The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

Upper Valley Road Meersbrook from mid 50's, spouse also there from birth. It was a typical mainly working class families area with good schools Carfield Infants/Junior/Secondary up the hill, we had good lungs walking up Kent Hill even accounting for the Sheffield smogs!

All the kids played togetether, all ages, the big 'uns looking after the young 'uns and never any real arguments. During the scool holidays we went out to play in the mornings, came home for dinner (not lunch) then back out again until tea time (not dinner), back out again until bed time. We were always scruffy when we came home as we'd been miles, Meersbroook Park and Graves Park being our stomping grounds.

The families we recall: Storey, Lingard, Travis, Ducker, Maynard, Memmott and Horsefield.

Regards,

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS

Never will forget playing with friends on Deerlands Ave. Best of all playing Cowboys and Indians on the back fields where I lived 3 houses up from Black Hill, Holgate Cres. . ( sadly house where I lived along with many others have been demolished ).  Memories of playing in the cornfields in the 50's after the corn had been cut. That was until they made the fields into Parson Cross park.  

20 Dykes Hall Road, Hillsborough, built 1869, demolished 1982. No bathroom, hot water or central heating, outside loo across the yard, coal fire, then gas in the living room, but we were happy there from 1952 until we moved to a modernised house across the road in 1978. Home sweet home!071-Front-of-20-Dykes-Hall-Road-Sheffiel

• Like 2

On 28/05/2022 at 08:10, pattricia said:

Can you remember the very first street where you were brought up?  Mine was Adkins Road, but not sure whether this comes under Shirecliffe, Parson Cross or Southey Green. Maybe someone can put me right ! I can remember no television, only radio, sitting on the roadside kerb in the Summer, kids playing at football and cricket in the middle of Adkins Road ( as no one had a car in those days) and the rag and bone man with his horse and cart giving us pegs or candles when we brought things out for him. Also had an air raid shelter in the garden. Excited to start school at Shirecliffe infants school and later on in the junior school to see a young Tony Kay playing at football with his classmates in the school playground.

What street were you brought up on, and what are your memories of it ?

Adkins Road (behind the Fortyfoot pub) is Parson Cross, I had relatives that lived on Pollard Avenue, two roads away. Nearby Herries Road divides that part of Parson Cross from Shirecliffe.

Do you recall where Tony Kay used to live ? as my ex-sister in law used to live next door to them in the early 1950s.

Edited by St Petre
add

14 hours ago, St Petre said:

Adkins Road (behind the Fortyfoot pub) is Parson Cross, I had relatives that lived on Pollard Avenue, two roads away. Nearby Herries Road divides that part of Parson Cross from Shirecliffe.

Do you recall where Tony Kay used to live ? as my ex-sister in law used to live next door to them in the early 1950s.

Southey Hill.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2022 at 13:41, DUFFEMS said:

Upper Valley Road Meersbrook from mid 50's, spouse also there from birth. It was a typical mainly working class families area with good schools Carfield Infants/Junior/Secondary up the hill, we had good lungs walking up Kent Hill even accounting for the Sheffield smogs!

All the kids played togetether, all ages, the big 'uns looking after the young 'uns and never any real arguments. During the scool holidays we went out to play in the mornings, came home for dinner (not lunch) then back out again until tea time (not dinner), back out again until bed time. We were always scruffy when we came home as we'd been miles, Meersbroook Park and Graves Park being our stomping grounds.

The families we recall: Storey, Lingard, Travis, Ducker, Maynard, Memmott and Horsefield.

Regards,

Duffems

Carter Place in the 40s.  Everybody out on the street, kids, dogs, chatting neigbors, coalman, fishmonger.

This picture was taken after everybody got a TV.

Duckers, the Whittakers, Asqiths, Colemans and Drews.

s14133.jpg

And 'up' Ditchingham Street is the definitive word ...oh wait.. that was Ditchingham Road,

On 04/06/2022 at 13:11, St Petre said:

Having said that, I was looking at some old and new maps (2000s and 1950s) and it seems that Southey Green ran as far westward as to Halifax Road-which I thought was PC--, so and I wondered where the bpundaries of SG were. The north side seemed to blend in with Parson Cross, the east side blended in with Longley (which to me was part of SG) and the bottom  was Herries Road was the boundary between Shirecliffe,

Edited by St Petre
add

aKd6hrJ.jpg

Just now, Enfield said:

aKd6hrJ.jpg

Ouseburn St, Darnall, our house was at the very bottom on the left.

Born on Fowler Street, lived at 56 Groves Street then moved to Woodseats for about 18 months and then Andover Drive from 1963 to 1978.

Yes The first house was in Sharrow St.Stone pavings and cobeled roads.Hot summers melting the tar between the stones.Whhen we were playing marbles.Messy getting  the tar off with Margerrene HaHa.Cold tap over the stone sink and the outside toilet.Great Times.Running and Eventually cycling round the lump (Rented property)Sharrow lane county School, Failed 11Plus.Finished up on the Dalewood Estate,

4 hours ago, DarrellW said:

Yes The first house was in Sharrow St.Stone pavings and cobeled roads.Hot summers melting the tar between the stones.Whhen we were playing marbles.Messy getting  the tar off with Margerrene HaHa.Cold tap over the stone sink and the outside toilet.Great Times.Running and Eventually cycling round the lump (Rented property)Sharrow lane county School, Failed 11Plus.Finished up on the Dalewood Estate,

T'other way Darrell 🤣. Lanark - Bocking  Lane -  Randall St, Highfields.

Happy Daze 8) .