Sign in to follow this  

Englands Test Summer 2022 A New Era Begins

Guest sibon
On 27/06/2022 at 00:37, Jim Hardie said:

…but no fish and chips at Bretts. After 100 years it’s now a trendy bar/restaurant.

It was still there on Sunday. I didn’t go in, but I went for a wander around my old stomping ground before I went to the ground.  

Unless I’m going mad, that’s always possible.

4 hours ago, sibon said:

It was still there on Sunday. I didn’t go in, but I went for a wander around my old stomping ground before I went to the ground.  

Unless I’m going mad, that’s always possible.

This is the Bretts I knew as it is now.

https://no14northlane.co.uk/

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

This is the Bretts I knew as it is now.

https://no14northlane.co.uk/

Looks nice😀

I had a wander down the path at the side. The back door is still there, that’s as far as I ever got. It looked slightly different, but not dramatically so. It’s  over 30 years since I lived there, so I’m using that as my excuse.

I guess it’s a hike up to Bryan’s next time then. I always preferred him anyway.

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

Looks nice😀

I had a wander down the path at the side. The back door is still there, that’s as far as I ever got. It looked slightly different, but not dramatically so. It’s  over 30 years since I lived there, so I’m using that as my excuse.

I guess it’s a hike up to Bryan’s next time then. I always preferred him anyway.

Yes, I’ve just had a look on StreetView and it seems the takeaway down the right hand side is still there. It’s just the fish restaurant that’s bit the dust.

I lived in Headingley myself for a short period but that was more like 50 years ago.

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes, I’ve just had a look on StreetView and it seems the takeaway down the right hand side is still there. It’s just the fish restaurant that’s bit the dust.

I lived in Headingley myself for a short period but that was more like 50 years ago.

Don’t look at Bryan’s, whatever you do.

And the Skyrack is all posh now. Even the Jukebox has gone.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Don’t look at Bryan’s, whatever you do.

And the Skyrack is all posh now. Even the Jukebox has gone.

I don’t remember Bryan’s and it was exactly 50 years ago I lived there. I know that because I went to the England v Australia test on the Saturday. Just checked the details and it was 29th July 1972. I was on my way to town to get the bus to Sheffield and went on impulse as it was such a lovely day. You could just pay on the gate. We won in three days thanks to Derek Underwood but I got to see Dennis Lillee bowl. 
After the match I saw Basil D’Oliveira and his wife taking an evening stroll. I was probably on my to the Skyrack/Original Oak.

Guest sibon
On 29/06/2022 at 22:38, Jim Hardie said:

I don’t remember Bryan’s and it was exactly 50 years ago I lived there. I know that because I went to the England v Australia test on the Saturday. Just checked the details and it was 29th July 1972. I was on my way to town to get the bus to Sheffield and went on impulse as it was such a lovely day. You could just pay on the gate. We won in three days thanks to Derek Underwood but I got to see Dennis Lillee bowl. 
After the match I saw Basil D’Oliveira and his wife taking an evening stroll. I was probably on my to the Skyrack/Original Oak.

Bryan’s is a bit further up the Otley Road on Weetwood Lane. Near the New Inn and the Three Horseshoes.  Similar kind of thing, fish and chip restaurant with a brilliant takeaway.

Anyway. India. Stokes is certainly not doing things conventionally. Winning the toss and bowling, I bet that Trueman is spinning away down there, somewhere.

It will be interesting to see how Bazball fares against Shami and Bumrah. They are two of the best in the world, in my opinion.

On 01/07/2022 at 10:15, sibon said:

Bryan’s is a bit further up the Otley Road on Weetwood Lane. Near the New Inn and the Three Horseshoes.  Similar kind of thing, fish and chip restaurant with a brilliant takeaway.

Anyway. India. Stokes is certainly not doing things conventionally. Winning the toss and bowling, I bet that Trueman is spinning away down there, somewhere.

It will be interesting to see how Bazball fares against Shami and Bumrah. They are two of the best in the world, in my opinion.

Well not great, lost a lot of play today but  India was always going to be tough, balls still not 30 overs old and were 5 down without three figures scored, Pant and Jadeja steered India to a really good total, Bumrah has backed that up by getting our batsmen out cheaply, lets hope JB and Stokes can grasp the initiative tomorrow.

Thank the lord for Bairstow.

India in total control, pivotal day coming up, 4 ball changes today which is nuts, balls do go back into shape from my experience, 15 overs lost as well, if Pant cuts loose we could be in for some entertainment, need him out really early, still plenty of batting in that line up though, JB apart weve struggled with the bat. I love watching Bumrahs run up, like horse of the year show at a major fence 😄 he walks, canters and in his last 6 steps breaks into a trott! and hits 88 mph?

Very evenly balanced.

2 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Very evenly balanced.

England are 1/6 to win, India have cacked their pants here. Was evenly balanced when England chucked 3 wickets away earlier, but not now.