Is Boris 'Levelling Up?'

The new Elizabeth line has opened in London at a cost of £19 Billion. How lovely for them.

Meanwhile 'up North' we continue to limp along with some of the worst rail links in the country. We've missed out on HS2, and what's happened to the cross rail link between the East and West coast? No wonder business doesn't want to set up in the North.

The infrastructure funding per capita is twice as much in London to anywhere else in the country. Is this fair? We pay our taxes too.

So much for Boris's 'levelling up.' 

Scottish services cut now too, i believe the final service on a Sunday between Inverness and Aberdeen, two reasonably sized cities, is now at something stupid like 5.30pm

It's all excuses for the working class idiots to vote for them, and it worked.

Sadly a lot are still making excuses

it's 40miles between Sheffield and Manchester. The train takes an hour.

(i don't need to patronise anyone by working out the average speed)

Nevermind High-Speed trains, something faster than an old donkey would be a massive upgrade.

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The majority of the project has been funded by London including London taxpayers. They haven't had new tube line for over fifty years.  The cost of HS2 is likely to be near £100 billion.  

HS2 isn't coming to Sheffield, in fact I doubt it will get any further North than Birmingham. 

What an utter waste of money for the majority of the country, and for those in the North it's a kick in the teeth.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

HS2 isn't coming to Sheffield, in fact I doubt it will get any further North than Birmingham. 

What an utter waste of money for the majority of the country, and for those in the North it's a kick in the teeth.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't want HS2 anyway. 

You know who would've levelled up the North? Good old J.C

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

The whole country benefits from projects such as HS2 and the Queen Elizabeth line.  There are plans to connect  HS2 to the east coast mainline which is likely to pass through Nottingham.  This will benefit Sheffield due to the existing  service between Nottingham and Sheffield. 

Please explain how Sheffield benefits from either the Elizabeth line, or  HS2.

Nottingham is not Sheffield.

So still need to change trains in Nottingham to access the East coast line.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

Easily explained better transport helps to grow the whole economy which creates jobs. The Elizabeth line alone is forecast to give the economy a £42 billion boost.

This is the levelling up thread, not the further boosting regional inequality thread. Boosting the regions relative to London/the South East was in this government's manifesto - this does the opposite.

You're correct Nottingham is not Sheffield but the new infrastructure will make it easier for people to get to Sheffield.

How will it? It's not going to benefit people travelling between London and Sheffield over the HS2 terminating at East Midlands Parkway option. People wanting to travel on the ECML for journeys to/from north will be better served changing at Doncaster or Retford than a Newark via Nottingham option.

1 hour ago, altus said:

This is the levelling up thread, not the further boosting regional inequality thread. Boosting the regions relative to London/the South East was in this government's manifesto - this does the opposite.

I know the government promised to level up, but do they have a better life in the South?

Perhaps it is more nuanced than that, making poor people richer where ever they live?

I believe high house prices in the South, make us Northerners richer than Southerners, quality of life after housing costs.

43 minutes ago, West 77 said:

How will travelling further east than Nottingham make a train journey for someone wanting to get to Sheffield quicker?   If someone wants to go to York for example then they will not get off at Nottingham but will get off at Newark instead on the new proposed east coast mainline link.

The ECML is to the east of Sheffield so anyone wanting to use it to travel to/from York will have to travel further east than Nottingham. Anyone wanting to travel between Sheffield and London using HS2 won't be using the ECML at all. I suggest you have a look at a UK rail map.

18 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I know the government promised to level up, but do they have a better life in the South?

Perhaps it is more nuanced than that, making poor people richer where ever they live?

I believe high house prices in the South, make us Northerners richer than Southerners, quality of life after housing costs.

It's way more nuanced than just housing prices. It's easier to travel around (due to higher infrastructure spending and public transport availability and subsidies), more per head funding for cultural things like the arts, etc. When it comes to retire, they get to sell their expensive houses in the SE and outbid the locals for desirable properties in the regions.

Just now, West 77 said:

I've been discussing a new proposed link to the ECML from the HS2 line which hasn't been built yet which is expected to have Nottingham on the route.  

You were discussing making journeys to/from Sheffield easier. How is the proposed East Midlands Parkway - Nottingham - ECML link going to be relevant to someone travelling either between Sheffield and York or Sheffield and London?