Car Insurance Prices Ridiculous

Ok I know everything is going up my renewal for car insurance came direct line been with them a long time over 10 years no claims last years price £290 renewal price £650 its a basic fiat 500 1.2 64 plate no convictions no points never cost insurance a penny how can they justify such an increase went on a comparison site same cover £260 with policy expert

have you haggled with them.

Edited by fools

I did a comparison on my motor insurance, it was slightly lower. It's due in July.

16 minutes ago, fools said:

have you haggled with them.

Just told them no to renewal told them price of new policy they just just not intrested 

5 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

Just told them no to renewal told them price of new policy they just just not intrested 

Don't ask, don't get. I haggle every year, they're always interested. If you let things auto renew, you'll get stung (the new rules are supposed to put an end to that)

This year it went down 20% without haggling.

Edited by fools

17 minutes ago, fools said:

Don't ask, don't get. I haggle every year, they're always interested. If you let things auto renew, you'll get stung (the new rules are supposed to put an end to that)

This year it went down 20% without haggling.

This is also my experience of DL.

Usually a "Ummm it's a lot more than last year... how come?"... operative goes away to check something, they return and it's suddenly what it was last year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest sibon
13 minutes ago, Magilla said:

This is also my experience of DL.

Usually a "Ummm it's a lot more than last year... how come?"... operative goes away to check something, they return and it's suddenly what it was last year.

They only want to insure people and things that are very low risk.

So, for example, they refused to insure a house of mine because it was "too old". They also don't like insuring very young, or very old drivers.

@Hans-solo. Try a comparison site, especially if you are over 70. (No idea if you are, or not)

Unfortunately car theft is on the increase and the fiat 500 is getting stolen a lot 

3 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

Ok I know everything is going up my renewal for car insurance came direct line been with them a long time over 10 years no claims last years price £290 renewal price £650 its a basic fiat 500 1.2 64 plate no convictions no points never cost insurance a penny how can they justify such an increase went on a comparison site same cover £260 with policy expert

It's not like they've ever been  know for their benevolence, so no great surprise they'd try and rip off a long term customer.  Loyalty means nothing to them, so behave in the same way.

ALWAYS use comparison sites, and when you are sorted, tell the company that you don't want auto renewal AND want acknowledgement of such.

Loyalty is expensive - let them earn it!

1 hour ago, FORE said:

ALWAYS use comparison sites, and when you are sorted, tell the company that you don't want auto renewal AND want acknowledgement of such.

Loyalty is expensive - let them earn it!

^^^^^ what they said.

Same goes for banks, credit cards, utilities and mobile contracts.  Shop around, keep an eye on the 'new customer' bonuses or payouts or discounts and don't be afraid of flitting from one to another whenever it suits.

After all, it's not like a piece of clothing or car or house. Does it really matter what plastic is in your wallet, or what stupid named insurance company protects your car or what faceless corporation supplies your broadband.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Go to a Registered Insurance Broker and let them search for the best deal, they know what they’re doing.