Should 'Assistance' Cats Be Allowed In Food Shops?

I was reading about an autistic  bloke that takes his cat in shops as it helps him stay calm. Some stores are allowing him to do this, but Sainsbury's are not. So the guy is taking Sainsbury's to court.

I understand that he may feel calmer with his cat, but  many people  feel more relaxed around their pets. From hamsters to pet rats.

Where do you draw the line on the type of animals that are allowed in food shops? As an aside, back in the 70s I remember a  family from a deprived area who were not the cleanest of people. The father brought a pig home one day and insisted that it would be fine if kept in the spare front room. His wife said, what about the smell? He said the pig will have to get used to it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61596623

Edited by Janus

6 minutes ago, Janus said:

I was reading about an autistic  bloke that takes his cat in shops as it helps him stay calm. Some stores are allowing him to do this, but Sainsbury's are not. So the guy is taking Sainsbury's to court.

I understand that he may feel calmer with his cat, but  many people  feel more relaxed around their pets. From hamsters to pet rats.

Where do you draw the line on the type of animals that are allowed in food shops? As an aside, back in the 70s I remember a  family from a deprived area who were not the cleanest of people. The father brought a pig home one day and insisted that it would be fine if kept in the spare front room. His wife said, what about the smell? He said the pig will have to get used to it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61596623

I've noticed there is a cafe down London Road that has cats in??? Tabby Teas I think it's called. I think you have to 'book in'  and once in there you get cats scratching at you....Very strange 

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I've noticed there is a cafe down London Road that has cats in??? Tabby Teas I think it's called. I think you have to 'book in'  and once in there you get cats scratching at you....Very strange 

Hmmm... :huh:

So, I'm guessing you just popped in for a saucer of milk? ;)

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to hear the court's view  on this cat situation.

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Oz has lots of 'cat cafes' where you can have a coffee and play or cuddle with a cat. They love being with people and are very docile and calming. It's all a bit zen, but rather nice. 

There are mixed opinions about cats in the home. On these cat programmes you see cats walking about on kitchen work surfaces. When you think about how a cat uses a litter tray and the bacteria that is likely to be on their paws, it is not good hygiene.

Cats aren't emotional crutches.  I'm more concerned about the stress an animal is subjected to while being used as such in crowded public spaces.

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

There are mixed opinions about cats in the home. On these cat programmes you see cats walking about on kitchen work surfaces. When you think about how a cat uses a litter tray and the bacteria that is likely to be on their paws, it is not good hygiene.

Everyone wipes the kitchen counter top down before making a sammich or something, right?  Even if they don't have pets.  If you're concerned about contamination to that extent I'd think twice about door handles and whatnot while you're out and about.  Actually, I'd think twice about going out and about; god knows what hygiene horrors you might run in to.

35 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

So, I'm guessing you just popped in for a saucer of milk? ;)

If they run out of milk, that would be CATASTROPHIC. 😹:gag:

Edited by PRESLEY

Just now, PRESLEY said:

If they run out of milk, that would be CATASROPHIC😹:gag:

You seem to have run out of tea yourself, Mr Presley! :hihi:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Cats aren't emotional crutches.  I'm more concerned about the stress an animal is subjected to while being used as such in crowded public spaces.

Everyone wipes the kitchen counter top down before making a sammich or something, right?  Even if they don't have pets.  If you're concerned about contamination to that extent I'd think twice about door handles and whatnot while you're out and about.  Actually, I'd think twice about going out and about; god knows what hygiene horrors you might run in to.

You sure about that?

6 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

You seem to have run out of tea yourself, Mr Presley! :hihi:

Well spotted Mr Bloke, :hihi: 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Janus said:

You sure about that?

I can't say I've devoted much thought  to it really.  But I'm happy to acknowledge that some sammiches are likely made against a background of fluff and dust, though probably not by those concernend about where their cats' paws have been.