Hutcliff Wood Cycle Track.

Hello. 
In Hutcliff  woods close to the Abbey Lane entrance is a large and interesting looking bmx/mountain bike track. It’s been there for as long as I can remember. The ramps are covered and it seems looked after. But I’ve never seen anyone using it. I’ve walked the dog through there and cycled through the woods at various times and days but never seen any riders riding it. So my question is - given the environmental impact and the lack of use - should it be flattened and nature be allowed to take over ? 

Please, I’m not a kill joy - but if it’s not been used - should it be taken down and allow nature to enjoy it ? 

I've been past several times when it's been in use, and several times when it's been worked on, it would be a shame if it was flattened. There was a lesser one nearby, off the bottom of Twentywell Lane but that has been flattened recently for some building work.

I run past there a lot and have noticed that what i assume are often volunteers working on it at the weekend.

12 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

Hello. 
In Hutcliff  woods close to the Abbey Lane entrance is a large and interesting looking bmx/mountain bike track. It’s been there for as long as I can remember. The ramps are covered and it seems looked after. But I’ve never seen anyone using it. I’ve walked the dog through there and cycled through the woods at various times and days but never seen any riders riding it. So my question is - given the environmental impact and the lack of use - should it be flattened and nature be allowed to take over ? 

Please, I’m not a kill joy - but if it’s not been used - should it be taken down and allow nature to enjoy it ? 

NO NO NO NO NO  :nono: :nono: What a horrendous suggestion :wow:.

Hutcliffe wood cycle track is as much a part of Sheffield as The Moor and Henderson's Relish.

What environmental impact is it having ? even if no one is using it, has it moved, is it causing flooding  or detrimental to wildlife or foliage?

Even if it was never used again, nature would take it's own course anyway,  flattening it would be sacrilege :mad:

We were using it in the 60's well before BMX bikes were even conceived 🥴.

Happy daze 8) (Happy Graze :blush:)  .

Hardly something that is affecting house prices in the area where it is, is it.

believe it or not, there's a strong and honourable culture within 'dirt jumping'.

• it's generally not acceptable to simply turn up and ride, you'll be expected to introduce yourself, and get along.
  • you'll be expected to chip in, whether that's with digging, or tidying, or inviting the locals to *your* local spot - that you've built.
  • you don't ride when the jumps are wet - they're only mud, you need to wait till they're dry, and hard.

and there may only be a few 'events' during the year... they're deliberately rationed, or metred out, so that the winter-work lasts through the season.

Winter is digging season : the mud is wet, and workable. The jumps in Hutcliffe woods are under trees, and probably still a bit too damp to stand up against significant use.

Edited by ads36

As someone who used to travel from Nether Edge to ride on the " bumps" in the 60's and who now lives locally, I walk past regularly.
I've seen this track gradually develop and extend and watched the young ( mainly) people display amazing skills and bravery on these slopes.
I recently eventually stopped and chatted to a group of lads who were spending their spare time repairing and extending the track.
They seem a dedicated, polite and knowledgeable group of youngsters doing no harm to anyone and indulging in a healthy outdoor sport at their own expense.
Good luck to them, I say. Let's leave them in peace.

12 minutes ago, andingmen said:

As someone who used to travel from Nether Edge to ride on the " bumps" in the 60's and who now lives locally, I walk past regularly.
I've seen this track gradually develop and extend and watched the young ( mainly) people display amazing skills and bravery on these slopes.
I recently eventually stopped and chatted to a group of lads who were spending their spare time repairing and extending the track.
They seem a dedicated, polite and knowledgeable group of youngsters doing no harm to anyone and indulging in a healthy outdoor sport at their own expense.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, andingmen said:

Happy daze chucking the likes of Coventry Eagles, Hercules's, Sun's & old Raleigh's up and down the earth banks, providing you'd got past the slippy wooden bridge on the bottom path first 🥴.

Happy Daze, Happy Daze indeed 8) .

Wow that’s great to hear. Maybe it’s just the times I go past - sounds a great culture around it - thanks for educating me !!!