Heatwave

The news is full of it, complete with health warnings and all sorts of dire thoughts. What happened to being allowed to enjoy a bit of much needed sunshine in June?  And since when did the weather revolve around London and the South East. It's not so hot in Darlington where it's cold and cloudy, as for poor old Scotland and Lerwick, forget it. I would imagine the average for the UK is nothing out of the ordinary, and anyway it's going to be all over by Sunday, as per usual in the UK.

I remember the glorious Summer of 19 76 when we had 3 months of countrywide sunshine and soaring temperatures up in the 30's, and in spite of water shortages, we had a great time without all the dire warnings of doom and gloom. 

We are all meant to be terrified of global warming, so they can impose all sorts of controls and restrictions on us, when there is much they can do at the top with industry, and production methods etc (Amazon packaging for example is ridiculous,) but they won't touch them. There's no joined up thinking. I'm fed up of being fed doom and gloom all the time..., crikey it's hard enough to stay cheerful these days  

Edited by Anna B

Funny you mention it, as they only recently ran a piece detailing how people are increasingly turning away from news sources that run negative news stories.

An increasing number of people are turning away from the news because it lowers their mood, new research suggests.

The Reuters Institute's digital news report suggests that almost four in 10 (38%) say they often or sometimes avoid the news - up from 29% in 2017

_125403675_optimised-digital_news_countr

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

There's no joined up thinking. I'm fed up of being fed doom and gloom all the time..., crikey it's hard enough to stay cheerful these days  

Oh dear Anna,

And were about to be invaded by the Asian Giant Hornet..(known as Killer Hornet's)

Best keep your windows closed..

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

fed up of being fed doom and gloom all the time..., crikey it's hard enough to stay cheerful these days  

Might I suggest stop creating threads as a means of moaning about insignificant things!

https://youtu.be/yQ6j-hZtfNE

Phil Normana and the Upstarts, if my memory serves.

Enjoy it . In a few months there will be moaning about the frost 

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

The news is full of it, complete with health warnings and all sorts of dire thoughts. What happened to being allowed to enjoy a bit of much needed sunshine in June?  And since when did the weather revolve around London and the South East. It's not so hot in Darlington where it's cold and cloudy, as for poor old Scotland and Lerwick, forget it. I would imagine the average for the UK is nothing out of the ordinary, and anyway it's going to be all over by Sunday, as per usual in the UK.

I remember the glorious Summer of 19 76 when we had 3 months of countrywide sunshine and soaring temperatures up in the 30's, and in spite of water shortages, we had a great time without all the dire warnings of doom and gloom. 

We are all meant to be terrified of global warming, so they can impose all sorts of controls and restrictions on us, when there is much they can do at the top with industry, and production methods etc (Amazon packaging for example is ridiculous,) but they won't touch them. There's no joined up thinking. I'm fed up of being fed doom and gloom all the time..., crikey it's hard enough to stay cheerful these days  

From Wikipedia....

"The drought was at its most severe in August 1976 and in response parliament passed the Drought Act 1976.[6] Parts of the south west went 45 days without any rain in July and August. As the hot and dry weather continued, devastating heath and forest fires broke out in parts of Southern England. 50,000 trees were destroyed at Hurn Forest in Dorset. Crops were badly hit, with £500 million worth of crops failing. Food prices subsequently increased by 12%"

"The 1976 heatwave is understood to have been the cause of 20% 'excess deaths' and there were significantly more hospital emergency admissions from 24 June to 8 July 1976 than for the same period in 1975 or 1974.[11] This compares to 59% excess deaths for the 2003 heatwave"

From Anna B

"we had a great time"

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

From Wikipedia....

"The drought was at its most severe in August 1976 and in response parliament passed the Drought Act 1976.[6] Parts of the south west went 45 days without any rain in July and August. As the hot and dry weather continued, devastating heath and forest fires broke out in parts of Southern England. 50,000 trees were destroyed at Hurn Forest in Dorset. Crops were badly hit, with £500 million worth of crops failing. Food prices subsequently increased by 12%"

"The 1976 heatwave is understood to have been the cause of 20% 'excess deaths' and there were significantly more hospital emergency admissions from 24 June to 8 July 1976 than for the same period in 1975 or 1974.[11] This compares to 59% excess deaths for the 2003 heatwave"

From Anna B

"we had a great time"

I remember Denis Howell MP being appointed Minister for Drought. He'd only been in post a few days when the heavens opened!

This is from the Birmingham Mail.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/memories-of-brum-mp-mp-denis-68929

Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought during the baking hot summer of 1976. He was charged by the Prime Minister with the task of persuading the nation to use less water – and was even ordered by No. 10 to do a rain dance on behalf of the nation.

The appointment provoked much public mirth, but in true Brummie style, the Lozells-born MP responded by inviting reporters to his then Moseley home where he revealed the solution to water rationing was sharing the bath with his wife!

As luck or design would have it, Mr Howell succeeded in getting the heavens to open within a few days of his appointment. And, as the heavy rainfall continued, he soon became known as the Minister for Floods.

i would rather be warm than cold and todays lovely ,lets hope we have a great summer,even if its only sun aug 14th

Guest sibon
46 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i would rather be warm than cold and todays lovely ,lets hope we have a great summer,even if its only sun aug 14th

I agree totally. If we hadn’t had a parade of weather people declaring a heatwave, everyone would be saying how nice it was today.

Perfect summer weather.

Without the scorching hot day we've had today, we wouldn't be heading on out to the outskirts, to sit out on a pleasant evening having a drink in a beer garden with great views.  All this & my vitamin D is topped up to the max.