Jump to content

Bbc Apology For Len Goodman Calling Coronation Chicken 'Foreign Muck'

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, carosio said:

There are 'indigenous peoples' who eat roasted tarantulas, big fat raw grubs, check this out-

 

https://blog.wego.com/6-countries-edible-insect-cuisine/

 

No one can descibe that as 'foreign muck'!  Some cultures find cheese disgusting/repulsive!

we might soon, with the prospect of food stuffs starting to run out and becoming scarcer, they are looking into alternative protein rich food stuffs

Edited by melthebell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Radio 5 Live, he said his grandmother used to call it 'foreign muck' but he found it delicious so this accusation against him is like Chinese whispers. She was probably born around the time of the first World War and it's what older people stuck in their ways used to say about foreign food back in the 60s and 70s when Chinese takeaways and Indian restaurants started coming into our lives. It's an example of the ridiculous extent to which we have to tiptoe around on eggshells for fear of causing offence as there's always someone waiting to spring out and play the offended card, even when it's just someone reminiscing over how things used to be. The other thing causing outrage is a commentator saying that an injured Ukranian player was going to 'soldier on' during last night's match so I expect he'll soon be looking for a new job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, despritdan said:

According to Radio 5 Live, he said his grandmother used to call it 'foreign muck' but he found it delicious so this accusation against him is like Chinese whispers. She was probably born around the time of the first World War and it's what older people stuck in their ways used to say about foreign food back in the 60s and 70s when Chinese takeaways and Indian restaurants started coming into our lives. It's an example of the ridiculous extent to which we have to tiptoe around on eggshells for fear of causing offence as there's always someone waiting to spring out and play the offended card, even when it's just someone reminiscing over how things used to be. The other thing causing outrage is a commentator saying that an injured Ukranian player was going to 'soldier on' during last night's match so I expect he'll soon be looking for a new job.

I havent seen any outrage anywhere. You are on about Martin Tyler, who works for Sky Sports, a company where presenters (in their earpieces) are told to aplogise for mild swearing such as "bloody" even after the watershed.

 

Can you link us to the outrage, as all I have seen so far is comments saying it is pathetic he had to issue an apology (either forced or of his own accord)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nonsense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, despritdan said:

It's an example of the ridiculous extent to which we have to tiptoe around on eggshells for fear of causing offence as there's always someone waiting to spring out and play the offended card, even when it's just someone reminiscing over how things used to be.

Seems that way to me.

 

I only wish everyone could play the 'offended' card, sadly, I don't fall in to one of the protected categories, so everyone and his monkey is free to offend me.

 

Also, I'm thinking with Coronation Chicken's royal connection, the BBC are being overly protective of the royal brand, and not allowing any negative association.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garlic bread! Bread with garlic on!? Not in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, melthebell said:

we might soon, with the prospect of food stuffs starting to run out and becoming scarcer, they are looking into alternative protein rich food stuffs

Wonder what the vegans think of entomophages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I havent seen any outrage anywhere. You are on about Martin Tyler, who works for Sky Sports, a company where presenters (in their earpieces) are told to aplogise for mild swearing such as "bloody" even after the watershed.

 

Can you link us to the outrage, as all I have seen so far is comments saying it is pathetic he had to issue an apology (either forced or of his own accord)

I was being a little sarcastic when I used the word 'outrage' so I'm sorry if I outraged you but it caused enough of a stir to be mentioned on the radio this morning. I'm sure there are plenty of members of the Society of the Permanently outraged who'll be rubbing their hands in glee at something else to be outraged about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Foot and Mouth said:

I thought this may have got lost in the other 'BBC' thread. The BBC issued an apology during yesterday's Jubilee pageant after ex Strictly Come Dancing judge; Len Goodman (aged 78) calls Coronation chicken ;'Foreign Muck'. He was asked by presenter Kirsty Young if he enjoyed cooking. He honestly answered somethinmg along the lines of that he didn't but his wife was a good cook and he doesn't go in for that 'foreign muck' and curry powder. He then went on to say that he had tasted Coronation chicken for the first time on Saturday and it tasted good. Is 'foreign muck' offensive?

 

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1620984/Len-goodman-curry-powder-foreign-muck-jubilee-pageant-evg

I saw the interview, Len actually said his nan used to use the phrase, not that he does.

Edited by Magilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I was being a little sarcastic when I used the word 'outrage' so I'm sorry if I outraged you but it caused enough of a stir to be mentioned on the radio this morning.

Yes, more than likely commenting how ridiculous it was. If he hadnt apologised (no doubt made to by a producer in his ear) not a single complaint would have been made. 

 

Nada. Zilch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to apologise to everyone for my grandad calling the Germans    "Jerries"   . Soz 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18790339/martin-tyler-apology-ukraine-heorhiy-bushchan-soldier-on-wales/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.