The Girl Who Never Ate - SKY

Can anyone supply contact details for the hospital / consultant in Austria where Tia attended (the girl who never ate). I have a daughter with a similar condition and would really like to get in touch with them.

hallo, yes, if you go onto my son's blog. http://www.lucapoerio.blogspot.com you will see a link on the right 'tube weaning programme in Austria'. if you want to chat to me about it you can go into luca's profile and send me an email. I took my son there and he's now eating.

Hi i have only just watched this programme last night. my daughter is also tube fed and this is just normal way of life for her and try as we do every day to tempt her to eat, she still only very rarely will take a nibble of something. its surprising just how many children there are that are tube fed and reading these sites makes you not feel as much alone.

Hi Rozzy, yes i have the details. i can call her if you like to have a chat with her. We went to austria and have been back a month now. My son is now eating and drinking and is tube free.

That's really good news, nixpixnix, you must be elated. Well done to your son, too, from what I've been reading on here, it can't have been easy for him :thumbsup:

Hi immidees mum, luca was in austria last october, he's eating and drinking. he was ng fed since birth until we went (15 months). He totally refused all food, mouth closed, very orally defensive... he now eats big breakfast, snacks, all fruit, all veg and all types of meat!!! he eats EVERYTHING! If you want to contact me please go to luca's blog. http://www.lucapoerio.blogspot.com, go into his profile and email me that way. I have spoken to many mom's about austria, every single one has come back with a feeding child! x

I am watching this programme now on Sky 3 and I am terribly upset as its very close to heart, my little brother who is 5 in May has the same problem as Tia, he doesnt eat. It all started when my mum died when he was just 6 months old. So since he was a baby, he has never eaten. He is fed through a gastronomy tube and it brings protein milk to his stomach. So my question to the person who is going to Austria in 2 weeks, where can I find more info about the clinic in Austria. I have been on the net searching but I have found nothing. How much is the treatment and does the NHS fund it? I am a university student, I have been worried about my little brother for as so long now and now I feel there is actually help out there for him.

James's sis. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Really can't be easy for you. I'm nikki, i took luca (my son) to austria in october 06. if you go to luca's blog http://www.lucapoerio.blogspot.com and go into his profile, you can email me directly. There is also a link on the right to the 'tube weaning programme in Austria', which gives you all the details. re funding costs etc, email me and i'll tell you everything. James is very lucky to have a sister like you. Nikki

Now far be it from me to be controversial, but as I watched this programme from my Sky+ box I came upon the following conclussion.

Its her MUMS fault that she still wont eat

So, why have I come to this conclussion.

Her mum mothers her to death, anyone watching this program will have seen the doctors at the austrian clinic they went to battling to try and stop the mum molly coddling the kid all the time, and also the final nail in the coffin for me- was the mums reluctance to finally pull out the tube thats been feeding Tia for the past seven years.. the doctors believed this would induce Tia to start eating, the mum still wouldnt have it.

So- the mum is at fault.

Through intense mollycoddling and also for the fact that I dont think she has done a proper job in bringing Tia up properly.

For starters- Tia didnt start walking properly until the age of 5.

She still wears nappies also but I guess this could be the result of liquid only food injected into her.

Another bold statement I'd like to make as well- and this is not a slur on single parents at all please understand but I found another reason that might be the case.

Being a single mum with 2 kids to look after- one has a problem, maybe the mum is getting a lot of benefits ie: disability for Tia, so she might not want her to be sorted properly, thats another thing that came to mind watching this program.

All in all - Tia is still not sorted, the tube is still inside her although smaller this time, Tia is still not eating solids albeit licking food- which is not a step forward for me.

What do other people think on this subject please?

I am Tias mother and was gob smacked at your stupidity.

Firstly, Great Ormond Street, Tias special needs school and numerous other professionals have not succeeded in getting Tia to eat, Austria also did not succeed in getting Tia to eat.

Secondly, taking her tube out was not an option in my mind, as after having been starved for 3 weeks Tia was showing no signs of hunger.

Thirdly, and most importantly, if I mollycoddle my daughter then bloody good job. She has been through more operations in her short life than you have brain cells. She has a developmental delay which is why she did not walk until 5 and her nappy situation is also due to her medical condition. She also has a learning disability.

I would give up all my benefits and more to have my child be able to read, write, go to the toilet and most importanly eat!

You really do not have a clue and have no right to make judgements on something you clearly know nothing about.

My daughter might have problems and I might not be perfect, but it beats being down right STUPID AND IGNORANT!!

Hallo Tia's mum. I'm Nikki, Luca's mom. I agree totally with what you're saying here and i felt the same way.

I'm sorry Tia's still not eating. if you want to chat to someone please feel free to contact me via luca's blog. Although Luca was only tube fed for 15 months... I could perhaps offer an ear.

Ignore the useless person who commented. TOTALLY ignorant and mindnumbingly thick. makes my blood boil too if it's any consolation.

Thanks for that. Not really sure what to do now with Tia. Nothing seems to work, and although Austria was fantastic it did not 100% succeed, I would like to take her back but her medical team are not keen due to the fact that she still not regained the weight she lost out there.

My thoughts are leaning towards America, but I don't know where to begin searching.