Train Drivers Strike : 'Summer Of Discontent'

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

There are some on the DLR network.

Driverless buses and taxi are a very long way off - you will need to effectively ban all private transport and reconfigure the whole road network.

So, why are they not on the ordinary network?

I don't suppose you will have thought that there must be a reason that we still have train drivers.

The biggest saving this country could make would be to get rid of all those in the commons and all those in the lords and yes, I mean, all parties.

Because the DLR was designed and built as an essentially 'automatic' network, with extensive safety systems integrated - the 'ordinary' networks will require a lot of very expensive modification before they ca even think about it.  I know why we still have train drivers and other crew - see my first sentence.

So who is going to govern the country - you?

If they lose an election, they should go home and find a job in a chip shop for the next 4 years. Opposition is an utterly pointless occupation.

As for why hasn't automation happened when the technology has been there a century ... Unions.

2 minutes ago, fools said:

If they lose an election, they should go home and find a job in a chip shop for the next 4 years. Opposition is an utterly pointless occupation.

As for why hasn't automation happened when the technology has been there a century ... Unions.

Part of the answer, yes, but also cost - and massive disruption while it is being developed, tested to destruction and rolled out, you can't just flick a switch.

Like I said, there's been an automated underground train running since 1927... enough time to sort it out.

(1) that was a dedicated line only carrying mail (2) AFAIK, it is now decommissioned.

Edited by RollingJ

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Because the DLR was designed and built as an essentially 'automatic' network, with extensive safety systems integrated - the 'ordinary' networks will require a lot of very expensive modification before they ca even think about it.  I know why we still have train drivers and other crew - see my first sentence.

So who is going to govern the country - you?

Then they have the choice of paying for expensive modifications or giving railway workers a fair pay rise.

They could fire and rehire the westminster lot on conditions of employment. They let other companies do this.

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Part of the answer, yes, but also cost - and massive disruption while it is being developed, tested to destruction and rolled out, you can't just flick a switch.

Well they will have to live with it then.

We all have to put up with things we don't like.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

Then they have the choice of paying for expensive modifications or giving railway workers a fair pay rise.

They could fire and rehire the westminster lot on conditions of employment. They let other companies do this.

Define a 'fair' pay rise? The cost of modification would probably pay for three (2 surplus) drivers per train, 4 extra guards and a few surplus crew.

Don't really want to get into the other argument - I prefer to stick to quantifiable discussion.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

(1) that was a dedicated line only carrying mail (2) AFAIK, it is now decommissioned.

The point, (if not obvious) was, the technology has been there for a century, but vested interests have stood in the way of progress as they always do.

Infrastructure employees should be banned from striking, the fact we are still discussing this after all this time, just shows how inept the machinery of government is.

Another example is smart motorways, how did they ever come to be installed, and why are they still there, it's beyond belief.

15 minutes ago, fools said:

Wrong .  The Tories hate unions and, if they could have automated the railways, they would have if only to do a thatcher on them.

Just now, fools said:

The point, (if not obvious) was, the technology has been there for a century, but vested interests have stood in the way of progress as they always do.

Infrastructure employees should be banned from striking, the fact we are still discussing this after all this time, just shows how inept the machinery of government is.

Another example is smart motorways, how did they ever come to be installed, and why are they still there, it's beyond belief.

Too late in the day for me to want to get into a discussion on points (1) & (2), but (un)smart motorways should never have seen the light of day -IMO.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Wrong .  The Tories hate unions and, if they could have automated the railways, they would have if only to do a thatcher on them.

Take a look at Mars, there's rovers wandering about and everything.

Edited by fools