Do Sheffield And Chesterfield Have The Same Accent?

I read somewhere that Sheffield and Chesterfield people have the same accent. Would you agree? I personally think the Chesterfield accent is different. 

Nope.  Even parts of Sheffield has different accents to other parts of the city.

Someone out of the area who doesn't have an ear for accents might find them the same.

Edited by alchresearch

2 hours ago, sparko said:

I read somewhere that Sheffield and Chesterfield people have the same accent. Would you agree? I personally think the Chesterfield accent is different. 

Being born in Sheffield, I can tell straight away if they're from the other end of the Dronfield bypass.  Alright mi'duck. 

5 hours ago, sparko said:

Not a chance serry. 

Definitely different. The Chesterfield accent is closer to a Nottinghamshire accent. It's not surprsing as Chesterfield is in the Midlands and Sheffield is in the North. 

• Like 1

Wha' abah't Tahaaarn? 

Edited by Baron99

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Nope.  Even parts of Sheffield has different accents to other parts of the city.

Someone out of the area who doesn't have an ear for accents might find them the same.

Totally agree - also chesterfield significantly different and easily identifiable.

Edited by makapaka

The word "County"

A Sheff'lder would say Counteh

A Chesterfielder would say Caarntee.

Vive La difference.

I was born and lived in Sheffield until I was five, then we moved just over the border into Derbyshire where I went to school, returned to Sheffield where I live within a short walk of the border. Now I swear that I don’t have any trace of a Derbyshire accent and can identify a Chesterfield accent instantly.

The Barnsley accent is different to the Sheffield one and is more Yorkshire sounding.

As a teenager in the ‘80s I worked in Chesterfield for a while, at the same place as my Dad. My Dads nickname was Dee Dah, because they said us Sheffielders spoke ‘funny’.

My Dad has never spoken with what could be called a stereo typical or ‘old fashioned’ Yorkshire accent, but there you go!

My nickname was Doo Dah lol