This Could Be The Biggest Recession Since The 1930s

1 minute ago, sibon said:

I see that this thread, which started out as a rational analysis of the problems we face, has descended into another Justin rant about how terrible lockdown was.

It was terrible Justin. But necessarily so.

His first post mentioned the pandemic early on , so I knew what was coming 

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

His first post mentioned the pandemic early on , so I knew what was coming 

I’ve seen him post before, so I had guessed too.

He’ll soo be ranting about speeding,, Audi drivers, and not being allowed to stick his fingers in a plug socket, whilst simultaneously poking his head out of a train window.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

I’ve seen him post before, so I had guessed too.

He’ll soo be ranting about speeding,, Audi drivers, and not being allowed to stick his fingers in a plug socket, whilst simultaneously poking his head out of a train window.

To look for bandits 😀

33 minutes ago, sibon said:

I see that this thread, which started out as a rational analysis of the problems we face, has descended into another Justin rant about how terrible lockdown was.

It was terrible Justin. But necessarily so.

'Necessary' is debatable, but that notwithstanding, the mess we are in goes back far further than the pandemic, to the global financial crisis, caused by the banks, and then 10 years of 'Austerity' which followed and was certainly not necessary. It left us in a pitiful state to meet the Brexit vote (which I maintain was as much about people's general discontent as it was about leaving the EU,) and let's not forget, was fulsomely encouraged by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove. Then the  pandemic that was met by an NHS at it's lowest eb thanks to 10 years of cuts and said austerity.

Add to that the fact that the country had been coasting along for years on the cheap, by not building enough houses or power plants, and employing cheap foreign workers, and failing  to train up young people to do the jobs that were required, not just doctors and nurses but plumbers, builders, lorry drivers, carpenters and all the trades that keep the country going.

We are now at the centre of a perfect storm thanks to twelve years of gross mismanagement, and failed policies which have only succeeded in making the rich richer at the expense of everyone else. We now face a Summer of discontent, and the harshest of winters and it seems those in power haven't a clue how to deal with it. 

Edited by Anna B

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

'Necessary' is debatable, but that notwithstanding, the mess we are in goes back far further than the pandemic, to the global financial crisis, caused by the banks, and then 10 years of 'Austerity' which followed and was certainly not necessary. It left us in a pitiful state to meet the Brexit vote (which I maintain was as much about people's general discontent as it was about leaving the EU,) and let's not forget, was fulsomely encouraged by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove. Then the  pandemic that was met by an NHS at it's lowest eb thanks to 10 years of cuts and said austerity.

Add to that the fact that the country had been coasting along for years on the cheap, by not building enough houses or power plants, and employing cheap foreign workers and failing  to train up young people to do the jobs that were required, not just doctors and nurses but plumbers, builders, lorry drivers, carpenters and all the trades that keep the country going.

We are now at the centre of a perfect storm thanks to twelve years of gross mismanagement, and failed policies which have only succeeded in making the rich richer at the expense of everyone else. We now face a Summer of discontent, and the harshest of winters and it seems those in power haven't a clue how to deal with it. 

“It’s the Tories fault”  would be  easier to type and cut out the waffle 

Guest sibon
17 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

“It’s the Tories fault”  would be  easier to type and cut out the waffle 

Much of it is. 

They’ve been in charge for over a decade.

One of the things about being in charge is that you should anticipate problems and mitigate them.

The Tory governments since 2010 have done the opposite. They have exacerbated problems.

Edited by sibon

40 minutes ago, sibon said:

Much of it is. 

They’ve been in charge for over a decade.

One of the things about being in charge is that you should anticipate problems and mitigate them.

The Tory governments since 2010 have done the opposite. They have exacerbated problems.

Too easy mate 

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Add to that the fact that the country had been coasting along for years on the cheap, by not building enough houses or power plants, and employing cheap foreign workers, and failing  to train up young people to do the jobs that were required, not just doctors and nurses but plumbers, builders, lorry drivers, carpenters and all the trades that keep the country going.

Right on cue 

Some folk appear to want to be scared of anything and everything, they are still wearing masks when driving/walking solo, I find it really amusing when they spot you walking towards them say, in the Peak Park, and take a massively exaggerated diversion. How these folk would handle something like living in WW2 is anyones guess.

Edited by crookesey

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Some folk appear to want to be scared of anything and everything, they are still wearing masks when driving/walking solo, I find it really amusing when they spot you walking towards them say, in the Peak Park, and take a massively exaggerated diversion. How these folk would handle something like living in WW2 is anyones guess.

It must have been awful living through the blitz  ,some thing you will never forget .

5 hours ago, crookesey said:

What's the British obsession with comparing every thing to WW2? Are people not allowed to complain/be concerned about anything unless it's worse that WW2?

9 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's the British obsession with comparing every thing to WW2? Are people not allowed to complain/be concerned about anything unless it's worse that WW2?

Possibly some examples of your accusation would further your case