Herding's Community & Heritage Centre

7 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

I'm not sure how you were at school or what kids are like these days but when I was at school you tended to stick with the kids in the same year with just the odd one a year older or younger in your group, and then when I got to around 18 that wasn't so important anymore.

I'll ask my nephew tomorrow on Whatsapp, daren't do it now as he's probably working tomorrow. He's not like me, up all night watching Netflix.😂

Yes, the Cutlers now an Indian isn't it, Cutlers Spice? I have been in there, had a Chicken Dhansak, not much chicken but loads of pineapple.😂

Yes I was the same, only hung around with kids in my year group.  

The West’s were about 2 years apart in age.

I used to like the Cutlers when it was a pub but as I’m not keen on Indian food I’ve not been in there for years.

14 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

We moved into a maisonette on Gaunt rd in 1959, the estate was still being built, then to a bigger house near the Bagshawe Arms five years later. I moved to Manchester in 1970 and I still live here. My grandma had an old age pensioners flat on Morland rd, but spent more time in the Cutlers arms, which was run by 2 mates of mine's dad called Senn, they made sure she got home safe. The only time I come to Sheffield now is to watch Wednesday or visit graves, I was wondering what the estate looked like now. I don't recall any of the names you mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Ian was a year younger than me, a big united fan, so we didn't always see eye to eye, John was a year older, don't think he was into football. My 3 sons, grandson and me used to come over all the time, these day's it's  just mainly me and 1 son. Disappointed with this season, it's frustrating how many points  we gave away to poorer teams, it's over now, lets get the retained list out and start again. When I met my wife she lived on the Kelvin, Portland Walk.

• Like 1

Can't see the reasoning behind the Hutchinson decision, is it money or has he upset Moore, like he was supposed have done to two previous managers. Ok so he cocked up the Sunderland goal, but for me he has had a steady season. Where did you here about Windass?  John was a sound lad, did you know he had a serious accident at work, not sure about the details. just been watching the Sunderland  celebrations, should have been us mate.

Takeaway just arrived. catch up in the week, take care ....Stu

I went to Gleadless Valley but moved to Ashleigh when I was about 13.  Not sure where everybody would have gone when GV closed though.

I would say Newfield Green,  from where I lived on Gleadless Valley, when I started secondary modern, it would have been easier for me to go there. Why did it close?

29 minutes ago, Donside 6 said:

I would say Newfield Green,  from where I lived on Gleadless Valley, when I started secondary modern, it would have been easier for me to go there. Why did it close?

I’m not sure why it closed but would be interested to know,

12 hours ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

Sorry for late reply Kate/Don, I didn't realise you'd replied, nearly slipped by me. What year did it close Kate? Did you move schools due to it closing?

Newfield Green? I can't remember a secondary school there Don. Interested to know why they shut GV school myself. Was it asbestos related?

I moved schools as we moved to Arbourthorne and Ashleigh was easier for me to get to.  I think Newfield Green school that was mentioned is probably Newfield Secondary School in Meersbrook.

• Thanks 1

Kate is right, it was just called Newfield secondary. We used to play them at football, bit of a local derby. There was a lad who played for them called Mickey Grudge who I got friendly with, we went to the matches together, for a few years until he went to live in the states and we lost contact. A few years later a record fair I picked up an LP by a major top funk band called Brass Construction and there he was playing sax for them. so there we go another Wednesday supporting musician.

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 22:47, katekate said:

Open Day & Jubilee Celebration at Herding’s Community & Heritage Centre, Morland Road, S14 - Saturday 4th June 10.30 - 2.30

Raffle

Tombola

Craft Stall

Bric-a-brac sale

Used clothing sale

Refreshments ..,,,and more.

Please come along and join us.

Just a reminder that next Saturday we are holding our open day and Jubilee celebrations.  Please come and support us and bring the community together.

• Like 1

Just an update on our event- our refreshments will be served free of charge on a first come first served basis.  There will be a small charge for the raffle, tombola etc.

• Like 1