The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

97 Hine House Lane was where I lived from birth in 1944 until marriage in 1968 & loved having Firth Park , the  lake & library nearby. I went to  Owler Lane  Infants & Grimesthorpe Junior school, then Hinde House Secondary. My grandma Morris live at 43 Rothay Rd & I spent a lot of time their & trainspotting at Brightside.   My other grandparents lived at 309 Petre St which is now demolished.

Fairleigh (on the Manor). Loved it there. A semi with garden at front, side and back.  Across was spare land that we called the 'plantation', a spare bit of land with plants fenced off by the council. My mum said she they used to use it as a giant playpen for toddlers until the police turned up. A neighbour had reported youths messing about in the 'plantation'. They turned up to find 3 years olds playing there 😆

I loved living there, lots of friends, trouble is we moved to Queen Mary Road when I was about 6, hated it, no friends. My mum said we moved there cos dad wanted to save a 'tanner' on rent.

Stephen Hill Road, Crosspool. Some great cycle rides round Rivelin and through Lodgemoor and the woods to come out at the swingboats on the A57.

Ladybower, Bamford, Hathersage not far away.  Don't think I'd get far today - the number of cars on the road would put me off for a start.

Harborough Avenue, Manor Estate from 1943 to 1965.

Edited by lazarus

Wath Road in Netheredge

Beer-off on the corner of John Street & Baron Street 1957 to 1959. We moved houses several times but the shop was the most memorable.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't know what this spoiler nonsense is about.

Edited by sovrappeso
  • Haha 1

Oakland road Hillsborough, i remember having races bombing down it on a roller skate with a Beano annual on it for a seat, happy days indeed.

On 30/05/2022 at 11:59, mikeG said:

Stephen Hill Road, Crosspool. Some great cycle rides round Rivelin and through Lodgemoor and the woods to come out at the swingboats on the A57.

Ladybower, Bamford, Hathersage not far away.  Don't think I'd get far today - the number of cars on the road would put me off for a start.

I certainly remember the swingboats  ; was there a café there too I seem to remember ?

penrith road shirecliffe was a fantastic estate between 50s and 70s great community but started going astray in the 80s

Studley Road, Darnall, heres the Silver Jubilee street party, 1977, i was 8, Studley Road was later demolished and became Studley Court, blocked off at the end, i left to Woodhouse in 79 / 80 which is my formative years so i call that home.

Im in the blue on the right hand side with my hand on the table.

DRFEw8K.jpg

Edited by melthebell

Valley road   Born in front bedroom of flat 3. Left when I married in 73

On 01/06/2022 at 09:51, johnpm said:

I certainly remember the swingboats  ; was there a café there too I seem to remember ?

Quite right John. There was.

• Like 1