Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

That doesn't compute. We live in a consumer society, where we work endless hours so we can buy extensive amounts of pointless consumer tat, which goes back to Anna's point about being time poor and working endlessly for little benefit.

You need recipes to bake, you don't need recipes to cook meat, veg, pasta.

If you wanna know how to do anything, it's on youtube. I haven't checked, but there may be a mashed potato video if you're struggling.

We currently send (ie fiddle unemployment stats) about 40% of the population to university. Are you suggesting it's beyond them to knock up some beans on toast, and without a deliveroo app, they'd starve to death. This is primary school level.

Re thick or lazy, what other explanation would you suggest. Being a responsible adult means you have to do adult things, that includes living within your means - more primary school maths. Offering to help those who might find it (budgeting/cooking) useful is a good approach imo, whilst forcing them to go on it is patronising.

Edited by fools

24 minutes ago, fools said:

That doesn't compute. We live in a consumer society, where we work endless hours so we can buy extensive amounts of pointless consumer tat, which goes back to Anna's point about being time poor and working endlessly for little benefit.

You need recipes to bake, you don't need recipes to cook meat, veg, pasta.

If you wanna know how to do anything, it's on youtube. I haven't checked, but there may be a mashed potato video if you're struggling.

We currently send (ie fiddle unemployment stats) about 40% of the population to university. Are you suggesting it's beyond them to knock up some beans on toast, and without a deliveroo app, they'd starve to death. This is primary school level.

Re thick or lazy, what other explanation would you suggest. Being a responsible adult means you have to do adult things, that includes living within your means - more primary school maths.

I'd say many have just not been taught the basics, or never learned. People get by with what they know, rather than learn something new. 

If the goal is helping people manage then not stigmatising them by calling them thick or lazy would be a start. And you still need recipes to cook the basics, learning what goes well with what. Beans on toast is fine for one meal, but like I said, if you're having to watch every penny, you can't afford to experiment. 

The vast majority do try to live within their means, however you'll be aware with the rising cost of food and energy, this is proving extremely difficult, if not impossible for many.

There's a Japanese tv programme about sending toddlers shopping on their own.

When you move out of your parents care, you have to suddenly clean the toilet, and cut the grass, and arrange the insurance, and feed yourself, and pay the bills - didn't learn any of that at school.

What I am saying is the reverse of stigmatising. I'm suggesting that the vast majority of people are quite capable of the maths to do a household budget, and quite capable of cooking a meal for themselves, without any patronising tuition - they may just choose not to.

The increase in the cost of living isn't going to be any better for families who don't even try to live within their means.

Lasted about 45 seconds, don't know how people listen to this stuff.

Guess confected outrage is a bit of a drug, once you're on the treadmill, it's hard to stop.

What happened to Elsie, that could have filled up endless hours of programming, it only lasted a day, hardly plebgate.

What's next weeks contrived "Fury as" headline going to be... my money's on the Bank of England or maybe Ofgem

Edited by fools

3 hours ago, fools said:

Lasted about 45 seconds, don't know how people listen to this stuff.

Guess confected outrage is a bit of a drug, once you're on the treadmill, it's hard to stop.

Its because they see it as real and not for what it is which is just cheap sensationalist entertainment to generate listeners and make a profit. Just think, if James O'Brien worked an extra hour he would net an extra £2500.

3 hours ago, fools said:

What happened to Elsie, that could have filled up endless hours of programming, it only lasted a day, hardly plebgate.

Another bit of cheap entertainment brought to you by a TV celeb who signed a contract for £1.5 million when she got the job as GMB presenter.

3 hours ago, fools said:

What's next weeks contrived "Fury as" headline going to be... my money's on the Bank of England or maybe Ofgem

Probably criticising Piers Morgan for saying Ukraine winning eurovision was just down to a sympathy vote.

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Its because they see it as real and not for what it is which is just cheap sensationalist entertainment to generate listeners and make a profit. Just think, if James O'Brien worked an extra hour he would net an extra £2500.

Another bit of cheap entertainment brought to you by a TV celeb who signed a contract for £1.5 million when she got the job as GMB presenter.

Probably criticising Piers Morgan for saying Ukraine winning eurovision was just down to a sympathy vote.

You're just bitter because LBC cancelled Nigel Farage's and Hatey Cockpin's contracts

Edited by Mister M

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Well it was, lets be honest.

I can't understand why people are struggling...

Most people carry on as usual, then complain............

What they need to do is tweek their lifestyle a bit to combat rising prices..

I always spend 3 weeks holiday in the Bahamas during July/August.

Last year it cost me £3700.

This year I've have got the cost down to £2900, by simply switching the dates to September...

Bit inconvenient, but, Hey Ho I've saved £800........Simple.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

You're just bitter because LBC cancelled Nigel Farage's and Hatey Cockpin's contracts

Not bitter but just pointing out the celeb hypocrisy and considering I don't watch or listen to it like you do that just gave me a laugh. You can tell how immature you are by the "Hatey Cockpins" remark so maybe you will travel to Lincoln and help with the egg throwing as well. :hihi:

On second thoughts.... don't do what that guy did and donate them to a well needed food bank instead.

40 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Not bitter but just pointing out the celeb hypocrisy and considering I don't watch or listen to it like you do that just gave me a laugh. You can tell how immature you are by the "Hatey Cockpins" remark so maybe you will travel to Lincoln and help with the egg throwing as well. :hihi:

On second thoughts.... don't do what that guy did and donate them to a well needed food bank instead.

Oh I am glad, that it gave you a laugh. I do worry about right wingers, they seem to be terribly miserable, always complaining about life, in spite of the fact that their government is in power.

They've got their Brexit, people struggling with the cost of living, the culture wars....I mean what more do they want!!!

On 17/05/2022 at 12:58, Mister M said:

Oh I am glad, that it gave you a laugh. I do worry about right wingers, they seem to be terribly miserable, always complaining about life, in spite of the fact that their government is in power.

They've got their Brexit, people struggling with the cost of living, the culture wars....I mean what more do they want!!!

They should have been happy with Cameron getting elected, this one will be twice as bad.