gr59n0a71whk.jpg

Very sad. I'm sure the University will have some grotesque 'diamond-type' building plans in store.

Thought it was being turned into a pub/restaurant? Keeping the building as is?

Edited by bungleboy69

6 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

gr59n0a71whk.jpg

Very sad. I'm sure the University will have some grotesque 'diamond-type' building plans in store.

Hendersons are alive and well near the parkway markets.

• Like 1

How dare a major employer in the city want to redevelop an abandoned building.

Disgusting.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

The University Of Sheffield is getting too big for its boots and making a problem city worse for permanent residents. They have blocked off Gell Street to buses, meaning the 52/52a gets delayed trying to turn down by the hospital. They have built some hideous monstrosities of buildings, such as the "Bioincubator" on Hanover way, that is now rusted and looks an eye sore. Now they want to build on Henderson's (NEVER "Hendo's") site! How much space does one University need? There are those of us that have to live here and are becoming sick of space taken up for "edgy" designed buildings that look awful after five years. I liked the look of the Henderson's building. It was quite a poignant piece of architecture.

My bold. 

I think you'll find it's 'Enderson's'. 

I was under the impression that the factory moved to larger premises years ago to cope with the increasing production.  The building was / is not a listed building as far as I know so the developers can do as they please. 

Edited by Baron99

It’s not being demolished, and the University have actually owned it since 2015.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/efm/teams/projects/hendersons

Overview

Work to preserve the House is underway following the approval of our planning application to rebuild the elevations and replace windows and doors.

Detailed breakdown of the works being carried out

• Signage - the signs will be removed during the construction work.  They will be stored securely and reinstalled once the preservation works are complete.
  • Brickwork - a significant amount of the brickwork needs to be taken down and rebuilt.  As many existing bricks will be re-used as possible. Damaged and defective bricks are to be removed and replaced with reclaimed bricks saved from taking down the rear building at the end of 2021/start of 2022.  The whole building will be repointed.
  • Windows - new timber windows will be installed to match the existing style and size.  The lintels and sills will be retained and made good within the elevations that are being rebuilt.
  • Doors - new timber doors and surrounds will be installed to match the existing style and size.
  • Roof - new slate roof tiles will replace the existing ones.  The old tiles will be sold for charity later in 2022 - with all profits going to support students who are seeking sanctuary in the UK, including those from Ukraine.
  • Gates - new timber gates will be added, replacing the metal shutter, to secure the site
Edited by nikki-red

2 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

It’s not being demolished, and the University have actually owned it since 2015.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/efm/teams/projects/hendersons

So that's this thread put to bed then.  Sheffield Uni own it for the best part of a decade without anyone appearing to give a hoot & have submitted a planning application for change of use. 

No doubt, if it hadn't been for the pandemic, it would be up & running.  Clearly, Henderson's as a business didn't think much of the building otherwise they would have invested some money into it & kept it as some heritage property & neither did SCC or anyone else think much of it, so it was never even considered for listed status. 

It would have ended up an old, derelict building, eventually requiring demolition. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

What exactly do they give back to the community? I'm guessing they let the community use the big library on Hanover Way..oh wait no they don't! Perhaps they run apprenticeships in the cafes and said libraries for local residents to train...oh wait no they don't. Perhaps they could support local parks charities and wildlife trusts...oh wait they don't do that either! So they give back erm nothing!

Yet they block off our streets, build eyesores, some of them they don't build right, meaning they have to be knocked down and re-built, meaning constant traffic in and out of the site. And these are spaces that could be used for the community that live here. The West of Sheffield doesn't have a large shopping centre like the East has, the site on Western Bank would be perfect for that, or a large Tesco. The Bioincubator monstrosity could have been a piazza for residents to enjoy with art work and eateries, perfect in the sun shine. We put up with their students after all. No wonder tuition fees for the University are through the roof, they are playing at 'Grand Designs' with all of these pointless and ghastly buildings. Why do they need so many sites? Why can't they stick woth the Art Tower and the Perak building? Two massive buildings there surely they can cram them all in.

Hmmm... :huh:

To be fair, they've put up a nice little rent free property with wonderful views across the city for a homeless couple to raise their family in... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LovePotion said:

What exactly do they give back to the community? I'm guessing they let the community use the big library on Hanover Way..oh wait no they don't! Perhaps they run apprenticeships in the cafes and said libraries for local residents to train...oh wait no they don't. Perhaps they could support local parks charities and wildlife trusts...oh wait they don't do that either! So they give back erm nothing!

Yet they block off our streets, build eyesores, some of them they don't build right, meaning they have to be knocked down and re-built, meaning constant traffic in and out of the site. And these are spaces that could be used for the community that live here. The West of Sheffield doesn't have a large shopping centre like the East has, the site on Western Bank would be perfect for that, or a large Tesco. The Bioincubator monstrosity could have been a piazza for residents to enjoy with art work and eateries, perfect in the sun shine. We put up with their students after all. No wonder tuition fees for the University are through the roof, they are playing at 'Grand Designs' with all of these pointless and ghastly buildings. Why do they need so many sites? Why can't they stick woth the Art Tower and the Perak building? Two massive buildings there surely they can cram them all in.

Poor trolling effort.

2 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

gr59n0a71whk.jpg

Being refurbished. I've seen hints that it will be an Our Cow Molly ice cream parlour, which sounds great 👍

2 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Yet they block off our streets, 

Streets plural? Name them, with evidence