Thread Necros - Time To Prune The Db?

48 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

True - but the subject matter then would (should) be more relevant?

Take my example in #7.

Old post, lots of good work already done.

With modern technology, local knowledge (blowing my own trumpet)

I managed to fill the gaps and completed every location directly related to where the TV series,

'I didn't know you cared' was filmed in and around Sheffield ✔️

Relevance to today? good question.

My hope was by revitalising the old post it would encourage people unaware of the series, and how Sheffield has changed over the years to check them out.

Having to open a 'new thread' elsewhere to 'add' subject matter on an established topic wouldn't make sense and would only confuse things when searching for something.

Keep safe 8) .

• Like 2

I do take your point, Rocker, but 99.999999% recurring of 'revisited' old threads are usually trolls/plants trying it on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

The forum is getting slow in certain respects, but it's something I've only noticed in recent weeks.  Loading 'I'm Bored' takes forever and searches can chug for ages.  Clearly something needs turning off and on again.

Can't say I have noticed any slow-down, (beyond random hang ups waiting for some external site) - but browsing through has been snappy as ever...

"i'm bored" loads seemingly instantly for me too...

I get random , but massive slowdowns - sometimes for so long the only remedy is to reload the page and even then it is sometimes like treacle.

33 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Can't say I have noticed any slow-down, (beyond random hang ups waiting for some external site) - but browsing through has been snappy as ever...

"i'm bored" loads seemingly instantly for me too...

How odd.  Just did a test: 'I'm Bored' loaded in just under ten seconds.  Ok, not forever, but not the click-response load of other sections. 

A search within a thread in that section took just over one minute ten seconds to complete (400+ pages) and a search within a thread in 'General Discussions' took just under nineteen seconds to complete (700+ pages).  A few searches of the entire forum took between three and five seconds.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I do take your point, Rocker, but 99.999999% recurring of 'revisited' old threads are usually trolls/plants trying it on.

I do in return understand. (I'm not sure about your percentages and not noticed any slow downs but we can leave that to one side)

The Trolls stand out like sore thumbs, and spoil it for those who genuinely want to add to a subject.

And we'll not mention the amount of 1st time pillocks posters that gravitate to Sf (mostly) at weekends.

Referendum on posts to be removed, objections to be heard  the logistics 'll be fun.

@Rockers rule-who needs referendums on posts to be removed, as you say troll posts stand out like sore thumbs and are not welcome on any forums, and are reasonably quickly deleted.

The first-timers with idiot-level posts, equally, are unwelcome (and trolls) and reported and removed - I know , I've reported enough of 'em.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hecate said:

How odd.  Just did a test: 'I'm Bored' loaded in just under ten seconds.  Ok, not forever, but not the click-response load of other sections. 

A search within a thread in that section took just over one minute ten seconds to complete (400+ pages) and a search within a thread in 'General Discussions' took just under nineteen seconds to complete (700+ pages).  A few searches of the entire forum took between three and five seconds.

Morning Hecate.

The only thing Iv'e noticed is if you try to put too much of a sentence, or too many common words like "I, the, and" the search engine is looking for way to many results, and will have the 'swirly'  thing going swirly for a considerable time.

I think this problem (don't ask me how it could be solved) leads to posters who have not being able to find where they're looking for simply open new posts, duplicating something that is already there.

In example; how many different subjects have 'RIP' posts in them? (I know) would that subject be better served in one area?

We'll not mention 'Football' that subject which ever side of Sheff you live in can be in a myriad of forum locations.

"Filming locations" - almost instantaneous 302 pages ✔️

"I didn't know you cared" (still swirling 🤣)

Keep safe out there 8).

Swirly thing gave up the ghost and errored it self 🤣.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

@Rockers rule-who needs referendums on posts to be removed, as you say troll posts stand out like sore thumbs and are not welcome on any forums, and are reasonably quickly deleted.

The first-timers with idiot-level posts, equally, are unwelcome (and trolls) and reported and removed - I know , I've reported enough of 'em.

:)
It's not gone unnoticed Mr Rolling...

... and I'd just like to thank you for doing such a great job! :thumbsup:

Hiya all, just catching up - I don't think old threads should be removed for sure as there's some interesting stuff! Will talk to the team and have a think about locking old threads.. is it causing much of an issue? I get both sides, as @Rockers rule mentioned in their example it makes sense to add to an old thread in that case!

Will also mention slowness and taking a while to load things.

• Thanks 1

Cheers @SFBeca. I don't think it is causing much of an issue as such, but it is a bit of 'house-keeping' most forums I have used employ.

The slowness can be excruciating - at times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SFBeca said:

Hiya all, just catching up - I don't think old threads should be removed for sure as there's some interesting stuff! Will talk to the team and have a think about locking old threads.. is it causing much of an issue? I get both sides, as @Rockers rule mentioned in their example it makes sense to add to an old thread in that case!

Will also mention slowness and taking a while to load things.

Thank you Beca.

perhaps we should open up even more old post, or at least check them out for relevance.

Keep up the good work 8) .