Bbc Apology For Len Goodman Calling Coronation Chicken 'Foreign Muck'

1 hour ago, carosio said:

There are 'indigenous peoples' who eat roasted tarantulas, big fat raw grubs, check this out-

https://blog.wego.com/6-countries-edible-insect-cuisine/

No one can descibe that as 'foreign muck'!  Some cultures find cheese disgusting/repulsive!

we might soon, with the prospect of food stuffs starting to run out and becoming scarcer, they are looking into alternative protein rich food stuffs

Edited by melthebell

According to Radio 5 Live, he said his grandmother used to call it 'foreign muck' but he found it delicious so this accusation against him is like Chinese whispers. She was probably born around the time of the first World War and it's what older people stuck in their ways used to say about foreign food back in the 60s and 70s when Chinese takeaways and Indian restaurants started coming into our lives. It's an example of the ridiculous extent to which we have to tiptoe around on eggshells for fear of causing offence as there's always someone waiting to spring out and play the offended card, even when it's just someone reminiscing over how things used to be. The other thing causing outrage is a commentator saying that an injured Ukranian player was going to 'soldier on' during last night's match so I expect he'll soon be looking for a new job.

11 minutes ago, despritdan said:

According to Radio 5 Live, he said his grandmother used to call it 'foreign muck' but he found it delicious so this accusation against him is like Chinese whispers. She was probably born around the time of the first World War and it's what older people stuck in their ways used to say about foreign food back in the 60s and 70s when Chinese takeaways and Indian restaurants started coming into our lives. It's an example of the ridiculous extent to which we have to tiptoe around on eggshells for fear of causing offence as there's always someone waiting to spring out and play the offended card, even when it's just someone reminiscing over how things used to be. The other thing causing outrage is a commentator saying that an injured Ukranian player was going to 'soldier on' during last night's match so I expect he'll soon be looking for a new job.

I havent seen any outrage anywhere. You are on about Martin Tyler, who works for Sky Sports, a company where presenters (in their earpieces) are told to aplogise for mild swearing such as "bloody" even after the watershed.

Can you link us to the outrage, as all I have seen so far is comments saying it is pathetic he had to issue an apology (either forced or of his own accord)

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

It's an example of the ridiculous extent to which we have to tiptoe around on eggshells for fear of causing offence as there's always someone waiting to spring out and play the offended card, even when it's just someone reminiscing over how things used to be.

Seems that way to me.

I only wish everyone could play the 'offended' card, sadly, I don't fall in to one of the protected categories, so everyone and his monkey is free to offend me.

Also, I'm thinking with Coronation Chicken's royal connection, the BBC are being overly protective of the royal brand, and not allowing any negative association.

Garlic bread! Bread with garlic on!? Not in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

we might soon, with the prospect of food stuffs starting to run out and becoming scarcer, they are looking into alternative protein rich food stuffs

Wonder what the vegans think of entomophages?

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I havent seen any outrage anywhere. You are on about Martin Tyler, who works for Sky Sports, a company where presenters (in their earpieces) are told to aplogise for mild swearing such as "bloody" even after the watershed.

Can you link us to the outrage, as all I have seen so far is comments saying it is pathetic he had to issue an apology (either forced or of his own accord)

I was being a little sarcastic when I used the word 'outrage' so I'm sorry if I outraged you but it caused enough of a stir to be mentioned on the radio this morning. I'm sure there are plenty of members of the Society of the Permanently outraged who'll be rubbing their hands in glee at something else to be outraged about.

5 hours ago, Foot and Mouth said:

I thought this may have got lost in the other 'BBC' thread. The BBC issued an apology during yesterday's Jubilee pageant after ex Strictly Come Dancing judge; Len Goodman (aged 78) calls Coronation chicken ;'Foreign Muck'. He was asked by presenter Kirsty Young if he enjoyed cooking. He honestly answered somethinmg along the lines of that he didn't but his wife was a good cook and he doesn't go in for that 'foreign muck' and curry powder. He then went on to say that he had tasted Coronation chicken for the first time on Saturday and it tasted good. Is 'foreign muck' offensive?

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1620984/Len-goodman-curry-powder-foreign-muck-jubilee-pageant-evg

I saw the interview, Len actually said his nan used to use the phrase, not that he does.

Edited by Magilla

40 minutes ago, despritdan said:

I was being a little sarcastic when I used the word 'outrage' so I'm sorry if I outraged you but it caused enough of a stir to be mentioned on the radio this morning.

Yes, more than likely commenting how ridiculous it was. If he hadnt apologised (no doubt made to by a producer in his ear) not a single complaint would have been made. 

Nada. Zilch.

I would like to apologise to everyone for my grandad calling the Germans    "Jerries"   . Soz 

• Like 1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18790339/martin-tyler-apology-ukraine-heorhiy-bushchan-soldier-on-wales/

1 minute ago, despritdan said:

Utter garbage article. As said, not a single complaint would have been made.

As for Tyler, he has been slagged off all season on Twitter, he is past it, this just gave people an ideal excuse to pretend to be outraged.