Male Blood Donor Turned Away For Not Answering If He Was Pregnant Or Not.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

But the question was asked of the 60 year old man for the purpose of promoting inclusiveness - not for any medical reason.

so the donation was lost because they wanted to a 60 year old man to confirm if he was pregnant or not to promote inclusiveness - which he didnt want to.

So the blood bank failed in its one true role - to

obtain blood from a willing donor.

You are quite right. He didn't want to because he wanted to be petty, childish attention seeker whose gone showing off for the papers for his 5 minutes of fame.  

The clinic failed at nothing. They did exactly what they were supposed to do. Refuse to accept a donation from a uncooperative antagonistic donor who was  refusing to follow a routine information request and compliance with paperwork.  

I could not give a toss if he was a 60-year old who had done it many times before. Rules change, procedures change, most adults deal with that quite normally.   However, if this ass chooses to throw a petty tantrum like a toddler...says far more about him.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka
Just now, ECCOnoob said:

refusing to follow a routine information request and compliance with paperwork.

Why should you be presented with paperwork to complete and questions to answer  - unrelated to your willingness to donate blood?

Should you have to tell them how much money you have in your bank before you give blood? Whether you own your own home? Which political party you support.

why is the blood bank asking these questions as a pre cursor to taking a donation from a willing member of the public?

9 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Why should you be presented with paperwork to complete and questions to answer  - unrelated to your willingness to donate blood?

Should you have to tell them how much money you have in your bank before you give blood? Whether you own your own home? Which political party you support.

why is the blood bank asking these questions as a pre cursor to taking a donation from a willing member of the public?

Errrm..... I would suspect that the routine of checking and accurately recording someone's medical history and conditions before they extract blood out of them and pump it into someone else is pretty relevant.

I know you are not that dense. So stop trying to derail the issue with your ridiculous irrelevant examples.  We are not talking about income, we are not talking about political allegiance.

It's a routine medical document in a medical setting involving blood transfusion. You therefore know full well why such question would be on the proforma questionnaire. You know full well why they would have been asked and you know full well why said donor should have answered it like a normal reasonable person instead of their pathetic showing off.

What other forms, data, procedures does said donor think the clinic should be assuming or second guessing or ignoring because of "common sense".  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka
Just now, West 77 said:

They ask whether a willing member of the public is pregnant because a pregnant person and the baby are at risk if they donate blood during the pregnancy and as a consequence are not allowed to give blood. 

Yeah but they haven’t previously insisted  60 year old men confirm that they are not pregnant - but did so to promote inclusiveness.

so whatever your views are on the man himself - the blood bank lost a donation in their pursuit of promoting inclusiveness- which the blood bank isn’t there to do - it’s primary function should be to get blood from anyone willing to donate their own blood to help others.

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:
10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Errrm..... I would suspect that the routine of checking and accurately recording someone's medical history and conditions before they extract blood out of them and pump it into someone else is pretty relevant.

But this question was unrelated to his medical history in this instance - given it was clear that he wouldn’t be pregnant - a response was only insisted on in order to promote inclusiveness - by the blood banks own admission. 

the blood bank knew he wasn’t pregnant.

21 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Yeah but they haven’t previously insisted  60 year old men confirm that they are not pregnant - but did so to promote inclusiveness.

so whatever your views are on the man himself - the blood bank lost a donation in their pursuit of promoting inclusiveness- which the blood bank isn’t there to do - it’s primary function should be to get blood from anyone willing to donate their own blood to help others.

But this question was unrelated to his medical history in this instance - given it was clear that he wouldn’t be pregnant - a response was only insisted on in order to promote inclusiveness - by the blood banks own admission. 

the blood bank knew he wasn’t pregnant.

No they didn't because the donor was an uncooperative ass who refused to answer and complete the form.   

All the clinic could do was to assume he wasn't which is not the same thing. Something that no healthcare setting is going to apply in this litigious and heavily regulated day and age.

The bank are not just promoting  inclusiveness like some flag-waving exercise, they are making damn sure that their paperwork and procedures reflect the changing times. They are making sure that everything is recorded across the board for all their potential donors in all potential physiological and gender circumstances.

Just give it up and stop trying to defend this prat. Even the newspaper he went running to ain't quite on side, amazingly for once, many in the Daily Mail comments section are calling him out for the petty and childish idiot he was.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No they didn't because the donor was uncooperative ass who refused to answer and complete the form.   

All the clinic could do was to assume he wasn't which is not the same thing. Something that no Healthcare setting is going to apply in this litigious and heavily regulated day and age.

The question wasn’t asked for the purpose of establishing if the man was pregnant in this instance - it was done to promote inclusiveness.

which is why the other examples of unnecessary questions are relevant to a degree. 

what might the next social priority the blood bank make as note important than receiving blood from willing donors?

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

They may have not use  to ask 70 year old women if they are pregnant before they are allowed to have an endoscopy but they do now.  The reason such questions are asked is for the safety of people having an endoscopy and people donating blood.  I've never heard of a 70 year old woman complaining when asked whether she is pregnant on a form to be allowed to give blood or for any other health related reasons.

He wasn’t refused for not answering the  question for health reasons - the question was there to promote inclusiveness.

8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

The question wasn’t asked for the purpose of establishing if the man was pregnant in this instance - it was done to promote inclusiveness.

which is why the other examples of unnecessary questions are relevant to a degree. 

what might the next social priority the blood bank make as note important than receiving blood from willing donors?

I don't give a flying fig why you think the question was asked.  The fact is, it was asked as part of their procedure, the donor chose to refuse to answer.  Non-cooperation = incomplete paperwork = no acceptable donation. 

All fault is with the donor. How is this hard to understand.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't give a flying fig why are you think the question was asked.  The fact is, it was asked as part of their procedure, the donor chose to refuse to answer.  Non-cooperation = incomplete paperwork = no acceptable donation. 

All fault is with the donor. How is this hard to understand.  

I don’t think that was why it was asked - they confirmed that’s why it was asked.

So why is it hard to understand the issue as to why the blood bank would lose a donation on account of a completely different priority to what the blood bank is designed to do - ie obtain donors blood. 

13 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I don’t think that was why it was asked - they confirmed that’s why it was asked.

So why is it hard to understand the issue as to why the blood bank would lose a donation on account of a completely different priority to what the blood bank is designed to do - ie obtain donors blood. 

So in your world then..... if that is their number one priority they are free to get donors blood by all and any means possible no matter what.

No rules, no procedures, no checks, no paperwork, no screening, no auditing, no control-  don't matter as long as we get a donation right?  So you find it perfectly acceptable if faced with a similar situation for the clinic to rollover, be bullied into accepting the pathetic demands of some uncooperative donor and just fill in the forms anyway with some guesswork? 

Yeah I'll stick with professionals thank you.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka
8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So in your world then..... if that is their number one priority they are free to get donors blood by all and any means possible no matter what.

No of course not. I’ve never said that once.

but they shouldn’t insist on answers to questions that aren’t required on the grounds of it being important to promote inclusivity. Like as to whether a 60 year old man is pregnant.

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I'm not a big fan of this inclusiveness malarkey and political correctness that is plaguing the modern world

I am a fan of inclusiveness - I don’t think it should be prioritised over matters of receiving blood though. 

The guy is  a tosser…end of.

If he genuinely intended to give blood to help save someone’s life he would have just ticked the box ,yes.

I guess  he’s just enjoying  the publicity he’s created.

My  late wife received a number of blood transfusions thanks to  many blood donors.

Me….I’m still alive and kicking thanks to the family who followed the wishes of a family member willing to donate their organs after death,

I have a new kidney  and my life moves on.

To the unknown  family I’m forever grateful.

Please…talk  to your family.

We will all die one day.

Let then know your wishes after death

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Allen said:

The guy is  a tosser…end of.

If he genuinely intended to give blood to help save someone’s life he would have just ticked the box ,yes.

I guess  he’s just enjoying  the publicity he’s created.

My  late wife received a number of blood transfusions thanks to  many blood donors.

Me….I’m still alive and kicking thanks to the family who followed the wishes of a family member willing to donate their organs after death,

I have a new kidney  and my life moves on.

To the unknown  family I’m forever grateful.

Please…talk  to your family.

We will all die one day.

Let then know your wishes after death

Agree.     :thumbsup: