Taxpayers' Funds Proposed To Be Wasted On Unwanted & Ineffective Parking Scheme

3 hours ago, Man in Crete said:

You need to read more! The consultation for kelham and neepsend finished weeks ago and it’s upto scc to decide whether to proceed without further ado

admire your confidence but nether edge will be next whether you like it or not 

I’d suggest you might read the council’s parking strategy here. It tells you which areas they regard as having high levels of parking pressure. Those are the ones they are going to look to introduce parking schemes in. 

Kellham, Neepsend and Park Hill are in that list, Nether Edge is not.

26 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I’d suggest you might read the council’s parking strategy here. It tells you which areas they regard as having high levels of parking pressure. Those are the ones they are going to look to introduce parking schemes in. 

My bold. 

Also what is not realised is that while the lower parts of Nether Edge, towards the Abbeydale Road end might have issues with street parking, the upper parts, including Brincliffe & over to Ecclesall Road & Nether Edge down towards Sharrow, have many large houses with their own drives, so road side parking is less than an issue so it would be pointless for SCC to run a permit scheme for residents. 

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Also what is not realised is that while the lower parts of Nether Edge, towards the Abbeydale Road end might have issues with street parking, the upper parts, including Brincliffe & over to Ecclesall Road & Nether Edge down towards Sharrow, have many large houses with their own drives, so road side parking is less than an issue so it would be pointless for SCC to run a permit scheme for residents. 

And yet the streets around brincliffe are rammed with parked cars.

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I was involved in that scheme and am proud of what we achieved. If you came to the meetings you might recognise me.

The public / stakeholder engagement was the best of any of the schemes I saw in my time at SCC. When I visit Broomhill, people still stop me in the street and tell me what a good piece of work it was.

What did that scheme involve?  Perhaps it would be more effective than what is being proposed in our area?

9 hours ago, sibon said:

If  it is anything like the other schemes in the city, you will be able to elect to not have your driveway white lined. That means that you can park across it at will. But so can others.

Your choice. 

Parking schemes are usually pretty beneficial to residents. Maybe you should engage positively with the council and give it a chance.

They are not ****e lines, but double yellows.

10 hours ago, Allison R said:

This does not make sense.  Why does this bother you so much?  I am going to remove this post if possible.  If not, I won’t bother coming back here. What a useless negative site!

OP gets information/opinions that opposes there own & is asked to proved more to support their supposition, immediately states that the whole site is useless and negative. 

The problem with today's society in a nutshell. "You're not agreeing with me so you're wrong", a form of gaslighting. 

• Like 1

Guest sibon
6 minutes ago, Allison R said:

They are not ****e lines, but double yellows.

Ask them not to paint them across your driveway. See what they say.

10 hours ago, Planner1 said:

All the money that the council gets to spend on transport schemes comes from central government. The government gets it from general taxation.

Council tax income isn’t used for transport schemes.

I know this because I’ve been involved in those schemes for the past 40 years or so.

So, if you want to communicate your opposition to the proposed scheme to all the taxpayers who fund it, you might want to cast your net a bit wider than Sheffield.

9 hours ago, sibon said:

To be fair, the Broomhill scheme transformed my life when I lived there. I went from almost never being able to park on my own road, to being confident that I'd be fine unloading a supermarket shop. From my car, obviously😀

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I was involved in that scheme and am proud of what we achieved. If you came to the meetings you might recognise me.

The public / stakeholder engagement was the best of any of the schemes I saw in my time at SCC. When I visit Broomhill, people still stop me in the street and tell me what a good piece of work it was.

All the money that the council gets to spend on transport schemes comes from central government. The government gets it from general taxation.

I know this because I’ve been involved in those schemes for the past 40 years or so.

So, if you want to communicate your opposition to the proposed scheme to all the taxpayers who fund it, you might want to cast your net a bit wider than Sheffield.

My advice would be not to underestimate the amount of displaced parking there will be.

On other schemes, streets were left out at residents request because they reckoned they didn’t have a problem and didn’t think they would in future.

But, once the scheme actually went in, they were asking to be put back into the scheme because  things rapidly  got worse.

I’d also advise you that parking can be a very polarising issue and people have very strong opinions about it. Not everyone will agree with your point of view and some people can fall out with you in a big way. 

In one of your earlier posts you were speculating that Nether Edge and Crookesmoor would be next for parking schemes.

Crookesmoor actually has a parking scheme. Did you not know?

Nether Edge is not a council priority for a parking scheme. 

The areas they will be looking at are listed in their adopted parking strategy which you can find  here

They are listed as the areas known to be experiencing high levels of parking pressure in the Non City Centre Controlled Parking Zones section. They are mainly the areas immediately adjacent to the city centre.

Details.  No need to throw out the baby with the bath water.  And no need to be condescending. 

These details you’re focusing on are red herrings and don’t affect our opinion or the purpose of this post.

All I wanted to do was put information out there in case others wanted to take 3 minutes to try to make a small say that might avoid the potential of a similar scheme coming to their area and might make it possible for £600k of their tax funds to be put to better use.  So I got these tiny details  off - which areas might be affected in future is not relevant to the substance of what I’m saying.

I don’t know what the scheme in Crooksmoor is like - I drive a bicycle, so I don’t pay attention to these things. But if it’s not a bunch of pay-and-displays on residential streets, then your using it to “discredit” a different type of scheme is not appropriate.  Even if it is exactly the same scheme, the parking situation in an area like Crooksmoor and that of an area like Arbourthorne are clearly very different. You would think as a planner, and someone clearly very focused on details, that you would see that and use your experience for positive suggestions instead of just trying to joust with someone who was trying to do the right thing.  You will win, Planner, as you clearly have more experience and expertise than I.  But what will you “win”?  The paltry knowledge that you squelched someone who was trying to do some good?

50 minutes ago, Resident said:

OP gets information/opinions that opposes there own & is asked to proved more to support their supposition, immediately states that the whole site is useless and negative. 

The problem with today's society in a nutshell. "You're not agreeing with me so you're wrong", a form of gaslighting. 

Can you see the irony of what you’re saying? Turn the mirror back at yourself.  There are ways of expressing disagreement that are not disdainful.  This meanness - and the emptiness behind it that gives people the illusion that it gives them some kind of significance - is “the nutshell”problem.

Regardless of where the money comes from, it is a waste of money that could be used for other things. Even if the funds earmarked for this are to be used only for transport schemes, there are so many transport-related solutions that would be more effective than this.  If the problem is city centre commuters parking on a few roads that end of our area, why not make affordable parking in the city centre instead?  This might also help to revitalise that area.  Park & ride schemes - effectively planned, not just a single one in Rotherham or whatever that other person was talking about - could also be a better solution and would also mitigate pollution?

If this is your area of expertise, why not propose effective solutions instead of focusing on making me wrong?  If you think that I am ignorant, why not educate me instead of assuming the worst about me (as so many people do about the Council every time I defend them), instead of condescending to me? 

And even with the explanations you have put here, nothing you have said has convinced me that you actually understand our situation. You just seem like someone who wants to brag about what he knows and not actually look at what the person is saying.

I have no interest in “casting [my] net” anywhere else.  What would be the point: to subject myself to a bunch more disdain?  

Edited by Allison R
Adding

9 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

You say that like it's something to be proud of! :hihi:

I see your meanness is across the board.

Terry is a genuine person. I worked with him a good few times while I was at the Council.

They haven’t changed, the Council has always listened to what people said, but what you should remember is that consultation is just that, it isn’t a ballot. It gives the decision makers ( councillors) a flavour of local opinion, that’s all. 

The council have never been in the business of imposing parking schemes in locations where the local people don’t want one. Proposals in several schemes were significantly changed in accordance with local wishes and a proposed scheme around the Northern General Hospital was dropped when most locals opposed it.

This is what Terry said to us.  We hope it’s true.  Bottom line: over 90% of the streets in our area don’t want it.  Hopefully 1800 signatures is enough that they will listen - oh, plus the 1 to 10 extras that have gone on since I made the mistake of posting here.

My advice would be not to underestimate the amount of displaced parking there will be.

On other schemes, streets were left out at residents request because they reckoned they didn’t have a problem and didn’t think they would in future.

But, once the scheme actually went in, they were asking to be put back into the scheme because  things rapidly  got worse.

I’d also advise you that parking can be a very polarising issue and people have very strong opinions about it. Not everyone will agree with your point of view and some people can fall out with you in a big way. 

Clearly.  When we went door-to-door with the petition, we discussed this and since there are so few streets affected by the commuters, we all feel that the 90%+ of streets not currently affected can handle the displacement and this would be preferable to us than having pay-and-display on our streets. 

Edited by Allison R
Adding

46 minutes ago, sibon said:

Ask them not to paint them across your driveway. See what they say.

Do you think if I ask them not to put a pay-and-display meter in front of my house, they will also listen?

47 minutes ago, Resident said:

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

And wouldn’t Nether Edge look beautiful with pay-and-display meters and yellow parking lot lines on those leafy streets?

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

More red herrings.  Is your goal to be “right” or is your goal to speak about meaningful substance?

1 minute ago, Allison R said:

Do you think if I ask them not to put a pay-and-display meter in front of my house, they will also listen?

The council are usually open to discussion on the details of any scheme. 

On previous parking schemes, the standard treatment was a single yellow line to protect driveways, but they did change it to a white line ( which is advisory only and not enforceable) if a resident or business requested it.

The location of parking machines is normally also up for discussion, they normally only need one or two on a street unless it is very long. However, be aware that most people don’t like having such infrastructure outside their houses, so they will probably get the same objection wherever they put the machine and it’s got to go somewhere.