The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

10 minutes ago, SVerhamme said:

Hi Harry 19 

Possibly ? I havnt lived there for years . I’ve visited but don’t remember seeing it . The Church always had scouts and girl guides 

I joined the girl guides many moons ago we would use the building opposite or rooms in the church . Alway a big parade with banners on Whit -Sunday from the park and through Hillsbro 

Seem to remember the name Brindley!! Although I went to Wisewood Seconday School at 11 yrs di you mind me asking  your first name ? 
Suzy

Hi,

Philip is my name.

The house that was converted for the scouts may have been at the bottom of Beechwood road and done about 1958.

I think you are probably a year younger than me as I have asked a couple of friends who went to Wisewood if you was in the same class as them and you wasn’t.

I was born 1947.

My neighbour lived on Holme lane and you probably knew her brother Barrie Smith.

Now for the exciting bit I have a Wisewood class photo of the girls which you have signed on the back !  Probably taken in your final year there.

6 hours ago, SVerhamme said:

Just a thought my gran lived on Holme Lane no 91  I think 🤔 all her life

she was called Verhamme my mum and dad lived with her early days if their marriage and their name was Wiles that was my maiden name ! My sister Hazel and I would always be around visiting after we moved to Hawthorne Road .

Barrie Smith rings bells did he know Stuart Lake ? who had several brothers as I remember.

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

if you let me have your email address I will send you some photographs.

40 minutes ago, SVerhamme said:

Hi Harvey

e- mail is [email protected]
thank you 🌸

Photos sent, hope they bring back pleasant memories.

Suzy, will you identify yourself in the group photograph I sent you please.

On 21/06/2022 at 23:17, SVerhamme said:

Really appreciate you getting back to me .

thank you so much 

Last time i saw Susan I came up to Sheffield and popped in to see them with my youngest son , they lived on the Wisewood  she was still with Dave and had both children boy and a girl 

Previous year they had popped in to see us in Cornwall during their trip around in a camper van 

Yes John was always a quiet person , he didn’t say much when I went around just came and went lol He was the middle one , Beryl was the eldest and Susan youngest . I knew them for many years from starting school to leaving for Cornwall. 
If you hear anymore would be grateful for any info 

once again thank you

Hi - I've sent you a Message with some more details.

On 21/06/2022 at 16:54, DebbieC said:

Richards Road in Heeley 🙂

My family moved to Upper Valley Road around 1956 then Alexandra Road until I married in 1970. My grandparents, surname Norton, all lived in/around Heeley/Meersbrook all their lives, my grandfather Albert Norton worked at Dickinsons on Guernsey Road until he died aged 73 n 1973.

I have lovely memories of Upper Valley Road, the 6 weeks holidays always out playing, kids having games, falling out then being friends again straight away. Wonderful memories of Carfield School from 1950's, teachers who were good at their job, honest and fair with a certain amount of punishment dealt out which was normal in those times.

Not looking through rose tinted glasses, it's just that everyone was equal in those days, no bitterness about who had what, we all had hopes and aspirations.

Regards,

Duffems

Anyone who remembers the 50s - even vaguely! may find my book interesting! 'Bottle Green Knickers With Pockets - Growing up in 1950s Sheffield'

Growing up at Sheffield Lane Top, Mum shopping at Firth Park, the , then, elegant Sheffield City Centre, El Mambo and the City Ballroom, buying a shillings worth of broken biscuits, primary school and those school dinners, playing out on the street, day trips to Rivelin and Millhouses, the rag and bone man and chimney sweep!!!! So much more!!!! (And those bottle green gym knickers!)

Its selling very well and I think t will make a great Christmas present for the older generation!!

email me on [email protected] for details!!!

Guest makapaka

Jenkin Avenue, wincobank. 

was a good place to grow up in the 80s.

On 28/05/2022 at 13:10, pattricia said:

Can you remember the very first street where you were brought up?  Mine was Adkins Road, but not sure whether this comes under Shirecliffe, Parson Cross or Southey Green. Maybe someone can put me right ! I can remember no television, only radio, sitting on the roadside kerb in the Summer, kids playing at football and cricket in the middle of Adkins Road ( as no one had a car in those days) and the rag and bone man with his horse and cart giving us pegs or candles when we brought things out for him. Also had an air raid shelter in the garden. Excited to start school at Shirecliffe infants school and later on in the junior school to see a young Tony Kay playing at football with his classmates in the school playground.

What street were you brought up on, and what are your memories of it ?

Hi Pattricia, I was born in Newcastle but brought up in Regent Court, Hillsborough.

We were fortunate in having the river Loxley running by the side of the flats, the air raid shelter was in the basements ( where we got up to a lot of no good ). We frequently used to see army vehicles going past, and would pretend that one lot were British and the next lot Germans. Obviously we pelted the "Germans" with whatever weapons came to hand . I often wonder what those poor guys thought of us why we singled them out for our attacks. Many more memories Happy days.😇😇

4 minutes ago, Pet e Albert said:

Hi Pattricia, I was born in Newcastle but brought up in Regent Court, Hillsborough.

We were fortunate in having the river Loxley running by the side of the flats, the air raid shelter was in the basements ( where we got up to a lot of no good ). We frequently used to see army vehicles going past, and would pretend that one lot were British and the next lot Germans. Obviously we pelted the "Germans" with whatever weapons came to hand . I often wonder what those poor guys thought of us why we singled them out for our attacks. Many more memories Happy days.😇😇

Regent Court flats are still there and I often wonder in what year they were built, as they seem to have more character than modern flats.

7 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Regent Court flats are still there and I often wonder in what year they were built, as they seem to have more character than modern flats.

The flats were well established when we moved there in 1943 . They were quite advanced for their time, having central heating, hot and cold running water, "modern" kitchens and bathrooms with garages for those fortunate to have cars. I think that they must have been built around the mid twenties to thirties, they were as I recall of the art deco style. I remember finding it quite curious that so many of my schoolmates had to wait until Friday or Saturday for a bath as did many of my family. Spoilt or what !!

14 minutes ago, Pet e Albert said:

The flats were well established when we moved there in 1943 . They were quite advanced for their time, having central heating, hot and cold running water, "modern" kitchens and bathrooms with garages for those fortunate to have cars. I think that they must have been built around the mid twenties to thirties, they were as I recall of the art deco style. I remember finding it quite curious that so many of my schoolmates had to wait until Friday or Saturday for a bath as did many of my family. Spoilt or what !!

Yes, Art Deco that was the name I was trying to think of !

• Like 1