Taxpayers' Funds Proposed To Be Wasted On Unwanted & Ineffective Parking Scheme

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The council are usually open to discussion on the details of any scheme. 

On previous parking schemes, the standard treatment was a single yellow line to protect driveways, but they did change it to a white line ( which is advisory only and not enforceable) if a resident or business requested it.

The location of parking machines is normally also up for discussion, they normally only need one or two on a street unless it is very long. However, be aware that most people don’t like having such infrastructure outside their houses, so they will probably get the same objection wherever they put the machine and it’s got to go somewhere.

Thank you for a constructive piece of information.

1 minute ago, Allison R said:

More red herrings.  Is your goal to be “right” or is your goal to speak about meaningful substance?

I think you are missing the point. You have come and posted incorrect information on a number of points. You posts are alarmist about which areas might be next and yet you openly admit to a lack of observation on the schemes you are so against and haven’t even noticed that one of the areas you say will be “next” actually already has a scheme.  

It doesn’t help your case and doesn’t do much for your credibility. Getting your facts right is important as on forums there’s usually someone who does know the correct information and will shoot down your argument.

There are arguments for and against schemes like this and I’ve always said to people who live and do business in the proposed locations that they should be very sure that what’s on offer meets their needs and tell the council if it doesn’t.

These schemes will never suit everyone, but it is important to remember that they reflect the thrust of policy at local and national level, which is to discourage car use for as many trips as possible.

In my opinion the only effective way to do that is to make things more difficult or expensive for the motorist and limiting  the availability of free parking close to the city centre is one way of discouraging car commuting. There is plenty of parking in the city centre and the prices compare well with other similar size cities, but many folk just don’t want to pay.

Guest sibon
34 minutes ago, Allison R said:

Do you think if I ask them not to put a pay-and-display meter in front of my house, they will also listen?

I don't know. Have you asked?

My last involvement was years ago, but the council were very receptive to requests to change the scheme.

1 hour ago, Allison R said:

I see your meanness is across the board.

:hihi:

Absolutely!

I don't discriminate and always give credit where it's due. :thumbsup:

EDIT: And I think I've spotted your favourite word... I wonder if anyone else has? :huh:

Here's a clue: 7 letters, begins with a 'd' and ends in 'n' . :hihi:

Edited by Mr Bloke

37 minutes ago, Allison R said:

Do you think if I ask them not to put a pay-and-display meter in front of my house, they will also listen?

And wouldn’t Nether Edge look beautiful with pay-and-display meters and yellow parking lot lines on those leafy streets?

Broomhill and Broomhall are both leafy suburbs and both have parking schemes. Both have conservation areas too. 

The residents and businesses there had been asking for parking schemes for years and the schemes were generally welcomed. When the schemes were installed, the council were as sympathetic to the nature of the places as they could be and some of the street features were replaced ( like with bollards which were more in keeping with the area) or remodelled to improve the look of the place.

Yet again, you’re scare mongering about a potential scheme in Nether Edge when you have no factual evidence to back up your assertion that it might be “next” and even  I’ve provided a link to the parking strategy the council are using, which specifically mentions the areas where they are looking to introduce parking schemes. Nether Edge is not among them, for the simple reason that the area doesn’t experience the severe parking problems that exist elsewhere, so it isn’t a priority.

I have more direct knowledge of council policy on this than most as I used to work for the council and that was one of the areas of work I dealt with.

11 minutes ago, sibon said:

I don't know. Have you asked?

My last involvement was years ago, but the council were very receptive to requests to change the scheme.

Thank you.  This is encouraging.  We will be presenting the petition to the Council next week.  Hopefully, they will be open to compromises like putting a more effective scheme only in the affected streets, ideally without meters (surely this kind of thing can be done electronically in this day and age?) and leave the 90% of us who don’t want it out of it - at least for enough time to figure out whether the knock-on effect from those few streets really will have an impact spread out over so many streets.  

People grumble so much about the Council, but my experience of them has been positive and hopefully the grumbles will prove to be unfounded.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Broomhill and Broomhall are both leafy suburbs and both have parking schemes. Both have conservation areas too. 

The residents and businesses there had been asking for parking schemes for years and the schemes were generally welcomed. When the schemes were installed, the council were as sympathetic to the nature of the places as they could be and some of the street features were replaced ( like with bollards which were more in keeping with the area) or remodelled to improve the look of the place.

Yet again, you’re scare mongering about a potential scheme in Nether Edge when you have no factual evidence to back up your assertion that it might be “next” and even  I’ve provided a link to the parking strategy the council are using, which specifically mentions the areas where they are looking to introduce parking schemes. Nether Edge is not among them, for the simple reason that the area doesn’t experience the severe parking problems that exist elsewhere, so it isn’t a priority.

I have more direct knowledge of council policy on this than most as I used to work for the council and that was one of the areas of work I dealt with.

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Again, what is the scheme there?   Why do you have latch onto details you can criticise me over instead of actually answering questions that might be useful?

1 hour ago, Resident said:

OP gets information/opinions that opposes there own & is asked to proved more to support their supposition, immediately states that the whole site is useless and negative. 

The problem with today's society in a nutshell. "You're not agreeing with me so you're wrong", a form of gaslighting. 

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

And yet the streets around brincliffe are rammed with parked cars.

Yes, but the cars generally belong to the residents. A parking scheme won’t make that better, in fact it would make the situation worse, because they would protect junctions and accesses with yellow lines, so there would be less space available. That would be an issue for  the residents, who might not want a scheme as a result.

There was a similar issue on several streets in the Sharrow Vale scheme and residents decided to opt out of that scheme on certain streets.

6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Do you think Arbourthorne has more problems than Nether Edge?  I already said “thank you for the correction”. Why do you keep going on and on about this red herring? Do you not have anything of substance to add, anything constructive?

“Scare-mongering”?  Really?

6 minutes ago, Allison R said:

Thank you.  This is encouraging.  We will be presenting the petition to the Council next week.  Hopefully, they will be open to compromises like putting a more effective scheme only in the affected streets, ideally without meters (surely this kind of thing can be done electronically in this day and age?) and leave the 90% of us who don’t want it out of it - at least for enough time to figure out whether the knock-on effect from those few streets really will have an impact spread out over so many streets.  

People grumble so much about the Council, but my experience of them has been positive and hopefully the grumbles will prove to be unfounded.

They can’t really put in schemes without pay and display machines as it is seen as disadvantaging those who don’t have (or want to,use) app based solutions.

Other places tried to go cashless Brighton was a notable one) and took out machines,  but after protests from motorists, had to put some back. The council now typically put in less machines than they used to on previous schemes because many do use the apps, but many still want to use cash.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Yes, but the cars generally belong to the residents. A parking scheme won’t make that better, in fact it would make the situation worse, because they would protect junctions and accesses with yellow lines, so there would be less space available. That would be an issue for  the residents, who might not want a scheme as a result.

There was a similar issue on several streets in the Sharrow Vale scheme and residents decided to opt out of that scheme on certain streets.

This is the same with most of us!  There are a few streets actually experiencing problems from commuter parking.  There are a few other streets experiencing other problems which this scheme will not solve. The scheme plans to include 65 streets, most of which are not experiencing any problem whatsoever and are convinced that we will not experience a problem from the knock-on effect of doing something on those few other streets. Would it be so hard for the Council to hold off for half a year on making the scheme this widespread to see if the other streets need it?  

And the reduction in viable parking resulting from painting yellow lines is exactly one of the problems with this scheme. Some people have what is effectively a guaranteed parking place because they park across their own driveways – these will all disappear.   Moreover, the designation of parking bays will actually end up making two places where there might be three and three places where there might be four because they have to make the space is big enough for big cars when most people drive smaller cars. Ditto for smaller stretches which might fit a mini-car but will now be double-yellowed off.

Hopefully, they will listen to us as they listen to Sharrow Vale.  

29 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I think you are missing the point. You have come and posted incorrect information on a number of points. You posts are alarmist about which areas might be next and yet you openly admit to a lack of observation on the schemes you are so against and haven’t even noticed that one of the areas you say will be “next” actually already has a scheme.  

It doesn’t help your case and doesn’t do much for your credibility. Getting your facts right is important as on forums there’s usually someone who does know the correct information and will shoot down your argument.

There are arguments for and against schemes like this and I’ve always said to people who live and do business in the proposed locations that they should be very sure that what’s on offer meets their needs and tell the council if it doesn’t.

These schemes will never suit everyone, but it is important to remember that they reflect the thrust of policy at local and national level, which is to discourage car use for as many trips as possible.

In my opinion the only effective way to do that is to make things more difficult or expensive for the motorist and limiting  the availability of free parking close to the city centre is one way of discouraging car commuting. There is plenty of parking in the city centre and the prices compare well with other similar size cities, but many folk just don’t want to pay.

And you have continually latched on to irrelevant details rather than addressing relevant points or answering relevant questions.  “It doesn’t help your case and doesn’t do much for your credibility.”

“Alarmist”?  Really?

”Shoot down” - interesting choice of words and my point exactly.  I can’t understand why there can’t be a civilised, meaningful discussion. This is you exactly: someone who hangs around wanting to shoot people down. I am not sure what you get out of that, but it is certainly not constructive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Hmmm... :huh:

And this is where we see that SCC 'logic' is flawed.

Surely it's more important to 'protect junctions and accesses with yellow lines' even if that would mean there would be 'less space available'? :roll: