Modern Life Is Rubbish

I remember when post was delivered before people left for work and also there was a later delivery.

Just now, Chekhov said:

Very apologetically our postman (we pay for a daily collection) has just turned up to collect our parcels, the ones they did not call for yesterday, and (even more apologetically) revealed he wouldn't be coming back this afternoon (for today's collection)

Why would out postman be "very apologetic"  ? And why did he not come round yesterday and won't be coming back this aft

And what could this have to do with Modern Life Is Rubbish (because of more and more stringent restrictions on our lives to "keep us safe") ?

Well we are, apparently, in the midst of a "National Emergency" due to the hot weather so all postmen had the keys taken off them yesterday afternoon and have been told they won't be going anywhere this aft. Even our Postie admitted it was ridiculous.

I did not think it was anywhere near too hot to work yesterday, and certainly not as a van driving postman.

It's the biggest over reaction ever, oh no, that was Covid, though that was only two years ago I suppose. Another life these days.

Who can possibly disagree that the world is going absolutely bonkers...... Where will it all end ?

A robotic zombie population, that looks to government for all it's daily needs, and even its "truth".

Controlled and educated by this same government bureacracy, and their elite authoritarian fellow travelers who have signed on.

There's a few examples out their already!

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Very apologetically our postman (we pay for a daily collection) has just turned up to collect our parcels, the ones they did not call for yesterday, and (even more apologetically) revealed he wouldn't be coming back this afternoon (for today's collection)

Why would out postman be "very apologetic"  ? And why did he not come round yesterday and won't be coming back this aft

And what could this have to do with Modern Life Is Rubbish (because of more and more stringent restrictions on our lives to "keep us safe") ?

Well we are, apparently, in the midst of a "National Emergency" due to the hot weather so all postmen had the keys taken off them yesterday afternoon and have been told they won't be going anywhere this aft. Even our Postie admitted it was ridiculous.

I did not think it was anywhere near too hot to work yesterday, and certainly not as a van driving postman.

It's the biggest over reaction ever, oh no, that was Covid, though that was only two years ago I suppose. Another life these days.

Who can possibly disagree that the world is going absolutely bonkers...... Where will it all end ?

We should be living through one of the best periods in history, but there is a lot of neurosis around, a lot of it stirred up by the government and the media. Mental health has dropped through the floor. 

Our strength used to come from each other: from family, friends, aquaintances, work colleagues, community, helping each other get by, and caring. But IMO a lot of that seems to have gone now and we are far more insular and more selfish.

In fact we are much more divided now than we've ever been, in both attitudes and wealth, one faction pitted against another, and everyone desperately insecure. 

Just now, Anna B said:

We should be living through one of the best periods in history, but there is a lot of neurosis around, a lot of it stirred up by the government and the media. Mental health has dropped through the floor. 

Our strength used to come from each other: from family, friends, aquaintances, work colleagues, community, helping each other get by, and caring. But IMO a lot of that seems to have gone now and we are far more insular and more selfish.

In fact we are much more divided now than we've ever been, in both attitudes and wealth, one faction pitted against another, and everyone desperately insecure. 

What you are witnessing is a historic breakdown of Western Society, in a great political/societal/cultural divide.

Some believe that the traditional community and family values that have survived 12,000 years of civilization, are no longer valid, and are hell bent to change almost all aspects of life, and how we view each other, and talk to each other, and even what we celebrate.

If they succeed, you may have a egalitarian society in which we all contribute according to our abilities, and receive, according to our needs!

Presided over, of course, by a neccessary elite, those who unquestionably know what's best for everyone.

Right now, there is a battle for the hearts and minds of the World.

And it's a very messy business at the moment!

Even here, on SF.  :)

For context, and an inkling of the future, we have only history as our guide.

(Discalimer: I post from a third world country where traditional values are the glue that holds communities together, not separates them.)

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

What you are witnessing is a historic breakdown of Western Society,...................

For context, and an inkling of the future, we have only history as our guide.

Even parts of our history is being removed or changed!

Just now, Fiat500 said:

Even parts of our history is being removed or changed!

History is a warning.

Eradicate, eviscerate, and revise it, topple statues, and the next generation will never know how we really got from there to here!

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

History is a warning.

Eradicate, eviscerate, and revise it, topple statues, and the next generation will never know how we really got from there to here!

The old saying "history repeats itself". We need to be prepared.

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

History is a warning.

I found it ironic that when the Bristol statue was toppled the protestors did not call for all the buildings etc which had benefited from his money to be destroyed.

34 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I found it ironic that when the Bristol statue was toppled the protestors did not call for all the buildings etc which had benefited from his money to be destroyed.

Those Bristol rioters should have been arrested, charged and made to pay for any damage caused. Utter scum.

• Thanks 1

These are the people that want to remake the World for everybody else?

lol

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

I think I agree. 

What they needed was educating and a bit of balance. Without it, they are as blind as those who presided over the slave colonies. The past can't be changed, but it can be evaluated, the balance restored accordingly, and the future improved.  

Since the dawn of history sad oldies have sat around complaining that things ain't what they used to be. While all around them wiser folk get on with community, family, and the abundance of joy-giving activities that modern life affords.

This thread is like the letters section of the Mail, or Viz without the irony. 

• Like 1