Modern Life Is Rubbish

56 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Does that include a battery in a smoke alarm......

No absolutely not. I have never had any of my gas boilers serviced.

Why would I ?

Tell me, since you appear to be an expert in this, exactly what do you get for a "boiler service" ? 

Why is one necessary ?  And saying "for safety" is not an acceptable answer, I want to know exactly why a boiler service is required. And the approximate risk of it not being done, e.g. 1 in xx million of xxxxxx occurring.

Does your car have an MOT every year ? do you have it serviced ?

Regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at an interval of at least every 5 years. Landlords have to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested.

This means that all landlords now have to do what good landlords already do: make sure the electrical installations in their rented properties are safe.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities/guide-for-landlords-electrical-safety-standards-in-the-private-rented-sector

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You are absolutely spot on, couldn't agree more, 

<utter  ballcocks removed>

Join my campaign Checkers.

More wild animals for Sheffield and Oughtibridge.

We could add  venomous spiders to the list and poison dart frogs. But they would probably have to go in the Winter Gardens .

Crocodiles in the Don by Oughtibridge Cricket ground . That’ll show those nanny pamby, pad wearing, helmeted cricketers.

You know it makes sense.

Edited by sibon

Just now, sibon said:

Crocodiles in the Don by Oughti Cricket ground . That’ll show those nanny pamby pad wearing, helmeted cricketers.

You know it makes sense.

Give 'em tennis balls to play with. Cut the crap. No macho gear needed!

"If only one contusion, hamstring, elbow can be saved".

Think about the load on the NHS! For a kids ball game?

:)

Edited by trastrick

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

No YOU do.

You pay out £xxx every year and you don't even know why.

>> I'm not trying to prove a point for you.<<

But you are ! You are saying I am reckless or with an insufficient concern for "safety", but when I ask you to quantify that, either for gas boiler servicing, or train windows which no longer open, or house electrical checks, or (most obviously) Covid restrictions, you never come up with any stats to back your position. And, bearing in mind people like you are arguing for negative changes to people's lives and freedoms (over what they used to be) it is incumbent upon you and other people arguing for that to come up with the cast iron proof that they are necessary. Just saying "because it's safer" is meaningless because "safety" is a relative word.

Typically on a safety system, we service and test the system at an interval defined by the manufacturer (boiler manufacturer) to maintain the reliability of those safety functions. Happens all the time on a larger scale on petrochem/gas production/pharma manufacturing sites around the world

So the boiler designer has specified an interval which brings the reliability of the safety components back up to what the relibility was when manufactured.

22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

No YOU do.

>> I'm not trying to prove a point for you.<<

But you are ! You are saying I am reckless or with an insufficient concern for "safety", but when I ask you to quantify that, either for gas boiler servicing, or train windows which no longer open, or house electrical checks, or (most obviously) Covid restrictions, you never come up with any stats to back your position. And, bearing in mind people like you are arguing for negative changes to people's lives and freedoms (over what they used to be) it is incumbent upon you and other people arguing for that to come up with the cast iron proof that they are necessary. Just saying "because it's safer" is meaningless because "safety" is a relative word.

Typically on a safety system, we service and test the system at an interval defined by the manufacturer (boiler manufacturer) to maintain the reliability of those safety functions. Happens all the time on a larger scale on petrochem/gas production/pharma manufacturing sites around the world

So the boiler designer has specified an interval which brings the reliability of the safety components back up to what the relibility was when manufactured.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

A friend of mine rents out her Mum's house (to help pay her care home fees) she has just been sent this communication by the letting agents :

The Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022
You may be aware that following a consultation, the Government announced late last year that it planned to extend the rules for smoke and carbon monoxide alarms within all rented property in England.  They have now done so by amending the Smoke &
 Carbon Monoxide Alarms (England) Regulations.

Now, I am sure the usual suspects on here will say "great, people will now be safer" (not sure how much safer, marginally so is probably the case).

So, I would ask these questions :

1 - We have yet more regulations, how many more would be reasonable ? Is there no end to all this ?

2 - A Carbon Monoxide alarm is a relatively inexpensive piece of kit (a smoke alarm even cheaper) and they're removable so any tenant can take it with them if and when they move out. Why is there no onus on the tenants to protect themselves, like anyone is their own house ?

But the overwhelming feeling I get is how Effin' complicated life is becoming, and how much worse is it going to get ? Whatever happened to personal responsibility ? Do the government, and the usual suspects on here, really think people are so incapable of looking after themselves ? Is that attitude not a bit insulting ?

Your indignation is a little late, as private landlords have been obliged to fit smoke and CO alarms since 2015. These revised regulations merely make some changes to what was already required.

10 minutes ago, sibon said:

Join my campaign Checkers.

More wild animals for Sheffield and Oughtibridge.

We could add  venomous spiders to the list and poison dart frogs. But they would probably have to go in the Winter Gardens .

Crocodiles in the Don by Oughtibridge Cricket ground . That’ll show those nanny pamby, pad wearing, helmeted cricketers.

You know it makes sense.

Hmmm... :huh:

If it's any help Mr Sibon, I know someone who may be able to do you a good deal on a cockatoo...

... only one previous owner and answers to the name of Flapper.

It's normally quite placid but has been known to give a nasty peck to anyone if they rub it up the wrong way! :hihi:

• Haha 1

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

If it's any help Mr Sibon, I know someone who may be able to do you a good deal on a cockatoo...

... only one previous owner and answers to the name of Flapper.

It's normally quite placid but has been known to give a nasty peck to anyone if they rub it up the wrong way! :hihi:

You do talk some bull about cockatoos, Mr B.

A cockatoo isn’t dangerous.  Many people keep them in their homes for their own entertainment.

50 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just saying "because it's safer" is meaningless because "safety" is a relative word.

The impact analysis produced as part of the consultation process lays out the perceived financial costs and benefits of the changes to the smoke/CO regulations. You can read it here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/domestic-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms/domestic-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms-proposals-to-extend-regulations#annex-b-analysis-of-impact

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

No YOU do.

I do know why. 

I pay for a service every 12 months because I've spent over a grand on a new boiler, so I want to make sure it is working when I need it to. That and to keep it in warranty so that if/when something does go wrong, I can get help from the manufacturer and my reliable plumber. 

Oh yeah and of course I don't want it to leak, explode causing further damage to my house or my life. 

Please take notice that despite me not going and getting stats to try and prove my position is a reasonable one all I need to highlight is that no one else on this thread agrees with you.  That should say all it needs to. 

If you do feel as though we are in such a nanny state though feel free to stop wearing a seatbelt and go speeding down the M1

Edited by Delayed

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, Delayed said:

If you do feel as though we are in such a nanny state thought feel free to stop wearing a seatbelt and go speeding down the M1

Checkers doesn’t approve of speeding at all. 

Especially not in a German car.

There’s a whole thread about his obsession with that

3 hours ago, sibon said:

You do talk some bull about cockatoos, Mr B.

A cockatoo isn’t dangerous.  Many people keep them in their homes for their own entertainment.

Quite right Mr. Sibon,

I bought the Cockatoo on the advice of Mr. Longprong, who said he fancied a Cockatoo in "Padders Bar"

Eileen, our temptress of a barmaid also likes a Cockatoo, as do many of our customers.

I do wish our mischievous Mr. Bloke would stop casting aspersion's on Flapper. 🦜

• Haha 1