Modern Life Is Rubbish

Agree with your analysis @Hecate, but the coffee thing should be common sense - it is made with hot water, so will be hot. I've had to use those paper cups - horrible things - on the odd occasion, but found the 'wrappers' they put round them usually adequate to be able to carry them. You can injure yourself with almost anything - even a sheet of paper - regulate that! 😃

25 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I too find some of your comments a bit OTT,  @Chekhov, but as this subject was recently discussed on another forum I use, I kind of see where you are coming from. The consensus on that forum was that much of this 'nanny-statism' stems from the compensation culture imported into this country from our  'friends' across the pond by our legal profession. It's always someone else's fault  - and they must pay - personal responsibility is a dim and distant memory to most.

Unfortunately I think there is something in what you say, but surely it's  down to the courts to apply the concept of "reasonable care".

Wherever did that go ?

25 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Because you're the same age as me and so, presumably, like me, your experience of the 70s was all Wagon Wheels the size of dinner plates, and the halcyon days of the 80s were the before times, when responsibility meant turning up to your exams on time. 

And because you're the same age as me you probably didn't notice that grown-up folk were complaining about the same sort of things that you're complaining about now; That's Life even had an entire weekly section devoted to letting people complain about whatever jobsworth had ruined their week with their perceived petty rules and regulations.

People wanted it to be just like it was when they were kids; to be free to fly through their windscreens without having the encumbrance of a seatbelt, and have their kids fall from impossibly high slides onto concrete.  You want to be free to have your head knocked off by leaning out of a train window or out from the edge of a platform.

Everyone's younger days are rose-tinted.  You're just getting old.

No, things have definitely got much worse, take those pics, which could not happen anymore, it's banned :

You-will-not-lean-out-of-the-window-BY-O

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Unfortunately I think there is something in what you say, but surely it's  down to the courts to apply the concept of "reasonable care".

Wherever did that go ?

Out of the door, when the judiciary somehow lost its common sense.

27 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I too find some of your comments a bit OTT,  @Chekhov, but as this subject was recently discussed on another forum I use, I kind of see where you are coming from. The consensus on that forum was that much of this 'nanny-statism' stems from the compensation culture imported into this country from our  'friends' across the pond by our legal profession. It's always someone else's fault  - and they must pay - personal responsibility is a dim and distant memory to most.

Top post, well said!👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

No, definitely not. Anyone who cannot see that rules, edicts bans etc are getting worse and worse is blind. 

Funnily enough I was I was waiting for a train on Platform 14 Manchester Piccadilly today. A container train stopped in the platform and I was looking at its brake rigging, just out of interest, as you do.
Next thing some railway employee was shouting at me to "step back behind the red line".
I must admit that, particularly after the pandemic, I am getting heartily sick of people telling me what to do especially when I can see no good reason for it so I only just managed to stop myself "questioning" this order in a forthright way, but it wound me up big time.
Years ago they painted yellow lines to indicate a safe distance from the edge of a platform where fast trains pass, but there are no fast trains at Manchester Piccadilly anyway ! Now it appears to be an edict, stay behind the yellow line when a train (however slow) is coming.
But Piccadilly has now gone even further and has red lines even further back and passengers must not, apparently, cross them unless boarding a train. Where has this come from ? What is the purpose of it ? 

They love ordering people about don't they "to keep us safe", ****ers.

"...Piccadilly has now gone even further..." No- the 'Red Box' markings on the narrow, busy, congested island plaforms on Piccadilly  are years old.

It is one of several special measures used on these platforms to reduce risk.

It is a very simple method to quickly make high risk individuals aware and move into a safe area.

The tactile and yellow markings along the platform edges were deemed insufficient.

As you have only just noticed the Red Box it, you could also  be unaware of:

the line speed of the through trains

the approach speed of stopping trains going to 'the far end'.

the approach of a second train into the same platform.

It is quite a common site to see passengers running along the platform edge in direct conflict with passenger running the other way, add luggage, children, visitor, standees and of course those who think they know best, and you have potential for accidents. Stay within the red box and you are safer

35 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"...Piccadilly has now gone even further..." No- the 'Red Box' markings on the narrow, busy, congested island plaforms on Piccadilly  are years old.

It is one of several special measures used on these platforms to reduce risk.

It is a very simple method to quickly make high risk individuals aware and move into a safe area.

The tactile and yellow markings along the platform edges were deemed insufficient.

As you have only just noticed the Red Box it, you could also  be unaware of:

the line speed of the through trains

the approach speed of stopping trains going to 'the far end'.

the approach of a second train into the same platform.

It is quite a common site to see passengers running along the platform edge in direct conflict with passenger running the other way, add luggage, children, visitor, standees and of course those who think they know best, and you have potential for accidents. Stay within the red box and you are safer

I would have thought that any adult would appreciate the common sense of the rules backed by advisory signs or the need of an employee to stress the rules when necessary.

Would any sensible parent let their children wander towards the platform edge,the road edge ,or perhaps a cliff edge.

That is not being over zealous,just a necessity to deter  the feckless idiots.

Similarly why would anyone  stick their head out of a car window whilst travelling at 70 mph down the M 1  or allow their children to do so...

Why would you wish to do so on a train once you pass the age of adolescent bravado.

Edited by RJRB

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I would have thought that any adult would appreciate the common sense of the rules backed by advisory signs or the need of an employee to stress the rules when necessary.

Would any sensible parent let their children wander towards the platform edge,the road edge ,or perhaps a cliff edge.

That is not being over zealous,just a necessity to deter  the feckless idiots.

Similarly why would anyone  stick their head out of a car window whilst travelling at 70 mph down the M 1  or allow their children to do so...

Why would you wish to do so on a train once you pass the age of adolescent bravado.

Worked on the railway and can tell you, you don’t want to be near a moving train 

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Worked on the railway and can tell you, you don’t want to be near a moving train 

I wouldn’t think it does the drivers nerves much good seeing people near the platform edge as they approach even at minimal speed.

9 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I wouldn’t think it does the drivers nerves much good seeing people near the platform edge as they approach even at minimal speed.

Minimal speed causes catastrophic injuries/ death 

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

No, definitely not. Anyone who cannot see that rules, edicts bans etc are getting worse and worse is blind. 

Funnily enough I was I was waiting for a train on Platform 14 Manchester Piccadilly today. A container train stopped in the platform and I was looking at its brake rigging, just out of interest, as you do.
Next thing some railway employee was shouting at me to "step back behind the red line".
I must admit that, particularly after the pandemic, I am getting heartily sick of people telling me what to do especially when I can see no good reason for it so I only just managed to stop myself "questioning" this order in a forthright way, but it wound me up big time.
Years ago they painted yellow lines to indicate a safe distance from the edge of a platform where fast trains pass, but there are no fast trains at Manchester Piccadilly anyway ! Now it appears to be an edict, stay behind the yellow line when a train (however slow) is coming.
But Piccadilly has now gone even further and has red lines even further back and passengers must not, apparently, cross them unless boarding a train. Where has this come from ? What is the purpose of it ? 

They love ordering people about don't they "to keep us safe", ****ers.

Yeah yeah blah blah.  Talk the talk, but like everyone else you'd be straight to the solicitors the first time anything happened.

Heard it all before about "stupid" health and safety rules and "overbearing" control and "lack" of common sense and "greedy" compo lawyers..... and yet people keep doing stupid, negligent and clumsy things.

The reality is, "..all this health and safety nonsense..."   was all just as present 30, 50, 60 years ago - people are just not recalling it through their rose tinted nostalgia and childhood memories. 

Through my day job, I am more than aware of claims being pursued by long retired workers trying to blame companies for their  injuries or ailments despite the fact that back in the day they were full of bravado and machismo ignoring the rules, taking shortcuts, refusing to wear safety gear, refusing to follow training provided...  I've seen plenty of insurance files from way back in the 60s and 70s with plenty of people bringing common law claims for slips trips  falls and general clumsiness.  Blimey the subject was even plot points in two of our popular sitcoms from three to four decades ago.

The compensation culture might be more visually prevalent and in our Media these days but don't think it some newfangled concept. 

As RJRB has rightly said above, the whining is just a load of rose tinted nostalgia with some perception that everything was better 'back in the old days' before all these overbearing nanny state issues came into play. That is nonsense.

Every generation will have the same moans as they get to a certain age. Every generation has that period where they look back and start comparing. Every generation will feel that their TV, music and media was so much better when compared to the current one. Every generation will become more and more detached from technological developments and start bemoaning that this newfangled stuff is all too complicated and it was better the way it was....... of course what one perceives to remember in their nostalgia trip is very often far different to what was actually the reality back then.

We have to accept that that life is constantly evolving.

Edited by ECCOnoob

31 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The reality is, "..all this health and safety nonsense..."   was all just as present 30, 50, 60 years ago - people are just not recalling it through their rose tinted nostalgia and childhood memories. 

Every generation will have the same moans as they get to a certain age. Every generation has that period where they look back and start comparing. Every generation will feel that their TV, music and media was so much better when compared to the current one. Every generation will become more and more detached from technological developments and start bemoaning that this newfangled stuff is all too complicated and it was better the way it was....... of course what one perceives to remember in their nostalgia trip is very often far different to what was actually the reality back then.

It clearly wasn't, the evidence is available if you bother to look.

As time progresses laws, taxes, bureaucracy, and meddling grifters mount up.

While your general point that people favour the music and media prevalent in their teenage years is true.  There is no doubt that music, films and the ability to lead a simple life peaked around the 70s/80s. 

The possible advantages of computerisation have been squandered.

Edited by fools

6 minutes ago, fools said:

It clearly wasn't, the evidence is available if you bother to look.

As time progresses laws, taxes, bureaucracy, and meddling grifters mount up.

While your general point that people favour the music and media prevalent in their teenage years is true.  There is no doubt that music, films and the ability to lead a simple life peaked around the 70s/80s. 

The possible advantages of computerisation have been squandered.

Early eighties massive unemployment.  Them were the days