Monkeypox Madness

OMG, it's monkeypox now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61546480

Anyone at the highest risk of having caught monkeypox should isolate for 21 days, official guidance says.

The advice, from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), applies to anyone who has had direct or household contact with a confirmed case.

Contacts are advised to provide their details for contact tracing, forgo travel, and avoid contact with immuno suppressed people, pregnant women, and children under 12.

AFAIK Monkeypox is not that serious, also according to the BBC :

The infection usually clears up on its own and lasts between 14 and 21 days.
Although there has [only] been a small number of deaths attributed to the virus in west and central Africa since December, particularly in the Democratic Republic of Congo, none have been reported by the World Health Organisation in other countries where cases have been found.

We are in very dangerous territory because after the over reaction of Covid if we do the same for Moneypox a very dangerous precedent is set.....

I don't bother following 'the news' these days - but how many cases in the UK, and is it really as 'bad' as made out?

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

OMG, it's monkeypox now.

Anyone at the highest risk of having caught monkeypox should isolate for 21 days, official guidance says.

The advice, from the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), applies to anyone who has had direct or household contact with a confirmed case.

Contacts are advised to provide their details for contact tracing, forgo travel, and avoid contact with immuno suppressed people, pregnant women, and children under 12.

Although there has [only] been a small number of deaths attributed to the virus in west and central Africa since December, particularly in the Democratic Republic of Congo, none have been reported by the World Health Organisation in other countries where cases have been found.

We are in very dangerous territory because after the over reaction of Covid if we do the same for Moneypox a very dangerous precedent is set.....

What would your advice be to those who has been in direct contact with a confirmed case? Go out and spread the love, or act like a grown up  with a social conscience and avoid contact with those at most risk.

Edited by Bargepole23

@Dromedary - it is a Mail article, I don't think I'll even bother opening it.

wondered when we'd get our very own thread on SF about it, more shocking is how long its taken the local conspiracy theorists to theorise about it.

Edited by melthebell

5 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What would your advice be to those who has been in direct contact with a confirmed case? Go out and spread the love, or act like a grown up  with a social conscience and avoid contact with those at most risk.

Bearing this in mind (also from the BBC website) :

The disease, first found in monkeys, does not tend to spread easily between people but can be transmitted through close physical contact, including sexual intercourse.

Plus the fact it is not dangerous anyway, I would not be self isolating for 5 minutes, never mind 12 days.

This is what I mean by mission creep. Next they'll be wanting everyone with a cold to self isolate or wear a mask, *** off I say to them, go and get a life

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

hmmm i think that stories ******** since its not a respiratory disease, its one you catch from touch, normally open areas of skin

Edited by melthebell

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

hmmm i think that stories ******** since its not a respiratory disease, its one you catch from touch, normally open areas of skin

Note the source, though, @melthebell- a very reputable and accurate one. 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is what I mean by mission creep. Next they'll be wanting everyone with a cold to self isolate or wear a mask, *** off I say to them, go and get a life

Classic conspiracy theorism, exactly how they are created, i think somethings happening, therefore its happening

4 minutes ago, melthebell said:

wondered when we'd get our very own thread on SF about it, more shocking is how long its taken the local conspiracy theorists to theorise about it.

Hmmm... :huh:

Well I hope this thread is going to be more fun...

... than a barrel full of monkeys! :suspect:

16 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

OMG, it's monkeypox now.

Just something else for you to rant about