Parking In The City Centre, Cash Or Card?

Do the pay and display machines in the city centre take cash, I need to get near the Town Hall and was thinking of parking around Campo Lane, Townhead Street and walking on.

Is google not working

Campo lane, townhead both accept cash

14 hours ago, iansheff said:

Do the pay and display machines in the city centre take cash, I need to get near the Town Hall and was thinking of parking around Campo Lane, Townhead Street and walking on.

All the Sheffield Council pay and display machines take cash.

I use pay by phone app you don't have to go near the machine, just get the number or the app will find machine number 

Well I got into town around 9.20 and was surprised at all the parking spaces on Townhead Street, then when I got out of the car and went to pay I understood why there were plenty of spaces, £6 for 2 hours, they are taking the p***. I went back to the car and drove down to Solly Street  Scotland Street where it was half the price for 2 hours.  Are the council trying to price motorists out of going into the city centre because at those prices I won't be going back in the car.

A bit off the parking topic, I walked down Fargate which must have been my first time in about 8 years, I couldn't believe how run down the place has become. Empty shops not and many people about, looking down Chapel Walk what used to be a thriving little street, I saw one person. 

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Well I got into town around 9.20 and was surprised at all the parking spaces on Townhead Street, then when I got out of the car and went to pay I understood why there were plenty of spaces, £6 for 2 hours, they are taking the p***. I went back to the car and drove down to Solly street where it was half the price for 2 hours.  Are the council trying to price motorists out of going into the city centre because at those prices I won't be going back in the car.

A bit off the parking topic, I walked down Fargate which must have been my first time in about 8 years, I couldn't believe how run down the place has become. Empty shops not and many people about, looking down Chapel Walk what used to be a thriving little street, I saw one person. 

On street parking in the city centre is for short stays, priced accordingly so they don't fill up with city centre workers at the start of the day and remain unavailable for the entire day. There are loads of much cheaper options for longer stays, I could park all day in the city centre for a fiver.

Where's the on-street parking meters on Solly St?

Agreed on Fargate and Chapel Walk.

Edited by Bargepole23

Apologies it is Scotland Street not Solly Street.

I agree they don't want people who work in the centre parking there all day but it is a joke,  the price starts at £1.50 for 30 mins at Townhead Street. Almost opposite Solly Street there is a sign £5 to park all day or 50p an hour but I couldn't see where the entrance was and I had an appointment so no time for running around.

Edited by iansheff

On 24/06/2022 at 15:29, iansheff said:

I agree they don't want people who work in the centre parking there all day but it is a joke,  the price starts at £1.50 for 30 mins at Townhead Street. 

It’s just what you pay to park in the centre of a major city nowadays. Council parking in Sheffield is still cheaper than council controlled parking in nearby cities like Leeds ( £3.30/hour on street) and Manchester ( £4.50 / hour in central car parks).

12 hours ago, Planner1 said:

It’s just what you pay to park in the centre of a major city nowadays. Council parking in Sheffield is still cheaper than council controlled parking in nearby cities like Leeds ( £3.30/hour on street) and Manchester ( £4.50 / hour in central car parks).

It maybe Sheffield is cheaper but the lack of people on Fargate and High Street says that something is wrong when people are not going there. The price of on road parking is not going to help encourage people to go there, surely cheaper prices would entice more people to visit. I have just seen a picture of Fargate on a FB group called "Sheffield back in day", it was taken  25.1.2022 Time 11.30am. and there was hardly anyone about.