Sheffield Bus Garages

2 hours ago, Padders said:

And Townhead St.

bramall lane  bus depot    shut in61

19 hours ago, cgksheff said:

No.

Your original question was mistaken.

There never was a bus garage/depot on East Bank Road.

There was one named East Bank and that was later renamed Olive Grove.

And Townhead St.

townhead street was above another bus depot(formely a tram shed) Tenter Street

And Townhead St.

another former tram shed was Shoreham St later opened up to Leadmill Rd

Edited by wagginfinger

32 minutes ago, wagginfinger said:

townhead street was above another bus depot(formely a tram shed) Tenter Street

another former tram shed was Shoreham St later opened up to Leadmill Rd

Holme Lane  and Weedon Street also had tram sheds

Guest busdriver1

When sold off, Mainline only had rental agreements on the depots and fairly soon left East Bank depot to concentrate on Herries Road, Halfway and Greenland Road, in Sheffield. Rotherham and Doncaster Depots remained. East Bank became a go kart track for a while then closed and lay empty for a while. An offer was made for the Greenland road premises and they decided to buy  the now empty East Bank depot and for political reasons renamed it olive grove depot. (To prevent old seniorities being raised). The site opposite that was originally S.U.T. was taken over with the takeover of Sheafline and the site was flattened to provide outdoor parking for buses. The size of this "new" depot meant that Herries road could be closed and the vehicles parked on the Charlotte Road site.  The Yorkshire Terrier depot at Halfway and Andrews Sheffield depot at Ecclesfield were merged into one operation when taken over by Yorkshire Traction and subsequently passed with that operator to Stagecoach and remain as such. Following reductions in services Halfway became the next depot to close with buses being split between Rotherham and Olive grove. In more recent times Rotherham closed with 70% going to Olive Grove and 30% to Doncaster. 

The other site near East Bank was the Central works that were vacated at deregulation and formed the first depot of Yorkshire Terrier before they sold it and moved to Halfway where they remain albeit now as Stagecoach.

4 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

First has not only Olive Grove but also Doncaster (Leicester Avenue?)

Your list of ex-STD garages omitted a few: Leadmill Road, Halfway [ex-Booth & Fisher), and Midland Road [Rotherham].

Midland Road and Halfway wern't STD garages.

17 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

It always has been a council depot, since the 1960's in fact. The far end near Midhill Road was used a a repair shop for a while in the 1970's when the depot was part of SYCC.

There were never any buses stored there as far as I know, and by the time I arrived at Olive Grove in the mid 1980's they had long gone.

I think East Bank bus garage was closed when the site at Midland Road in Rotherham opened, so that probably coincides with leaving Olive. East Bank was used as an indoor karting venue for some years before  becoming Olive Grove bus depot again.

Although the main entrance is on Olive Grove Road they was once access from East Bank Road, there is evidence of a driveway leading down to the bus park, but whether it was ever used I have no idea.

I don't remember much about the original "Olive Grove" garage. I don't think it lasted long. I seem to remember people starting there (when I was at Central Works) and being on the "dead" shift i.e. permanent afternoons. This would have been in the years just before deregulation. Maybe 1885??

I know there are other former SYPTE employees on here and certain they also worked, albeit temporary at "Olive Grove". I also seem to remember one of the apprentice's dad was the manager there but can't remember names.  

19 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

When sold off, Mainline only had rental agreements on the depots and fairly soon left East Bank depot to concentrate on Herries Road, Halfway and Greenland Road, in Sheffield. Rotherham and Doncaster Depots remained. East Bank became a go kart track for a while then closed and lay empty for a while. An offer was made for the Greenland road premises and they decided to buy  the now empty East Bank depot and for political reasons renamed it olive grove depot. (To prevent old seniorities being raised). The site opposite that was originally S.U.T. was taken over with the takeover of Sheafline and the site was flattened to provide outdoor parking for buses. The size of this "new" depot meant that Herries road could be closed and the vehicles parked on the Charlotte Road site.  The Yorkshire Terrier depot at Halfway and Andrews Sheffield depot at Ecclesfield were merged into one operation when taken over by Yorkshire Traction and subsequently passed with that operator to Stagecoach and remain as such. Following reductions in services Halfway became the next depot to close with buses being split between Rotherham and Olive grove. In more recent times Rotherham closed with 70% going to Olive Grove and 30% to Doncaster. 

The other site near East Bank was the Central works that were vacated at deregulation and formed the first depot of Yorkshire Terrier before they sold it and moved to Halfway where they remain albeit now as Stagecoach.

Now then Mr. Busdriver, a question.....

Do bus drivers still do suet ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alexander874 said:

Midland Road and Halfway wern't STD garages.

True. I can't remember if they survived SYPTE becoming SYT becoming Mainline becoming First.

Current Sheffield depots are:

First - Olive Grove

Stagecoach - Holbrook and Ecclesfield

TM Travel - Halfway

Sheffield Community Transport - Montgomery Terrace

Also operating in our area are:

Hulleys of Baslow - depot in Baslow

Powells - depot in Hellaby, Rotherham

Stagecoach buses from Stonegravels depot in Chesterfield and Stagecoach buses from Mansfield depot

First buses from Doncaster depot.

• Like 1