Double Deck Buses And Bridges.

Question for bus drivers and ex drivers.

If a bus is travelling under an arch shaped bridge the driver has to aim for the centre as obviously this is the highest point. There is greater risk of  collision with an arch bridge, but how does a collision happen with square shaped bridges? Are modern buses being made a bit taller?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-61587137

Edited by Janus
Typo

10 minutes ago, Janus said:

Question for bus drivers and ex drivers.

If a bus is travelling under an arch shaped bridge the driver has to aim for the centre as obviously this is the highest point. There is greater risk of  collision with an arch bridge, but how does a collision happen with square shaped bridges? Are modern busses being made a bit taller?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-61587137

Well in this case it will be one or many of these reasons...

- The driver wasnt paying attention to the road, which was off-route

- The driver hadnt spotted the height restriction on the bridge

- The driver hasnt spotted the height of the bus as displayed in his cab (maybe drives single deckers normally?)

- The driver had a medical episode and didnt mean to go under the bridge, but nature intervened

- The driver is an actual numpty

I would suggest even in "t'olden days" a double decker bus was taller than 3.5m, or whatever that was in old money, so that cant be used as an excuse here. A modern double decker bus is nearer 4.5m, I have no idea if that is a height that has changed much down the years.

As an aside, the plural of "bus" is "buses".

Edited by HeHasRisen

@JanusDouble-deck buses have been built to the same height (14ft 6inches, IIRC) for many years. There used to be 'low-height' with a sunken gangway upstairs, but I don't think they are in general production any more.

Guest busdriver1
5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@JanusDouble-deck buses have been built to the same height (14ft 6inches, IIRC) for many years. There used to be 'low-height' with a sunken gangway upstairs, but I don't think they are in general production any more.

with the advent of low floor buses there is no longer any need for a sunken gangway

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well in this case it will be one or many of these reasons...

There is more to this incident than meets the eye. 

31 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

with the advent of low floor buses there is no longer any need for a sunken gangway

Edited by Janus

6 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

You cant just say that and leave it hanging.

OK, some other scenarios...

- The driver was forced to go that way by an angry passenger, or else

- The person driving the bus wasnt actually the bus driver, it was taken over by someone in the bus station against the will of the bus driver and he rammed it into the bridge

- The driver was ratarsed.

Am I getting closer?

Edited by HeHasRisen

I wonder if a bus with extensive  damage like that is simply used for spares. I would not think it would be cheap or  practical to put a new roof on, plus glass and trims etc. The engine,  gearbox and seating can be used, and maybe some other bits.

8 minutes ago, Janus said:

I wonder if a bus with extensive  damage like that is simply used for spares. I would not think it would be cheap or  practical to put a new roof on, plus glass and trims etc. The engine,  gearbox and seating can be used, and maybe some other bits.

Well yes it would be an insurance write-off and off to the knackers yard it will go.

31 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Come on busdriver1

You are our pundit on the subject. Share your  thoughts with us based on your experience

• Like 1

I remember an incident where a mobile crane had pulled up at the bottom of Burgoyne Road S6 and the jib (in its parked position) was extended beyond the front of the cab and into the road. A double decker bus travelling towards Hillsborough struck the projecting jib.

As far as I'm aware no buses, whatever height,  use this route. 

Just now, Meltman said:

As far as I'm aware no buses, whatever height,  use this route. 

Correct, it was off route.