Choccie Best Before Dates

Hello everyone! :wave:

Following my recent (and I might add, very well received) attempts at warning you all of the dangers of taking things for granted (see Diary Of A Techie Dinosaur), I've decided to share my thoughts on a recent shopping trip I've had.

Where are you all going??? :hihi:

Anyroad, this is more of a heads up than a rant, and I'd be interested to hear everyone's anyone's thoughts...
... so here we go then!

Right... It happens to be an old friend of mine's birthday in a few weeks, so I decided to get a special box of choccies for the event.

Now being a Yorkshireman, I'm not in the habit of parting with my hard-earned without first ensuring I'm getting value for money, so the decision to visit a rather well-known chocolate shop on Fargate was quite a big decision!

I'd used the same place a few years ago for another quite big event, and although it was expensive, I couldn't fault the choccies quality or the service I received from the staff.

So having first checked with Andi (see Diary Of A Techie Dinosaur) that the place still existed, and that they had what I was looking for, I set off on my adventure.

I was greeted totally ignored by a young lady stood on sentry duty by the door.

No problem, I wouldn't want to talk to me either! :hihi:

When I found the shelves with the type of choccies I had in mind, I couldn't find the exact assortment that I wanted, so decided to ask the sentry for help.  

After a couple of attempts at attracting her attention, I managed to distract her from the obviously captivating events that must have been happening outside on Fargate.

The conversation went something like:  "Excuse me, but do you have any choccies of <specified assortment>?"

The sentry walked over to the shelves, patted a few boxes, and in a rather well-spoken voice said: "I'm assuming we don't have any of that type", and went back to her post, obviously wishing she was outside in the lovely weather.

Now forgive me, but that is the sort of customer service I wouldn't even  expect to get from an assistant in one of the pound shops! :rant:

"I'm assuming" - Not "Sorry we don't have any of those in stock", or "I'll just check for you".

But it got worse!

Being left to fend for myself, I decided on my 2nd choice assortment of choccies. These were from the same range as my 1st choice.

And we're not talking cheap here - £23.50 for 30 choccies...
... or for the less eloquent amongst us, 78 pence a gobful! :hihi:

I approached the till and was greeted by Gideon (he even put his name on my receipt).

He was a pleasant enough chap, who supplied me with a 'free' Happy Birthday sleeve for my choccies (at my request) and asked if I required a bag.

You bet I did at these prices! :hihi:

I left the shop by side-stepping the sentry who was still monitoring events outside.

Having walked a few hundred yards away, and still musing about my mixed experience at the house of chocolate, I was obviously a bit wary about how their standards seem to have fallen.

Now for some reason, suspicious as I am, I decided to check the best before date of my choccies.

With the help of Andi, I'd seen on their website that they were having a special offer, and that the choccies that I'd originally wanted were less than half price but had a best before date at the end of May.

No problem, as they didn't have any left anyway - and as these choccies (like I suspect most) are for a prezzie, no-one wants to give (or receive) out of date choccies for a prezzie, do they? :shakes:

Imagine my surprise when I checked the best before date on my choccies and it was - the end of May!

My fault for not checking in the shop I suppose, but wouldn't anyone naturally think that if the 'end of May' choccies were being sold for half price, then you might expect that if you're paying full price your choccies might have a bit longer lifespan? :nod:

So the shop is still selling choccies with the same best before date for double the price it is selling them online for!

Yes, before anyone starts, I know they are still perfectly good choccies and they are within their rights to sell them for whatever they like up to the end date...

BUT... this place is supposed to be a high quality shop selling special gifts for special occasions!

People buy gifts as prezzies often weeks before the handover date.

I wonder how many people have bought choccies in good faith, and by the time they're handed over, they're out of date and they've not realised! :(

And even worse, what if the person you're giving the choccies to does notice they're out of date? What are they going to think of you? :suspect:

So, as you might imagine, I trekked back to the house of chocolate.

Fortunately the sentry was being cross-questioned by another unsuspecting customer.

I found Gideon and explained that my choccies were approaching the end of their life, and that such choccies were on offer on their website.

Gideon wasn't the slightest bit surprised and replied that they often had offers on their website - but I think he was missing the point here!

Now I wasn't wanting them on the cheap, I was just wanting some that said I'm not really a miserable old git who gives his friends out of date choccies (should anyone notice they're not likely to tell you, are they?) :hihi:

So I asked if I could replace them for some that had a bit longer lifespan.

Again more surprise, when Gideon checked and told me that all the boxes on the shelves were the same 'best before end May'!

BUT the thing that really got me truffled was some boxes even had a special 'Fathers Day' sleeve around them (very nice)...
... Father's Day being on 19th June this year! (nearly 3 weeks past the best before date) :roll:

I was pretty miffed by this point and couldn't help thinking out loud when I perhaps unfairly told Gideon "This place really has gone downhill hasn't it?...
... before giving him an escape from embarrassment by adding "Well you can't really comment, because you work here!" :hihi:

He gave a bit of a spluttered cough, which I took to be his agreement! (and not an indication that all customer facing sales staff should still be wearing a mask).

So I was left with no option but to go with my 3rd choice assortment (best before August 2022).

Let this be a warning to anyone who is thinking of getting their dear old Dad a special treat for Father's Day!

I said "Thanks" and left.

Neither Gideon or the sentry returned my pleasantry! :(

• Like 1

Nothing new, for weeks before Xmas the supermarkets pile boxes of mince pies high, many of which will have best before dates well before the 20th December, let alone the 25th.

Edited by HeHasRisen

'I see your point, @Mr Bloke, and agree that it is a bit 'dodgy' selling the same stuff at half-price online   and full-price instore, but 'best before' is meaningless on a product which realistically has a very much longer life than that date - it is one of the daft ideas imposed by HMG on all foodstuff labelling which bears no relationship to its normal life, and can be safely ignored. The 'use by' date on 'fresh' produce serves a slightly more useful function, but even that can be safely ignored if you use your eyes and nose properly, and store such items at a cold temperature - I regularly have milk in my fridge (at around 3C) which is a week after the 'use by' date and still perfectly drinkable in my coffee.

two lines in -

& I'm here 🤣 💤

Edited by Rockers rule
-

Got some American mustard in my fridge with a 2010 best before date, still use it on a barbecued sausage :)

Not sure it's deteriorated much, bit of shake, and good to go.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Nothing new, for weeks before Xmas the supermarkets pile boxes of mince pies high, many of which will have best before dates well before the 20th December, let alone the 25th.

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

'I see your point, @Mr Bloke, and agree that it is a bit 'dodgy' selling the same stuff at half-price online   and full-price instore, but 'best before' is meaningless on a product which realistically has a very much longer life than that date - it is one of the daft ideas imposed by HMG on all foodstuff labelling which bears no relationship to its normal life, and can be safely ignored. The 'use by' date on 'fresh' produce serves a slightly more useful function, but even that can be safely ignored if you use your eyes and nose properly, and store such items at a cold temperature - I regularly have milk in my fridge (at around 3C) which is a week after the 'use by' date and still perfectly drinkable in my coffee.

8 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Got some American mustard in my fridge with a 2010 best before date, still use it on a barbecued sausage :)

Not sure it's deteriorated much, bit of shake, and good to go.

Hmmm... :huh:

Yep - I understand all that (and do similar myself) BUT...

... I think it's slightly different when you're looking at giving someone a present.

What would be your thoughts if someone gave you an 'out of date' box of choccies as a special present? :suspect:

9 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

two lines in -

& I'm here 🤣 💤

The original post, I assume you mean? Yup, a bit long-winded and lacking in clarity (sorry, Mr Bloke), but worth reading, IMO.

Just now, Mr Bloke said:

Yep - I understand all that (and do similar myself) BUT...

... I think it's slightly different when you're looking at giving someone a present.

What would be your thoughts if someone gave you an 'out of date' box of choccies as a special present? :suspect:

Emboldened bit - I probably wouldn't even notice as I rarely, if ever, check.

they dont do service in shops any more,i worked at Dunns the hat suit people 50 years ago,it was morning sir,would sir like his hat/cap steaming.while one looks for a suit,then get them the lift,buy or not by it was thank you for calling and hand them there hat or cap back nice and fresh ,but those have gone,so sad

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The original post, I assume you mean? Yup, a bit long-winded and lacking in clarity (sorry, Mr Bloke), but worth reading, IMO.

Compared to the diary of a techie dinosaur  (link in op) this latest masterpiece is a mere  jotting.

As for out of date chocolates if she ain't noticed - you've got away with it :banana:,

Having prop't  my eye lids open with matchsticks, managed to read  Mr Bloke's latest missive .

If any of my kids give me a £23.50p box of chocs for Fathers day I shan't be held responsible for my actions :suspect: .

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hello everyone! :wave:

Following my recent (and I might add, very well received) attempts at warning you all of the dangers of taking things for granted (see Diary Of A Techie Dinosaur), I've decided to share my thoughts on a recent shopping trip I've had.

Where are you all going??? :hihi:

Anyroad, this is more of a heads up than a rant, and I'd be interested to hear everyone's anyone's thoughts...
... so here we go then!

Right... It happens to be an old friend of mine's birthday in a few weeks, so I decided to get a special box of choccies for the event.

Now being a Yorkshireman, I'm not in the habit of parting with my hard-earned without first ensuring I'm getting value for money, so the decision to visit a rather well-known chocolate shop on Fargate was quite a big decision!

I'd used the same place a few years ago for another quite big event, and although it was expensive, I couldn't fault the choccies quality or the service I received from the staff.

So having first checked with Andi (see Diary Of A Techie Dinosaur) that the place still existed, and that they had what I was looking for, I set off on my adventure.

I was greeted totally ignored by a young lady stood on sentry duty by the door.

No problem, I wouldn't want to talk to me either! :hihi:

When I found the shelves with the type of choccies I had in mind, I couldn't find the exact assortment that I wanted, so decided to ask the sentry for help.  

After a couple of attempts at attracting her attention, I managed to distract her from the obviously captivating events that must have been happening outside on Fargate.

The conversation went something like:  "Excuse me, but do you have any choccies of <specified assortment>?"

The sentry walked over to the shelves, patted a few boxes, and in a rather well-spoken voice said: "I'm assuming we don't have any of that type", and went back to her post, obviously wishing she was outside in the lovely weather.

Now forgive me, but that is the sort of customer service I wouldn't even  expect to get from an assistant in one of the pound shops! :rant:

"I'm assuming" - Not "Sorry we don't have any of those in stock", or "I'll just check for you".

But it got worse!

Being left to fend for myself, I decided on my 2nd choice assortment of choccies. These were from the same range as my 1st choice.

And we're not talking cheap here - £23.50 for 30 choccies...
... or for the less eloquent amongst us, 78 pence a gobful! :hihi:

I approached the till and was greeted by Gideon (he even put his name on my receipt).

He was a pleasant enough chap, who supplied me with a 'free' Happy Birthday sleeve for my choccies (at my request) and asked if I required a bag.

You bet I did at these prices! :hihi:

I left the shop by side-stepping the sentry who was still monitoring events outside.

Having walked a few hundred yards away, and still musing about my mixed experience at the house of chocolate, I was obviously a bit wary about how their standards seem to have fallen.

Now for some reason, suspicious as I am, I decided to check the best before date of my choccies.

With the help of Andi, I'd seen on their website that they were having a special offer, and that the choccies that I'd originally wanted were less than half price but had a best before date at the end of May.

No problem, as they didn't have any left anyway - and as these choccies (like I suspect most) are for a prezzie, no-one wants to give (or receive) out of date choccies for a prezzie, do they? :shakes:

Imagine my surprise when I checked the best before date on my choccies and it was - the end of May!

My fault for not checking in the shop I suppose, but wouldn't anyone naturally think that if the 'end of May' choccies were being sold for half price, then you might expect that if you're paying full price your choccies might have a bit longer lifespan? :nod:

So the shop is still selling choccies with the same best before date for double the price it is selling them online for!

Yes, before anyone starts, I know they are still perfectly good choccies and they are within their rights to sell them for whatever they like up to the end date...

BUT... this place is supposed to be a high quality shop selling special gifts for special occasions!

People buy gifts as prezzies often weeks before the handover date.

I wonder how many people have bought choccies in good faith, and by the time they're handed over, they're out of date and they've not realised! :(

And even worse, what if the person you're giving the choccies to does notice they're out of date? What are they going to think of you? :suspect:

So, as you might imagine, I trekked back to the house of chocolate.

Fortunately the sentry was being cross-questioned by another unsuspecting customer.

I found Gideon and explained that my choccies were approaching the end of their life, and that such choccies were on offer on their website.

Gideon wasn't the slightest bit surprised and replied that they often had offers on their website - but I think he was missing the point here!

Now I wasn't wanting them on the cheap, I was just wanting some that said I'm not really a miserable old git who gives his friends out of date choccies (should anyone notice they're not likely to tell you, are they?) :hihi:

So I asked if I could replace them for some that had a bit longer lifespan.

Again more surprise, when Gideon checked and told me that all the boxes on the shelves were the same 'best before end May'!

BUT the thing that really got me truffled was some boxes even had a special 'Fathers Day' sleeve around them (very nice)...
... Father's Day being on 19th June this year! (nearly 3 weeks past the best before date) :roll:

I was pretty miffed by this point and couldn't help thinking out loud when I perhaps unfairly told Gideon "This place really has gone downhill hasn't it?...
... before giving him an escape from embarrassment by adding "Well you can't really comment, because you work here!" :hihi:

He gave a bit of a spluttered cough, which I took to be his agreement! (and not an indication that all customer facing sales staff should still be wearing a mask).

So I was left with no option but to go with my 3rd choice assortment (best before August 2022).

Let this be a warning to anyone who is thinking of getting their dear old Dad a special treat for Father's Day!

I said "Thanks" and left.

Neither Gideon or the sentry returned my pleasantry! :(

Well Mr. Bloke, compared to "Diary of a techie Dinosaur" That was short and Sweet"

I was planning on getting my Jim Jams on, sucking on a Mars Bar, and getting a good nights sleep..

Anyway back on Topic..

To be honest, I think your being a bit of a fuss pot, the shops in my neck of the woods operate a policy where "The Customer is Always Wrong"

I'm assuming the choccies were not intended for a young lady, so surely a box of Ferrero Rocher would in this instance sufficed.

And of course it's not everyday you get to be served by a guy called Gideon, I have to make do with the "Kens" of this world.

I would have asked Gideon for a large Toblerone...

I also think you could have approached the young lady sentry in a more Amiable manner, Wispa in her ear and give her a Twirl.

Then ask her if she'd like a walk down Quality St. to a Picnic your having, or catch a Double Decker bus..

Next time your on a shopping trip, think positive, make peoples day, and get rid of this negativity.

Otherwise people will begin to think your well past your sell buy date...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Padders said:

Well Mr. Bloke, compared to "Diary of a techie Dinosaur" That was short and Sweet"

I was planning on getting my Jim Jams on, sucking on a Mars Bar, and getting a good nights sleep..

Anyway back on Topic..

To be honest, I think your being a bit of a fuss pot, the shops in my neck of the woods operate a policy where "The Customer is Always Wrong"

I'm assuming the choccies were not intended for a young lady, so surely a box of Ferrero Rocher would in this instance sufficed.

And of course it's not everyday you get to be served by a guy called Gideon, I have to make do with the "Kens" of this world.

I would have asked Gideon for a large Toblerone...

I also think you could have approached the young lady sentry in a more Amiable manner, Wispa in her ear and give her a Twirl.

Then ask her if she'd like a walk down Quality St. to a Picnic your having, or catch a Double Decker bus..

Next time your on a shopping trip, think positive, make peoples day, and get rid of this negativity.

Otherwise people will begin to think your well past your sell buy date...

Sometimes I get the feeling that my efforts on here to educate the plebs masses are not fully appreciated! :roll:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that my efforts on here to educate the plebs masses are not fully appreciated! :roll:

Oh dear,

Once again I detect a sense of negativity,  life is not a Bed Of Roses I'm afraid...

I'm pretty sure that there are many insomniacs Posters on here that enjoy reading about your little Ups and Downs in life...

Please feel free to continue posting your much loved Manuscripts stories on the Forum.

Looking forward to your next contribution. yawn