Taxpayers' Funds Proposed To Be Wasted On Unwanted & Ineffective Parking Scheme

3 minutes ago, Allison R said:

What doesn’t make sense is that you’re saying I’m presenting this information citywide, then I should extend that to nationwide. This is a Council plan and a Council decision paid for with Council funds, not national funds – as far as I understand and according to the email we received from the Council. If that is wrong, could you please correct me – ideally without disdain if you would like the information to be taken in – and tell me your source?

All the money that the council gets to spend on transport schemes comes from central government. The government gets it from general taxation.

Council tax income isn’t used for transport schemes.

I know this because I’ve been involved in those schemes for the past 40 years or so.

So, if you want to communicate your opposition to the proposed scheme to all the taxpayers who fund it, you might want to cast your net a bit wider than Sheffield.

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

All the money that the council gets to spend on transport schemes comes from central government. The government gets it from general taxation.

Council tax income isn’t used for transport schemes.

I know this because I’ve been involved in those schemes for the past 40 years or so.

So, if you want to communicate your opposition to the proposed scheme to all the taxpayers who fund it, you might want to cast your net a bit wider than Sheffield.

Hmmm... :huh:

You say that like it's something to be proud of! :hihi:

Guest sibon
32 minutes ago, Allison R said:

We understand this logic, but the residents who currently have no problem have considered this and our streets have plenty of room for overflow.  Most of us feel that we would rather have the parkers displaced from the 4 affected streets parking on our streets (they will be spread out over so many streets, we don;t feel it will be a problem) than to have our visitors/carers/tradespeople have to pay for pay-and-display, and have ugly meters and yellow lines on our streets, to not be able to park across our own driveways, and to pay for permits to park for non-guaranteed parking in our own streets.

If  it is anything like the other schemes in the city, you will be able to elect to not have your driveway white lined. That means that you can park across it at will. But so can others.

Your choice. 

Parking schemes are usually pretty beneficial to residents. Maybe you should engage positively with the council and give it a chance.

5 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I think it is.

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

To be fair, the Broomhill scheme transformed my life when I lived there. I went from almost never being able to park on my own road, to being confident that I'd be fine unloading a supermarket shop. From my car, obviously😀

18 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Some people on this forum defend the council repeatedly 

I am also defending the council. Terry Fox assured us he would listen to us, and I believe him – despite the common assertion that they are all just lying.  I believe they have changed and this petition will make a difference.  If I am wrong, I tried.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

To be fair, the Broomhill scheme transformed my life when I lived there. I went from almost never being able to park on my own road, to being confident that I'd be fine unloading a supermarket shop. From my car, obviously😀

I was involved in that scheme and am proud of what we achieved. If you came to the meetings you might recognise me.

The public / stakeholder engagement was the best of any of the schemes I saw in my time at SCC. When I visit Broomhill, people still stop me in the street and tell me what a good piece of work it was.

Guest sibon
7 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I was involved in that scheme and am proud of what we achieved. If you came to the meetings you might recognise me.

The public / stakeholder engagement was the best of any of the schemes I saw in my time at SCC. When I visit Broomhill, people still stop me in the street and tell me what a good piece of work it was.

I didn't attend the meetings. But I did have a lot of very positive engagement with Kavan, who is, of course, another Sheffield Forum contributor. 

My objections were listened to and changes were made. We ended up with a vastly improved environment.

I still find it good now, when I visit as an outsider. Never difficult to park.

Edited by sibon

15 minutes ago, Allison R said:

I am also defending the council. Terry Fox assured us he would listen to us, and I believe him – despite the common assertion that they are all just lying.  I believe they have changed and this petition will make a difference.  If I am wrong, I tried.

He will listen to you and then the council will do as they want 

8 minutes ago, Allison R said:

Terry is a genuine person. I worked with him a good few times while I was at the Council.

They haven’t changed, the Council has always listened to what people said, but what you should remember is that consultation is just that, it isn’t a ballot. It gives the decision makers ( councillors) a flavour of local opinion, that’s all. 

The council have never been in the business of imposing parking schemes in locations where the local people don’t want one. Proposals in several schemes were significantly changed in accordance with local wishes and a proposed scheme around the Northern General Hospital was dropped when most locals opposed it.

1 hour ago, Allison R said:

We understand this logic, but the residents who currently have no problem have considered this and our streets have plenty of room for overflow.  Most of us feel that we would rather have the parkers displaced from the 4 affected streets parking on our streets (they will be spread out over so many streets, we don;t feel it will be a problem) than to have our visitors/carers/tradespeople have to pay for pay-and-display, and have ugly meters and yellow lines on our streets, to not be able to park across our own driveways, and to pay for permits to park for non-guaranteed parking in our own streets.

My advice would be not to underestimate the amount of displaced parking there will be.

On other schemes, streets were left out at residents request because they reckoned they didn’t have a problem and didn’t think they would in future.

But, once the scheme actually went in, they were asking to be put back into the scheme because  things rapidly  got worse.

I’d also advise you that parking can be a very polarising issue and people have very strong opinions about it. Not everyone will agree with your point of view and some people can fall out with you in a big way. 

1 hour ago, Allison R said:

What misinformation? 

In one of your earlier posts you were speculating that Nether Edge and Crookesmoor would be next for parking schemes.

Crookesmoor actually has a parking scheme. Did you not know?

Nether Edge is not a council priority for a parking scheme. 

The areas they will be looking at are listed in their adopted parking strategy which you can find  here

They are listed as the areas known to be experiencing high levels of parking pressure in the Non City Centre Controlled Parking Zones section. They are mainly the areas immediately adjacent to the city centre.