Wi Fi Turn Off Or Not ,

3 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

should you turn it off when not in use  ??????

Just leave it on    Costs next to nothing 

If you mean your router, they are designed to stay on...

If you mean the WiFi on your phone/laptop etc - when you are not using the WiFi, then yes - it could save some battery life if you do, but it's not a MUST!!

Like Ghozer said, if its my phone i only turn it on when needed, also turn blue tooth off until needed. Routers generally stay on, you could turn it off to save a small bit of electric in these trying times but....

and things like sky and i presume other boxes, tvs etc can do updates in the middle of the night and so wont if the routers off

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Routers generally stay on, you could turn it off to save a small bit of electric in these trying times but....

I generally wouldn't do this if your connection uses the phoneline, because the exchanges monitor your connection, if it detects it drops out regularly, it can believe there is a fault, and reduce your speed to try and stabilize the connection.

not saying this WILL happen, but it can, and has a higher chance the more you turn your router off..

• Like 1

A typical router has running costs of about £25pa (10watts) currently, which will probably go up to nearer £40pa by early next year.

Unless you go crazy, turning it off at night or when out won't have any negative effect on the speed, and could improve it. You will be issued with a new IP address, which aids privacy. Also, why sleep in a sea of radio waves if you don't have to.

"They are designed to stay on" is like saying your microwave or your tv is designed to stay on, it's meaningless. If something doesn't need to be on, it doesn't need to be on.

Edited by fools

49 minutes ago, fools said:

A typical router has running costs of about £25pa (10watts) currently, which will probably go up to nearer £40pa by early next year.

Unless you go crazy, turning it off at night or when out won't have any negative effect on the speed, and could improve it. You will be issued with a new IP address, which aids privacy. Also, why sleep in a sea of radio waves if you don't have to.

"They are designed to stay on" is like saying your microwave or your tv is designed to stay on, it's meaningless. If something doesn't need to be on, it doesn't need to be on.

Don't want to get into an argument, but modem/routers are designed to stay on, for at least a couple of reasons (1) constantly turning them off/on could fool DLM into thinking there is a connectivity issue, causing the system to reduce your speed/increase the noise margin (2) constant off/on actions will reduce the lifespan of the equipment. There are other reasons for leaving the gear powered up, but I'll not go into them here.

with respect.. these are urban myths, just like defragging.

point 1 already addressed

point 2 irrelevant - slightly amazed this one still comes up. Does everyone go round their houses making sure stuff is left on just in case a capacitor blows once every couple of decades. We are supposed to be saving money and the planet, not the opposite.

If you have a digital landline plugged into the router, you may want to leave it on for emergencies, that's the only valid reason.

Edited by fools

8 minutes ago, fools said:

with respect.. these are urban myths, just like defragging.

point 1 already addressed

point 2 irrelevant - slightly amazed this one still comes up. Does everyone go round their houses making sure stuff is left on just in case a capacitor blows once every couple of decades. We are supposed to be saving money and the planet, not the opposite.

If you have a digital landline plugged into the router, you may want to leave it on for emergencies, that's the only valid reason.

Okay - have it your way, but I still think I'll trust the advice of qualified network and BT engineers. I'll turn your question round - do you go round turning the fridge/freezer/clocks off every night to 'save' a bit of power?

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Okay - have it your way, but I still think I'll trust the advice of qualified network and BT engineers. I'll turn your question round - do you go round turning the fridge/freezer/clocks off every night to 'save' a bit of power?

Perhaps you should trust the advice of someone with experience, rather than what you've read on the internet.

Unless you've actually tried to turn off your router repeatedly and observed the lack of negative consequences (often repeated on sites like this), you are inevitably talking from a position of ignorance. They have an operating system, just like a pc, which also benefits from a boot every now and then. A static ip also opens you up to hacking.

Being a 'qualified' network engineer doesn't necessarily mean they have the faintest idea what they are talking about. There are unbelievably stupid people operating in every industry.

Do you leave your tv on 24/7 to avoid thermal shock.

If a house is empty, a clock doesn't need to be on, does it, whereas a fridge/freezer does.

Edited by fools

As I said above, I don't want to argue, and you seem determined to do so. The individuals I am referring to have been in the industry for many years - as have I (network, not BT) and as I know them personally, I'd trust them above a SF poster.