Why Is There So Much Violence At Doctor's Surgeries?

Apparently  violent incidents at GP surgeries have doubled in less than five years, according to figures from police forces.

The news reported that the number of assaults at surgeries and health centres resulting in injury had almost doubled also. Can you imagine that. It is the type of thing that you hear about occurring  in pubs on a weekend. There must be a lot of aggressive  people around.

I can't recall hearing about this sort of thing at surgeries previously, but it had been happening to ambulance staff a few months ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61648987

Edited by Janus

29 minutes ago, Janus said:

Apparently  violent incidents at GP surgeries have doubled in less than five years, according to figures from police forces.

The news reported that the number of assaults at surgeries and health centres resulting in injury had almost doubled also. Can you imagine that. It is the type of thing that you hear about occurring  in pubs on a weekend. There must be a lot of aggressive  people around.

I can't recall hearing about this sort of thing at surgeries previously, but it had been happening to ambulance staff a few months ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61648987

Perhaps violent people have cottoned on to the idea that a Doctors surgery is the best place to get violent...

Shortage of GP's, Covid restrictions, population  expansion, nearly 2 years of lockdown with people being told to keep away unless in dire need.   All increase demand as we come out of Covid, so fewer appointments, longer waiting lists etc etc.  No chance of a quick fix, government unwilling to put the investment needed even to ease things long term (by increasing opportunities for people to train to enter the profession).  Most people grumble silently, but there will always be a minority who demand attention, and won't be satisfied unless they get wheat they demand.  Sadly, that is a recipe for abuse of medical and support staff.

Pure frustration.

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Shortage of GP's, Covid restrictions, population  expansion, nearly 2 years of lockdown with people being told to keep away unless in dire need.   All increase demand as we come out of Covid, so fewer appointments, longer waiting lists etc etc.  No chance of a quick fix, government unwilling to put the investment needed even to ease things long term (by increasing opportunities for people to train to enter the profession).  Most people grumble silently, but there will always be a minority who demand attention, and won't be satisfied unless they get wheat they demand.  Sadly, that is a recipe for abuse of medical and support staff.

Why would the patients demand Wheat? is it some old wives tale?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Pure frustration.

Likely to be the same at dentists.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Likely to be the same at dentists.

I had an appointment at the dentists for 12-15 pm. 

They didn't treat me till 2-30.

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

I get it - get your coat 😁

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

Wrong thread Padders - Syrups Joke thread needed that - tooth-hurty!

17 minutes ago, Padders said:

Why would the patients demand Wheat? is it some old wives tale?

Sorry - spelling mistake !

49 minutes ago, Janus said:

@Thirsty Relic

There are certainly issues with staffing levels. I think it will get worse before it starts to improve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61598158

I think the change from functioning GP service to badly functioning /no GP service has all happened too suddenly. 

It's not as if this problem wasn't seen way back down the line, and instead of doing the obvious ie. increasing the number of places for trainee doctors and nurses so that they would now be ready to go, the government stalled and put its faith in privatised new technology like phone appointments, which clearly don't work.

Anger, frustration and fear is the result. You can't just cease treatment for people overnight and expect them to just take it on the chin. Once again Boris lied when he said the NHS was safe in his hands - clearly it wasn't... 

• Like 1

I wonder how many of these 'patients' turned up at a surgery to actually be  told, "You're OK, there's nothing wrong with you, you don't have any condition we can sign you off work for..... There's nothing wrong with you're child,  They don't have  IBS or mental health problems all of a sudden or have a bout  of Tourett's Syndrome because they've seen they seen the latest pop star claim to say they got it.  Neither does your tubby child have a weight issue.  They will grow out of it if YOU  STOP FEEDING THEM CRISP, that would help. "

Accepting the above would probably reduce attacks on GP's.  I bet a pound to a penny, if we could find out where the most attacs are, they would be classed as the 'poorer inner city / predominantly council house estate areas.  The areas where GPS are often to be said to be most needed?

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1