The Street Where You Were Brought Up.

Can you remember the very first street where you were brought up?  Mine was Adkins Road, but not sure whether this comes under Shirecliffe, Parson Cross or Southey Green. Maybe someone can put me right ! I can remember no television, only radio, sitting on the roadside kerb in the Summer, kids playing at football and cricket in the middle of Adkins Road ( as no one had a car in those days) and the rag and bone man with his horse and cart giving us pegs or candles when we brought things out for him. Also had an air raid shelter in the garden. Excited to start school at Shirecliffe infants school and later on in the junior school to see a young Tony Kay playing at football with his classmates in the school playground.

What street were you brought up on, and what are your memories of it ?

Fish ponds Road, woodthorpe. I was born in the back bedroom. Met my now husband and left that area when I was 22. 

High House Road, not there anymore but it was between Barrack Tavern and the pigeon huts. Used to sit inside the pigeon huts when the pigeons were out.  Remember the hammers at Daniel Doncasters going all the time. Sitting on Barrack Tavern steps with a packet of crackers, pickled onion and a cheese triangle and a bottle of pop. Remember washday and Nan using a big tub and a posher and a hand wringer. Tin bath by the range where we all took it in turns to have a bath once a week. Saving food scraps in a bin outside and once a week the 'pig man' used to collect it to feed the pigs and left us a bag of sweets. Tiny little black and white telly, think we must have been posh as we were first in street to have one.

I was brought up on Cyclops Street Grimesthorpe s4

Hall Road Handsworth behind the Norfolk Hotel

Linley lane. Can remember 'helping' the police to wash their cars at the police house as a toddler.

Southey Hill in the 60s,life was great as a kid.

Grew up on Hawksley Road. Played footie and cricket just inside the park and always being chased off by the park keepers. No longer possible now as there are trees all over the place. Great time were had by all.

53 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Southey Hill in the 60s,life was great as a kid.

Not far away in Parson Cross. I remember the famous Magnet pub. Not there now.

A 'house' in the fields off Hathersage Road past the Dore Moor Inn. Then to the Clarian ramblers club house. Then to Clarkgrove Road near Botanical Gardens, played on the road riding my 3 wheel bike. 

Church Lane, Woodhouse. Dave Berry's dad bringing a piece of coal round at New Year. Trifle and Yorkshire salad. Story records that ran at 15rpm. Pushing the coal delivery down the coal hole. Mowing the lawn 😬

• Like 1

reney avenue in the 50s/60s not many cars in them days,off to graves park,fishing in the boating lake and putting them in the middle pond,and watching out for the park keeper, life was simple in those days,winters where cruel no central heating,ice on the windows ,kids say that must of been bad,then you tell them the inside and they go OMG,the summers seemed long,yes great days