Stop Pandering To The Woke Minority.

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

When I was growing up in the 90s, we were taught that the term you quoted was more respectful to use than black. How things change!

It'll soon be 'people who don't reflect any colour when they're naked'.

51 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

I agree that a term needs to be chosen and adhered to. From what I have seen, some black people hate being called "a person of colour" or "BAME". It works best to use scientific terms such as white and black. It is the same with sexuality. "Gay" is a derogatory term, yet it is widely used. In my opinion the word homosexual should be used instead. Homosexual for men, lesbian for women and bisexual for people who like both. 

I've never thought of gay as a derogatory term. Or at least it never used to be until idiots like Chris Moyles used the word to describe something that is lame or naff.

Edited by Mister M

Where I live in a mixed, majority black and brown community, skin color. or one's sexual preferences is no more a social issue then the color of the sky, or ones dietary choices.

Seems to be the West, where governments seek to differentiate society based on skin color or ethnic origin.

They feel some need more "help" than others. It's racist, patronising and pandering.

Until all citizens receive exactly the same services from government, regardless, Western society will be racist (the reverse prejududice of low expections)  and devisive.

It's the poor and infirm in a society that needs govermnent help, nothing to do with the color of their skin or, what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms  :)

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Where I live in a mixed, majority black and brown community, skin color. or one's sexual preferences is no more a social issue then the color of the sky, or ones dietary choices.

Where you live, maybe...

...in Dominican society in general.... nope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_Dominican_Republic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Dominican_Republic

More a case of wishful thinking and willful ignorance on your part, as usual. :roll:

15 hours ago, Mister M said:

I've never thought of gay as a derogatory term. Or at least it never used to be until idiots like Chris Moyles used the word to describe something that is lame or naff.

The phrase pre-dates Moyles by decades.

Just now, Magilla said:

Where you live, maybe...

...in Dominican society in general.... nope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_Dominican_Republic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Dominican_Republic

More a case of wishful thinking and willful ignorance on your part, as usual. :roll:

Not at all.  :)

The Haitian "problem" is one of illegal Hatian immigration. Haitians are the hardest working people I ever met, generally speaking.

There's a push back against Haitian illegal immigration, a major issue here which is somehow missing from the article you quote.

LEGAL Haitians occupy a respected position in Dominican society and run many of the tourist facilities in the country.

Every day, hundreds of Haitians cross illegally into DR, and are rounded up and sent back in a revolving door situation.

But Haitians, like others in the States, are flocking from their basket case countries, to your supposed "racist" countries U.S. and DR., every chance they get.

It's a one way street.

Ever wonder why?  :)

Edited by trastrick

15 hours ago, LovePotion said:

That awful GIF with the man shouting "ha, gay!" as an insult doesn't help. 

Agreed

I am also fed up of the word 'woke' being used in this context. There's nothing wrong with being 'woke.' it just means you are aware of something, usually an important discrepancy or an unacknowledged truth of some sort.

IMO finding offence everywhere where none was intended, or protecting the delicate sensitivities of a minimum of a tiny minority is not 'woke' it's just daft.

I suspect a lot of it is about not getting sued in the workplace by some litigious student or employee which suggests the law has gone too far in supporting these claims. But hey, money is involved so forget common sense, lets take it to court. The lawyers must be having a ball....  

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

... I suspect a lot of it is about not getting sued in the workplace by some litigious student or employee which suggests the law has gone too far in supporting these claims. But hey, money is involved so forget common sense, lets take it to court. The lawyers must be having a ball....  

I read an article this morning by ex-Guardian journalist Suzanne Moore about, amongst other issues, the fearfulness of some of her colleagues and contemporaries about expressing certain opinions that are not, shall we say, very popular amongst many Guardian readers.  Another ex-Guardian journalist, Hadley Freeman, has said the same.

Case Sudy.

After visiiting the DR back in 2009, I decided to take up residence there in my retirement.

Met my partner here, who opened up her whole extended local families to me. Spent time with them in their hilltop farms where everybody in the family worked to produce just about everything they consumed. Self sufficient, obligated to the family and community, as you would expect with no cops or firemen to call on. Mornings picking wild beans of every variety, and whole family aroud the table shelling the beans, even 3 year olds. Killing a chicken or two for dinner, and seeing how they prepare it in the back porch. Happy and productive, resourceful people, with a local remedy for most minor ailments.

After a few years I thought I would return such hospitalty by inviting my partner to see Canada, for two weeks.

Enter my negotiations with the Canadia Consulate here. They demanded exit fees, bank accounts, and gurantees of medical and economic support, which was no problem.

What was demeaning to me and my partner, were the extended interviews. They explained to be that "taking a female off the Island", as they referred to it was frowned upon due to the fact shat she may abandon me, and run off into the general population, live off welfare, never to be found. They explained the problem they had with "human traficking", and all that. Wanted to know how long I had known her. Interviewed us in separate rooms.  :)

I said I'd just like to return the national hospitally her country had shown me, but the pearl clutchers weren't convinced.

She was disappointed, but I told her if she wanted to be accepted, easier to accuse me of rape, and get on a raft and float up on the beach.

She would have an army of lawyers and bureaucrats at her didsposal, and all her housing, food and clothing provided!  She would be a star!

Lol

Upshot was I said F you and your country, I don't want to be part of it anymore, and I reminded them of the 2 occasions I had brought (sposored)  lighter skinned people into the country, with no problem.

Edited by trastrick

I was brought up in Pitsmoor in the 60s & 70s and a strong mainly West Indian community grew in the area. When asked about their origin the older ones usually mentioned the island they came from. If I was asked about someone and the person asking the question didn’t know them I would reply he or she was a black kid I play with. I can’t remember calling any of my friends  coloured because it was frowned upon. If they were asked about me they would say I was a white kid they played with nowadays people seem to be afraid to use the words black usually calling them an ethnic minority 

Just now, hobinfoot said:

I was brought up in Pitsmoor in the 60s & 70s and a strong mainly West Indian community grew in the area. When asked about their origin the older ones usually mentioned the island they came from. If I was asked about someone and the person asking the question didn’t know them I would reply he or she was a black kid I play with. I can’t remember calling any of my friends  coloured because it was frowned upon. If they were asked about me they would say I was a white kid they played with nowadays people seem to be afraid to use the words black usually calling them an ethnic minority 

Young children  aren't color blind, they see a difference, but it doesn't affect their interactions.

They have to taught that people with a different skin tone are"different" and must be treated "differently".

By adults!

There's a huge discussion going on right now in U.S. schools, about teaching kids the "correct way" to interact with black kids.

Involves dollops of historical slavery by whites, and no mention of equal slavery and savagery in other countries of color, where, ironcally, the U.N. reports, slavery is still considered a problem today!

Edited by trastrick