Modern Life Is Rubbish

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

... Modern life can be wonderful 😀

You should start a thread about that :D .

9 hours ago, trastrick said:

I would maybe start with your:

"The  dynamic 'Rule Book' and 'Line Knowledge' and 'Performance' has been an essential part of training since for nearly 200 years and ensured that GB rail network is the safest in the world. It has been railway culture to build on what is learnt from every incident and either remove or mitigate the cause through design, practice, technology etc."

And its Bus Riders regulation handbook equivalent.

I would start with Bangladesh and work from there. :)

All lives matter!

0a1a-63.jpg

long-bus.jpg

If you look closely at the second picture, on the top left of the bus , is a man reading a book titled “ How to avoid silly accidents “  .  Ironic or what ? 

They really should have a red line painted on the station platform.

You know it makes sense.

A friend of mine rents out her Mum's house (to help pay her care home fees) she has just been sent this communication by the letting agents :

The Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022
You may be aware that following a consultation, the Government announced late last year that it planned to extend the rules for smoke and carbon monoxide alarms within all rented property in England.  They have now done so by amending the Smoke &
 Carbon Monoxide Alarms (England) Regulations.

Now, I am sure the usual suspects on here will say "great, people will now be safer" (not sure how much safer, marginally so is probably the case).

So, I would ask these questions :

1 - We have yet more regulations, how many more would be reasonable ? Is there no end to all this ?

2 - A Carbon Monoxide alarm is a relatively inexpensive piece of kit (a smoke alarm even cheaper) and they're removable so any tenant can take it with them if and when they move out. Why is there no onus on the tenants to protect themselves, like anyone is their own house ?

But the overwhelming feeling I get is how Effin' complicated life is becoming, and how much worse is it going to get ? Whatever happened to personal responsibility ? Do the government, and the usual suspects on here, really think people are so incapable of looking after themselves ? Is that attitude not a bit insulting ?

we supply fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms electrics are certificated, gas is checked yearly .

Guess we aren't cheapskates, when its comes to our social responsibilities  towards our tenants.

you really are a cretin 

How on earth can you moan about houses being fitted with carbon monoxide detectors? Seriously.

• Thanks 1

Just now, steve68 said:

we supply fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms electrics are certificated, gas is checked yearly .

Guess we aren't cheapskates, when its comes to our social responsibilities  towards our tenants.

you really are a cretin 

With citizens taking their own responsibility for burglar alams, smoke fire detectors, phone networks, mail, car alarms, fire extinguishers and the rest, we can look forward to lifting the onerous burden on our poor overworked, firemen, police, and the tiers of bureacrats that used to do it for us.

One would hope!

Lol

6 minutes ago, trastrick said:

With citizens taking their own responsibility for burglar alams, smoke fire detectors, phone networks, mail, car alarms, fire extinguishers and the rest, we can look forward to lifting the onerous burden on our poor overworked, firemen, police, and the tiers of bureacrats that used to do it for us.

One would hope!

Lol

1 carbon monoxide alarm £20 lasts 10-12 yrs ....... maybe raise the rent by a 1p a week or just be a decent landlord 

24 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

How on earth can you moan about houses being fitted with carbon monoxide detectors? Seriously.

I am not moaning about houses being fitted with smoke detectors, I am moaning about the fact it is a legal requirement for landlords to fit them and, probably, maintain them. One wonders if that includes having to check the effin' batteries because, apparently, tenants are regarded as being so stupid.....

Quite apart from anything, for a portable (and cheap) item like a smoke alarm, if they want to be consistent, why is it not a legal requirement for all houses to have them ? Why just rented properties ?

4 minutes ago, steve68 said:

1 carbon monoxide alarm £20 lasts 10-12 yrs ....... maybe raise the rent by a 1p a week or just be a decent landlord 

It isn't the cost, it's the hassle, yet another complication in life. That is the whole point of this thread, life is getting too soddin' complicated and restricted, and more and more so every year. 

hat said it can be a cost issue, my friends Mum's house is  60 miles away and managed by an agent, they want to charge £75 to get someone to go and fit one, or "only" £36 if done at the same time as a boiler service. What the hell is a boiler service anyway ?

>>just be a decent landlord<<

You have missed the point entirely. Owner occupiers are expected to sort out their own smoke alarms, why cannot tenants do so ? 

Edited by Chekhov

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

he must squeak when he walks he's that tight, yet wants so much its like a 2yr old at the sweet counter

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I am not moaning about houses being fitted with smoke detectors, I am moaning about the fact it is a legal requirement for landlords to fit them and, probably, maintain them.

And whats the issue with that?

Should a tenant also be responsible for fixing the boiler when that breaks? Redoing the facias and soffits? Fixing the washing machine when its been provided to start with?

Top tip: don't be a landlord.

i'd rather spend £20 and have peace of mind that a  tenant won't come to any harm from a boiler or appliance we own, I can't even comprehend thinking if something goes wrong we could fix the gas appliance, and replace a dead tenant. 

for the sake of £20 every 10 years