Modern Life Is Rubbish

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

Why do you need to attend your kids school swimming lesson, school sports time, or any day to day event on the school curriculum.

If it’s a swimming gala or sports day parents are generally invited.

If anyone takes their child to swimming lessons then in my experience they go to the viewing gallery, but don’t get involved in the tuition.

Same with cricket, football athletics, drama or whatever.

There is and should be a dividing line and there always was in my school days and in my children’s school days.

Parents can be both an interference and an embarrassment to their kids .

Maybe I was unclear, that's exactly what I was wanting to do.

Guest sibon
55 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That is very useful thanks.

I did not say child protection is BS, or indeed public health measures. You're just making that up.

What I said is all edicts and laws need to be proportionate.

e.g. :

Speed limits = proportionate

Banning opening windows on trains = not proportionate

And Audi drivers do tend to be the most aggressive, everyone knows that, though if you want to discuss that I suggest you do it on the relevant thread.

No. What you actually said was that you don't agree with the experts.

Most of the things that you whine on about are proportionate. You just don't like them.

Just now, sibon said:

Most of the things that you whine on about are proportionate. You just don't like them.

Me me me that's what it's all about with Chekhov

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

You really should get out more. social media is full of the pillocks.

Succinctly and correctly put ,  Rocker :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, sibon said:

This is BS.

Classic examples being prohibiting all opening windows on trains or banning all parents taking pics of their kids at school performances, which, BTW, we have just discovered, is NOT a breach of the data protection regulations or anything else. The latter being the best news I've heard all week.....

But there are countless examples of a disproportionate reaction during the pandemic which I will avoid bringing up on this thread, so have put the point to you here, on the Covid thread.

3 hours ago, Delayed said:

I don't need kids to recognise things being blown out of proportion. 

I don't think it's petty and unacceptable. I understand the rationale behind it in terms of safeguarding, data protection and the rise of social media. 

The world has moved on. 

You must think it is petty and unacceptable because you were making the point that parents could easily video it anyway so why was a moaning ?

BUT, we have since discovered that this ban is, officially, BS anyway

The "world has moved on" from parents being able to photograph their own children during school performances, you seem to imply that is a positive !

What type of world do you actually want......

Guest sibon
15 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is BS.

Classic examples being prohibiting all opening windows on trains or banning all parents taking pics of their kids at school performances, which, BTW, we have just discovered, is NOT a breach of the data protection regulations or anything else. The latter being the best news I've heard all week.....

But there are countless examples of a disproportionate reaction during the pandemic which I will avoid bringing up on this thread, so have put the point to you here, on the Covid thread.

It never was a breach of the data protection act.

The school still gets to set its own rules though. They will do this for good reason. Only a selfish and shortsighted person would break those rules. They are there to protect kids. Remember, adults are supposed to protect kids. 

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You must think it is petty and unacceptable because you were making the point that parents could easily video it anyway so why was a moaning ?

BUT, we have since discovered that this ban is, officially, BS anyway

The "world has moved on" from parents being able to photograph their own children during school performances, you seem to imply that is a positive !

What type of world do you actually want......

Why are you telling me what I must think? I was saying that if you felt so strongly about it you could video it. 

You are putting words in my mouth

I want a world where children aren't photographed by strangers with the risk of them being put up on the internet. Why do you need to photograph the performance anyway. Just sit and enjoy it. 

That's the problem today. No one enjoys the moment. Too concerned trying to get a photo for Facebook

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Maybe I was unclear, that's exactly what I was wanting to do.

Feel free to clarify.

You referred to “your lads class swimming lesson which I interpreted as a school swimming session.

For this I would not expect any parent involvement.

If it was an out of school hours swimming lessons,as far as I was aware parents can accompany their kids.

11 hours ago, Delayed said:

That's the problem today. No one enjoys the moment. Too concerned trying to get a photo for Facebook

I agree with you up to a point, other than the fact we aren't even on Facebook, So all these ludicrous rules to stop us putting photos on the internet are redundant anyway.

I want a world where children aren't photographed by strangers with the risk of them being put up on the internet.

TBH I think the risk from people's pics, adults or children, being on the internet is massively over blown anyway.  What exactly do you think is going to happen ? The only people I would recommend not putting their photos on the internet are serious criminals on the run from the police.....

Why are you telling me what I must think? I was saying that if you felt so strongly about it you could video it. 

You are putting words in my mouth

I am not putting words into your mouthy, this is what you said :

On 25/05/2022 at 21:36, Delayed said:

But you have options other than moaning on a forum about how you don't like things

1. Don't go

2. Video record it. You aren't photographing.

3. Use the camera on your phone and pretend you are texting

4. Photograph anyway. Chances are the school won't be checking cameras and deleting photos. 

Edited by Chekhov

11 hours ago, sibon said:

It never was a breach of the data protection act.

The school still gets to set its own rules though. They will do this for good reason. Only a selfish and shortsighted person would break those rules. They are there to protect kids. Remember, adults are supposed to protect kids. 

I would very much dispute if it's for a good reason, in fact nobody, including yourself, has come up with a good reason yet. You just say "child protection" like that means literally anything is acceptable no matter how disproportionate. It isn't.

This has got nothing to do with reasonable child protection issues. let me quote the Guardian article :

The spread of photo bans is not really a response to child abusers stalking school sports days. Instead, it reflects the contamination of everyday adult-child relations – and the new assumption, as the children's author Philip Pullman put it, that "the default position of one human being to another is predatory rather than kindness". Any adult looking through the viewfinder at a child is viewed as potentially sinister and in need of regulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/23/photos-children-school-ban

Absolutely.

Adults are to protect kids, but that does't mean bringing them up in cotton wool, nor does it mean bringing them up to fear the world. If it were me I'd get rid of those high fences and intercom entry systems round schools, its like more a soddin' prison than a  school and it sends out all the wrong messages to kids. We never had any of that crap when I was at school and no child ever got abducted from my school.

Edited by Chekhov

11 hours ago, RJRB said:

Feel free to clarify.

You referred to “your lads class swimming lesson which I interpreted as a school swimming session.

For this I would not expect any parent involvement.

If it was an out of school hours swimming lessons,as far as I was aware parents can accompany their kids.

In out of school hours swimming lessons parents can only view their kids having a lesson if that's what you mean by "accompany". 

Why is it any different in a school swimming lesson, which, BTW, takes place at the same pool.

No, it's just reactionary over cautious BS, another example of what the Guardian article (quoted above) was referring to.