Inner Tube Question

I'm trying to find out if I can have an inner tube put in my tyre. Thought I would ask on here as some people know about this sort of thing.  Tyre places are probably closed at the moment.

Edited by Janus

Bike, motorbike, car, wheelbarrow ?

It is a  car Dan. That is good then. I been going to a tyre place and it has not been possible to seal my tyre. I thought it must be illegal now for tubes. I wonder why it has not been suggested. I may finally be able to have it fixed I hope.

Edited by Janus

I'm fairly sure it's illegal have a tube fitted but I may be wrong.

Perfectly legal.

Specifications on profile size (speed rating?) all being adhered to of course.

Your tyre fitter will know all the relevant regulations etc.

Some sizes of tubes used to be hard to come by when the majority of cars went tubeless.

Keep safe, Happy motoring 8) .

Do this with caution, it makes the tyre speed rating null and void. It is also classed as a modification, which you would have to declare to your insurance company. A tubeless tyre is designed to be run tubeless. 

Well  still on subject I suppose, but I had a racing bike back in the day when the roads were safe and the rear tyre kept loosing air.  I took the wheel off and put in a bath of water. No bubbles. I took the inner tube out, put that in the water, no bubbles. Anyone have a clue why the tyre was going flat?

I’ve heard the inside of a tyre rubs the tube and it’s prone to blow out.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

Well  still on subject I suppose, but I had a racing bike back in the day when the roads were safe and the rear tyre kept loosing air.  I took the wheel off and put in a bath of water. No bubbles. I took the inner tube out, put that in the water, no bubbles. Anyone have a clue why the tyre was going flat?

I would think it leaked as you were riding it pressure could force some air out of the rim or through the valve every time you went over a bump.

• Like 1

@Dardandec

Hi,

You have mentioned a few  things there that I was not aware of. The insurance thing can be a concern. I prioritise safety.

One tyre keeps losing air. I've been to the tyre place a few times. Had that black sealing paste put around the rim. Another time   the sanding disc on it with angle grinder.

The guy suggested getting another wheel from somewhere. It's an oldish car and I'm thinking I may struggle to find a decent used alluminium wheel. It is for 2006 Corolla D4D , coming up to 16 years old but still very good. Dose not get used much, less that 3 thousand mile annually.

Could be the wheel is buckled and letting air escape.

A wheel refurbishment place should be able to straighten the wheel, sandblast and paint it.  Have it like new. 

You'd need to get the wheel off and take it down there tho, leaving your car on 3 wheels on the driveway?