Double Deck Buses And Bridges.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

with the advent of low floor buses there is no longer any need for a sunken gangway

There is more to this incident than meets the eye. 

There is, however the simple fact is that the driver failed to notice: 

A sign showing buses/cycles only for the access to the bus station, his intended destination
A flashing matrix sign showing STOP LOW BRIDGE, WAIT HERE (assuming it was working)
A sign denoting the height of the bridge. 

1 hour ago, Janus said:

I wonder if a bus with extensive  damage like that is simply used for spares. I would not think it would be cheap or  practical to put a new roof on, plus glass and trims etc. The engine,  gearbox and seating can be used, and maybe some other bits.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes it would be an insurance write-off and off to the knackers yard it will go.

It will be written off. As the model of the bus is still in use by First it will be cannibalised for as much as can be taken off whilst still allowing for the shell to roll and brakes working (from an air line on the tow vehicle)

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

As far as I'm aware no buses, whatever height,  use this route. 

IIRC the last bus service to use that link road (possibly the only one) was the M41 Crystal Peaks - Aston, which used a 'Little Nipper' bus, withdrawn around 2005/6 IIRC

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Just looked at news article 

"attempt to pass under the bridge linking Sheffield's Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre to its car park"

As you suggested earlier HHR, sounds like an unauthorised driver in the seat.

The driver was a First employee and on duty with that vehicle. 

2 hours ago, Janus said:

I wonder if a bus with extensive  damage like that is simply used for spares. I would not think it would be cheap or  practical to put a new roof on, plus glass and trims etc. The engine,  gearbox and seating can be used, and maybe some other bits.

Surprised no one has mentioned any of the Bus scrap reclamation yards in Barnsley,

If you see a bus being towed, good chance that's there where its off to.

See the source image

49 minutes ago, sedith said:

I remember when Sheffield Corporation A Fleet used to run the AEC Bridgemasters on the 101 and 105.  Prior to that they ran the Bridgemasters with the sunken top deck gangway. Don't know what route though? There was a AEC front entrance on the fleet at the same time.

There used to be some buses with sunken top deck gangway  (and long seats, 4 seats?) on the Totley route,no.45, in the early '60s when I was at Abbeydale Grammar school. I think the AEC Bridgemaster with front entrance was fleet no.85 or 185.

3 hours ago, Meltman said:

Height of the bridge is shown as 3.5 metres, I wonder what height is displayed inside the bus.

I've been told the bridge only shows the height in metres. Was was talking about this earlier at work and most of us could say without looking a decker is 13'11ft but in metres we'd struggle. I can't remember if all deckers display both metres and feet. I do think all low bridges should display it in both metres and feet just incase.

5 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I've been told the bridge only shows the height in metres. Was was talking about this earlier at work and most of us could say without looking a decker is 13'11ft but in metres we'd struggle. I can't remember if all deckers display both metres and feet. I do think all low bridges should display it in both metres and feet just incase.

Surely if bridges display the height in metric then all buses will have to do exactly the same in the cab?

It would be absolutely ludicrious if they didnt and they only had the imperial measurement in the cab.

Edited by HeHasRisen

All the buses I've seen in recent years have the in-cab height notification in imperial and metric.

Right so we can remove that excuse then. The bus being off route has to be the key here. Why was this?

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Right so we can remove that excuse then. The bus being off route has to be the key here. Why was this?

Dunno, but as has been said, this is under investigation, and speculation is pointless.

50 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Surely if bridges display the height in metric then all buses will have to do exactly the same in the cab?

It would be absolutely ludicrious if they didnt and they only had the imperial measurement in the cab.

My understand of the regulations is that bridges under 16' 6" (5.03m) must display the safe height and that vehicles over 3m must have a clearly visible height indicator displayed in the cab.

It is my understanding that both such displays must show heights in Feet & Inches, but they may also show metric heights (ft & in must always be there).

The sign on the bridge at Crystal Peaks is only showing metric.

Edited by cgksheff

Where do they get the drivers from? Billy Smarts circus! 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, prince al said:

Where do they get the drivers from? Billy Smarts circus! 

See, until the facts are known the average punter is going to think exactly this about the driver.

And to be fair its going to have to be a pretty good explanation to make me ultimately think otherwise too.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Seriously though this is of the highest professional incompetence.

• Like 1