Struggling With The Cost Of Living?

Well here is the answer from Rachel Maclean, the safeguarding minister,

Cost of living crisis: Work more hours or get a better job to cope with price rises, minister urges (msn.com)

Last week we had one clown saying you could cook meals for 30p. It must be lovely living in their world with no money worries, high salaries, generous expenses and very generous pensions.

3 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Last week we had one clown saying you could cook meals for 30p.

I take the point but that suggestion is no different to anyone else suggesting it. Take, for example, Jack Monroe, who was already suggesting similar 2 years ago.

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/articles/meals-under-a-fiver-jack-monroe-recipes

Edited by HeHasRisen

16 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Well here is the answer from Rachel Maclean, the safeguarding minister,

Cost of living crisis: Work more hours or get a better job to cope with price rises, minister urges (msn.com)

Last week we had one clown saying you could cook meals for 30p. It must be lovely living in their world with no money worries, high salaries, generous expenses and very generous pensions.

I'm sure it is, but if you look beyond the snappy headline and the hysterical instant outrage, you will see that the minister was actually talking about long-term needs of protection and building back a stable economy to enable people to take on more hours or find alternative job roles.  It's talking about making sure government policies give relevant opportunities for people seeking work, keeping in work or seeking advancement to better themselves into higher paid roles. 

Something I'm sure, if we actually took a step back and thought about it, we would  all agree on.....including the opposition.

But as per usual, the full context is ignored, the message gets completely twisted and distorted by the manipulating media, twitterati and overreactors and all people get to hear about is the drama and outrage from what they've said.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I'm sure it is bit if you look beyond the snappy headline and the hysterical instant outrage, you will see that the minister actually was talking about long-term issues of protection and building back a stable economy to enable people to take on more hours or find alternative job roles.

It's talking about making sure government policies give relevant opportunities for people turning off fr advanced or better themselves. Something I'm sure we all agree on including the opposition.

But as per usual, the message gets completely twisted and distorted by the manipulating media, twitterati and overreactors.

Got to say I am watching Sky news at the moment (shame on me ) with the irritating Kay Burley talking about the cost of living. It’s so one sided  it’s shameful 

The media trolling of the easily 'outraged' is amusing to watch.

Whatever you do, don't watch early evening TV, especially Thursdays, you might have a coronary.

1 minute ago, fools said:

The media trolling of the easily 'outraged' is amusing to watch.

Whatever you do, don't watch early evening TV, especially Thursdays, you might have a coronary.

Why , what’s on ?

The cost of living is now bordering on the scandalous...

I have to manage on a meagre income of about £700 per week, of which I bank £500 per month...

If things keep going up at the present rate, my monthly savings will definitely take a hit.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I take the point but that suggestion is no different to anyone else suggesting it. Take, for example, Jack Monroe, who was already suggesting similar 2 years ago.

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/articles/meals-under-a-fiver-jack-monroe-recipes

There's a world of difference between Jack Monroe who was living on toast and tea at one time as that was all she could afford, offering advice, and a Tory toff with a handsome salary and even more handsome Expenses account who has probably never shopped in a supermarket, hectoring the poor....

On  'Any Answers' (Radio 4 Saturday) a lady who runs  a food bank was talking about the differing circumstances of the people she helps and how this guy has no idea. She deals with people who are living in someone's garden shed, or living in a car or hostels and 'hotels' where there are no cooking facilities, as well as those who have had their gas and electric cut off, or have mental health problems. They are in serious distress, and the MP's comments were an insult. 

Edited by Anna B

17 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why , what’s on ?

Going to have to avoid specifics on the advice of an imaginary Brief.

btw Anna, the 'tory toff' as you put it, used to work darn pit

Edited by fools

47 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

here's the difference :

Jack has done it. and is showing us *how* to do it : costed, nutritionally balanced, tasty, with clear instructions.

3 minutes ago, ads36 said:

here's the difference :

Have you actually watched what he said.