling little festival hosting a handful of bands that no one heard of.   Of course it was free when it was nothing more than a couple of thousand people casually wondering in and out whenever something took their interest.

Over the years, the festival popularity has hugely increased which of course requires a more suitable location capable of handling tens of thousands, far more resources and staffing which all cost money. Add on the fact that as the festival grew so did the the level of artists who were performing. When you start getting well-known artists attending they also are going to want paying. Long gone are the days when some band turns up and performs for a couple of cans of stones.

As others have said, there are loads of still free smaller gigs and events all over the city this weekend. Get out there and enjoy some of them. Alternatively stay home wallowing in misery about the obvious fact a big event is going to charge spectators for attending.

Er, 'piddling little bands', like Echo and the Bunnymen, Public Enemy, etc.

I also notice many more Dj's this year, and maybe less live bands.

Edited by gamezone07
  • Like 1

we do bands and funfair and more free at lowedges,but went to skegness and they had a reggae ska weekend live bands all free and like us take your own beer if you wish or buy from the outside bars at good prices,we may be only one day,they offered a 3 day free event by lincs council,it was great

The main line up is so dull and dated that they probably would play for a couple of cans of Stones. 

10 minutes ago, Norbert said:

The main line up is so dull and dated that they probably would play for a couple of cans of Stones. 

Really? Me and all our group agree it's a cracking line up. Best value festival in the UK. 

13 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Really? Me and all our group agree it's a cracking line up. Best value festival in the UK. 

Agree with you, great line up.

Shame about the weather tho.

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

I can only imagine you are involved with the festival or are a fifty something who liked music 30 years ago and your taste fossilised. James, Shed 7, Madness give me a break.

pity about the weather,but they can always roll in the mud as well

9 minutes ago, Norbert said:

I can only imagine you are involved with the festival or are a fifty something who liked music 30 years ago and your taste fossilised. James, Shed 7, Madness give me a break

What about Sam Fender, Kasabian, Inhaler, Jade Bird, Declan McKenna, Lady Leshurr, Bad Boy Chiller Crew, Vaccines, The Sheafs, Lottery Winners, Sigrid, Sports Team, Reverend and The Makers, The Wombats, Scouting for  Girls. Etc Etc. Etc. 

No I'm not even 50 but like loads of different music from Opera through to Garage through to Rock through to country and western. Also I like loads of new bands and older ones too. Keeps things fresh tha knows....

And no, I'm not involved with the festival at all... just like to support and encourage all things Sheff. 

4 hours ago, Norbert said:

I can only imagine you are involved with the festival or are a fifty something who liked music 30 years ago and your taste fossilised. James, Shed 7, Madness give me a break.

What if you like plenty of new music but also think James are one of the most entertaining on stage bands still (they are, btw)? Is that allowed, sir?

4 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

What about Sam Fender, Kasabian, Inhaler, Jade Bird, Declan McKenna, Lady Leshurr, Bad Boy Chiller Crew, Vaccines, The Sheafs, Lottery Winners, Sigrid, Sports Team, Reverend and The Makers, The Wombats, Scouting for  Girls. Etc Etc. Etc. 

This is not the same list I was commenting on from a few pages back.

From this new list Sheafs, Lottery Winners, Sports Team are ok but I'm never going to feel passionate about them as it's all been done with more talent and imagination. I'd pay a few quid not to see most of the rest.

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

What if you like plenty of new music but also think James are one of the most entertaining on stage bands still (they are, btw)? Is that allowed, sir?

Sir? Oh dear

Guest sibon

Anyway. If you don’t like Shed 7 or James, the Dorothy Pax have taken Canal Lines on holiday to Heeley this year. All free, all weekend and Heeley People’s park is surrounded by great drinking and eating establishments.

I’m off to see the Bowie Contingent in a while. Say hello if you see me.

Edited by sibon