Bbc Apology For Len Goodman Calling Coronation Chicken 'Foreign Muck'

I thought this may have got lost in the other 'BBC' thread. The BBC issued an apology during yesterday's Jubilee pageant after ex Strictly Come Dancing judge; Len Goodman (aged 78) calls Coronation chicken ;'Foreign Muck'. He was asked by presenter Kirsty Young if he enjoyed cooking. He honestly answered somethinmg along the lines of that he didn't but his wife was a good cook and he doesn't go in for that 'foreign muck' and curry powder. He then went on to say that he had tasted Coronation chicken for the first time on Saturday and it tasted good. Is 'foreign muck' offensive?

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1620984/Len-goodman-curry-powder-foreign-muck-jubilee-pageant-evg

Edited by Foot and Mouth
bad grammar in title

I think it reveals a sneering and perhaps quite an old fashioned attitude to the cuisine of other countries.

Perhaps Len Goodman should stick to, well whatever it is that he is expert in, and leave the culinary critiques to people who have more knowledge in these matters.

Good old Len, he's harmless really, though I hope he doesn't think that the Salsa, Tango, Samba and the Cha Cha Cha, etc, originated in this country.

22 minutes ago, Foot and Mouth said:

I thought this may have got lost in the other 'BBC' thread. The BBC issued an apology during yesterday's Jubilee pageant after ex Strictly Come Dancing judge; Len Goodman (aged 78) calls Coronation chicken ;'Foreign Muck'. He was asked by presenter Kirsty Young if he enjoyed cooking. He honestly answered somethinmg along the lines of that he didn't but his wife was a good cook and he doesn't go in for that 'foreign muck' and curry powder. He then went on to say that he had tasted Coronation chicken for the first time on Saturday and it tasted good. Is 'foreign muck' offensive?

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1620984/Len-goodman-curry-powder-foreign-muck-jubilee-pageant-evg

But he didn’t call coronation chicken foreign muck. He said his grandmother referred to curry powder as such. And if he’s 78, how long ago would that have been? A proper non-story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, the irony is the Coronation Chicken is a slightly weird English concoction, and most south-east Asian people will probably a) agree that's muck and b) correctly tell you it's English muck.

But putting that to one side, I'm not sure how 'offensive' it is, but then I'm not 'foreign' in relation to Len Goodman.

But it does definitely smack of a certain institutionalised arrogance that says 'Britain/the Empire knows best' and 'anything foreign must be awful', which is at least embarrassingly xenophobic, yes.

In my experience, when certain Brits call something 'foreign muck' what they tend to mean is that it has 'flavour'.

39 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think it reveals a sneering and perhaps quite an old fashioned attitude to the cuisine of other countries.

Perhaps Len Goodman should stick to, well whatever it is that he is expert in, and leave the culinary critiques to people who have more knowledge in these matters.

Hmmm... :huh:

Yep!

That certainly seems to work well on here... :hihi:

4 minutes ago, carosio said:

There are 'indigenous peoples' who eat roasted tarantulas, big fat raw grubs, check this out-

https://blog.wego.com/6-countries-edible-insect-cuisine/

No one can descibe that as 'foreign muck'!  Some cultures find cheese disgusting/repulsive!

Indeed. Britain's very own Culture Secretary loves nothing more than eating anuses.

MP eats baked spider & camel's toe to win Bushtucker Trial - ITV News

Tuck in Nadine, yum yum :hihi:

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Indeed. Britain's very own Culture Secretary loves nothing more than eating anuses.

Doesn't look like she's enjoying it to me.

18 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Doesn't look like she's enjoying it to me.

Good.

Guest sibon
48 minutes ago, Mister M said:

She’s been doing that a lot, recently.

1 hour ago, Foot and Mouth said:

I mean, did you even read the article before writing the blurb here and then posting it?