Thread Necros - Time To Prune The Db?

On 09/06/2022 at 16:43, Resident said:

@SFBeca

I've noticed of late that some members are reviving threads that are over a decade old, in some instances not even to add/ask anything relevant to the original discussion. 

Would it not be an idea to prune the database, perhaps anything older than 7 years. Information contained in threads older isn't likely to be accurate and removing these older threads will shrink the database size and increase forum performance. I mean it's not slow but it could be better. 

The rules are to continue older threads rather than start new ones. If you don't like that, I guess the forum is not for you.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The rules are to continue older threads rather than start new ones. If you don't like that, I guess the forum is not for you.

Depends (a)how old the topic is (b) its relevance  and (c) why it was 'continued' - often by trolls or scammers trying to get a way into the forum.

Edited by RollingJ

Just now, RollingJ said:

Depends (a)how old the topic is (b) its relevance  and (c) why it was 'continued' - often by trolls or scammers trying to get a way into the forum.

Any spam can be reported using the Report button. Trolling is defined as a personal and direct attempt to antagonise someone. So, unless they are directly messaging a person, they are not a troll, despite what you choose to believe their motive for posting is.

1 minute ago, LovePotion said:

Any spam can be reported using the Report button. Trolling is defined as a personal and direct attempt to antagonise someone. So, unless they are directly messaging a person, they are not a troll, despite what you choose to believe their motive for posting is.

I am aware of the 'Report' button - use it frequently. Trolling is defined as personal attack, yes, but can also refer to wider antagonistic behaviour.

FYI, I've been on forums for as long as they have existed, and have been an administrator and moderator on a number in the past - not a role I perform any more as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and I can't be bothered with the aggravation.

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I am aware of the 'Report' button - use it frequently. Trolling is defined as personal attack, yes, but can also refer to wider antagonistic behaviour.

FYI, I've been on forums for as long as they have existed, and have been an administrator and moderator on a number in the past - not a role I perform any more as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and I can't be bothered with the aggravation.

Ths best thing about this forum as there isn't excessive moderation. No topic police, no crazy power trippers deleting content to give themselves a thrill. Users are free to say what they like and there is no impedement on the discussions. It makes for a much better atmosphere. FYI I have been on this forum for over a year and also been on Tattle Life for two years on and off.

Just now, LovePotion said:

Ths best thing about this forum as there isn't excessive moderation. No topic police, no crazy power trippers deleting content to give themselves a thrill. Users are free to say what they like and there is no impedement on the discussions. It makes for a much better atmosphere. FYI I have been on this forum for over a year and also been on Tattle Life for two years on and off.

True - there is a lack of moderation on this forum, which enables certain members free rein to behave in sometimes an offensive manner - which I (and others) report.

I believe - always have - in allowing others to say what they like - within reason - but some contributors have a disturbing habit of shouting down any opinion which doesn't agree with theirs - a form of aggressive trolling.

I've been on this, and a number  of other forums for 20+ years, so you are only a youngster, relatively speaking.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

True - there is a lack of moderation on this forum, which enables certain members free rein to behave in sometimes an offensive manner - which I (and others) report.

I believe - always have - in allowing others to say what they like - within reason - but some contributors have a disturbing habit of shouting down any opinion which doesn't agree with theirs - a form of aggressive trolling.

I've been on this, and a number  of other forums for 20+ years, so you are only a youngster, relatively speaking.

I think you can strongly disagree with someone without shutting them down from voicing their opinion. It is hard to read the tone on here as it is text, not spoken words. It's best to avoid name calling, swearing and direct insults when disagreeing with someone. That way the other person will feel free to voice their opinion.

Over moderation and petty moderation also shuts down opinions, as does calling anyone with a differing opinion a troll. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I think you can strongly disagree with someone without shutting them down from voicing their opinion. It is hard to read the tone on here as it is text, not spoken words. It's best to avoid name calling, swearing and direct insults when disagreeing with someone. That way the other person will feel free to voice their opinion.

Over moderation and petty moderation also shuts down opinions, as does calling anyone with a differing opinion a troll. 

I agree with most of your reply, but believe me, after the length of time I've been using forums, and being admin/mod on a number, I can spot the bad apples, and I have no inhibitions on calling them out - and reporting them, if it really becomes necessary.

By the way, with experience and practice, you can 'read the tone'.

Edited by RollingJ