Male Blood Donor Turned Away For Not Answering If He Was Pregnant Or Not.

13 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I had a DO NOT DISTURB on my office door this morning due to having an important video call.

Three members of staff ignored it and just walked in. Not 3 at once, three separate occasions.

And these people are teachers.

Before they get to us, we have a menu board, people walk straight past it and ask us what food we do and how much. We state no dogs only service dogs allowed, the other day 4 lots of people tried bringing dogs in. We have a price of admission on a sign, so they walk past it and ask how much admission is.

Weve just had to alter our evening sessions after the loss of a chef, while i was still putting a sign into the menu board saying we are only open friday and saturday evenings for the immediate future, i heard a couple talking to each other saying we are ONLY open friday and saturday evenings lol, had to get the manager to change that to make it clearer it only affects evenings not daytimes. Signs and the public are a constant battle.

Oh yeah and the biggie

we have 2 main signs, one for the bar and grill bit (it says free to enter onboard bar and grill), and 1 sign that says its £5 to enter the museum bit. Because they dont read the first sign fully (including the bar and grill bit which is underneath the onboard bit) they think its free for the whole lot, then theres those that think its free for the museum after theyve eaten, which not one single sign even mentions), one person even said to my face thats its a con, and we are conning them, when i said you need to pay separately to access the museum bit, we arent being devious or doing a con, they just made something up in their head after reading the free onboard bit.

Edited by melthebell

26 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I had a DO NOT DISTURB on my office door this morning due to having an important video call.

Three members of staff ignored it and just walked in. Not 3 at once, three separate occasions.

And these people are teachers.

Our pub quiz team did quite well until we took two head teachers into it.

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

For the very very good reason that said donor refused to comply with mandatory form filling and data collection as required by the clinic before accepting their blood donation.

"Should have been common sense" doesn't cut it when dealing with mandatory legalities or negligence claims or failures in procedure or failure in compliance.  

I know you seem to have some rose tinted nostalgic view of how the world works and have always shown some criticism of the amounts of paperwork that carers and nurses et al have to be filling in, instead of patting the hands and chatting away to patients like some scene out of Carry On Matron.... but life doesn't work like that.

If there was some scandal come out about blood transfusion service errors or some infection outbreak I can guarantee you'd be first on here criticising the government, criticising the management, criticising the board, criticising the supervisors for not filling in the right forms, for not doing the right compliance checks,  for not following procedures and for not supervising properly. 

Simple fact is this Donor was entitled ass who was trying to prove some pathetic point. He should be reminded every single day that his petty and pathetic actions could have potentially killed someone.

I don't know how much you have been involved with the NHS of late, but I have had much experience lately both as a patient, relative, advocate and friend. Believe me when I say it has many, many problems from the  small to the life threatening. Every mistake investigated usually results not in a review/reform of practice, but an extra form to fill in. 

There are now so many, that they are never read. That would take the biggest part of a morning to do and no one has the time, so things are routinely missed. A diabetic patient not given insulin, and on the wrong diet, because no one read his notes, and it wasn't discovered until he lapsed into a coma...  Drugs given but not swallowed because the glass of water is out of reach, and then removed by an orderly when the patient is asleep. When the patient mentions it he is not believed because  the computer says he has had them. Meals repeatedly given, but not touched, and taken away goes unmentioned for several days because shift patterns mean no one has noticed.  Yet the patient is asked over and over again to repeatthe same information readily available in their notes. Probably because it's quicker, but the wrong information is passed on via word of mouth, communication is not good in hospitals, it becomes like a game of Chinese whispers.

Meanwhile the nurses spend nearly all their time standing at computers inputting basic data collected by the care assistants who do the hands on work, but they have no say in the care of the patient, and doctor's are as rare as hen's teeth.

A lot of basic but important stuff is missed. It's not because there are  not enough staff, but because it's just not considered quantifiable data that will fit on a spreadsheet. But as a picture of the patient as a whole person whose general wellbeing and mood will help them recover, it's essential. 

Edited by Anna B

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

For the very very good reason that said donor refused to comply with mandatory form filling and data collection as required by the clinic before accepting their blood donation.

"Should have been common sense" doesn't cut it when dealing with mandatory legalities or negligence claims or failures in procedure or failure in compliance.  

The guy has donated blood for years hundreds of times , why has this question suddenly appeared on the form now?

Simple fact is this Donor was entitled ass who was trying to prove some pathetic point. He should be reminded every single day that his petty and pathetic actions could have potentially killed someone.

You've gone a bit off the deep end there haven't you?! giving blood is entirely voluntary.

Edited by HumbleNarrator

Guest makapaka
On 24/06/2022 at 20:56, HumbleNarrator said:

You've gone a bit off the deep end there haven't you?! giving blood is entirely voluntary.

One of the main points of the whole argument that no one is considering.

he really didn’t have to be there at all.

To be fair if I'd volunteered to give blood and was asked that question I'd likely refuse to answer it.

As a Mr, I'd be concerned that medical professionals would even ask that question of me so yeah, I'd refuse to answer it too.

Would I go public and make a big fuss about it though?

Probably not.

So you want then to fanny around producing and printing seperate forms for different genders?

Thats the next outrage sorted then. "I am a man and they gave me the form for women".

34 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you want then to fanny around producing and printing seperate forms for different genders?

Thats the next outrage sorted then. "I am a man and they gave me the form for women".

Is that question for me?

48 minutes ago, makapaka said:

One of the main points of the whole argument that no one is considering.

he really didn’t have to be there at all.

On 24/06/2022 at 20:56, HumbleNarrator said:

The guy has donated blood for years hundreds of times , why has this question suddenly appeared on the form now?

So what?  Why do people keep bringing up the voluntary aspect as if it's somehow relevant.

If I volunteer to drive a patient to a hospital I still have to abide by all the rules and regulations of the road.

If I volunteer to help out in some day centre or school, I still have to a comply with all the relevant paperwork, regulations and checks.

If I volunteer to donate some blood which is going to be pumped into a completely different human being, I am expected to comply with all the relevant forms, questions and paperwork as set by the medical facility.

Most reasonable people who've evolved from Neanderthal and kept up to date with the changing world, will perfectly understand why  such a question exists in routine procedure. All this nonsense about "it should be obvious" to the clinic, or "he's been doing it for years" or "they should just know" or whatever other lame excuse gets thrown out isn't relevant. As said before, the clinic has a duty to follow strict procedure and ensure full full compliance with all necessary paperwork. To do otherwise would jeopardise their own jobs, the clinic and potentially the receiving patient.

The answer to the question would have took a second but instead this arrogant, moronic attention seeker has made a big deal out of it - to try and prove some pathetic point. There's only one person to blame for there being one less donation that week and it's them/him/her/whatever.

We all know why the media has reported it because it's their job to sell papers with catchy headlines and soundbites. In an ideal world, this moronic crybaby attention seeker should have been told to go shove it.   Told to grow up.  Told to stop being such an intolerant and backwards tool.

Fat chance. The protagonist has got what they wanted this very thread is all part of it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Is that question for me?

Its an open question to anyone who is proposing it as a solution.

Edited by HeHasRisen

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Its an open question to anyone who is proposing it as a solution.

Fair enough matey.

It's a good question 👍

Guest makapaka
52 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

To do otherwise would jeopardise their own jobs, the clinic and potentially the receiving patient.

But the question was asked of the 60 year old man for the purpose of promoting inclusiveness - not for any medical reason.

so the donation was lost because they wanted to a 60 year old man to confirm if he was pregnant or not to promote inclusiveness - which he didnt want to.

So the blood bank failed in its one true role - to

obtain blood from a willing donor.

Edited by makapaka