Inner Tube Question

1 hour ago, dan2802 said:

Probably bought a pair of orthopaedic shoes. 

Orthopaedic sandals.

Then learned that I wasn't allowed to wear my jubilee socks with them.

2 hours ago, cgksheff said:

I am happy to stand corrected and my initial response was ill-advised.

Whilst it was something that I have done in the past (it is not illegal), I have been made aware of the increased risks.

A "tubeless tyre" has a much coarser inner surface and as such presents a greater risk of wear and failure (including blow-out) of an inner tube being used.

"Tubed" tyres are made with smooth inner surfaces to minimise such risks.

@cgksheff

Thank you for this post (respect to you).

That is interesting what you explained about the courseness of the inside a tubeless tyre. I knew nothing about that. 'Every day a school day' 👨‍🎓

10 hours ago, Janus said:

@Dardandec

Hi,

You have mentioned a few  things there that I was not aware of. The insurance thing can be a concern. I prioritise safety.

One tyre keeps losing air. I've been to the tyre place a few times. Had that black sealing paste put around the rim. Another time   the sanding disc on it with angle grinder.

The guy suggested getting another wheel from somewhere. It's an oldish car and I'm thinking I may struggle to find a decent used alluminium wheel. It is for 2006 Corolla D4D , coming up to 16 years old but still very good. Dose not get used much, less that 3 thousand mile annually.

If you have had the bead seat part of the wheel cleaned/sealed it is highly unlikely it is the wheel that's leaking (still possible though). Check the valve seat part of the wheel is not crusty/corroded inside the wheel (the base part of the valve that sits on the inside of the wheel). Valve could be leaking itself. If I was a gambling man, I would put my money on the tyre being porous (Not uncommon). How old is the tyre? If you look on the sidewall there is a manufacture date, it will look like this example (2813) this would be week 28 of 2013. worth a check. 

10 hours ago, Janus said:

@Dardandec

Hi,

You have mentioned a few  things there that I was not aware of. The insurance thing can be a concern. I prioritise safety.

One tyre keeps losing air. I've been to the tyre place a few times. Had that black sealing paste put around the rim. Another time   the sanding disc on it with angle grinder.

The guy suggested getting another wheel from somewhere. It's an oldish car and I'm thinking I may struggle to find a decent used alluminium wheel. It is for 2006 Corolla D4D , coming up to 16 years old but still very good. Dose not get used much, less that 3 thousand mile annually.

Hmmm... :huh:

If it's an alloy, it could be a hairline crack that's not obvious to see.

https://drivewrite.co.uk/need-know-cracked-alloy-wheels/

22 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

I’ve heard the inside of a tyre rubs the tube and it’s prone to blow out.

I would think it leaked as you were riding it pressure could force some air out of the rim or through the valve every time you went over a bump.

Ok Wallace, thanks,That seems to be the only explanation, so probably solved.