Thatcher Statue In Grantham

There are 1000s of monuments dedicated to the various Tory governments all over Britain - they are called food banks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

There are 1000s of monuments dedicated to the various Tory governments all over Britain - they are called food banks

Brilliant post.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MJ01 said:

And so say I , too

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Margaret Thatcher was an exceptional woman in anybody's book. The fact that she was a contraversial figure, (and I for one totally disagreed with her politics) shouldn't disbar her from having a statue, there are few enough of those, honouring remarkable women in Britain.

But I'm not surprised it has stirred up some very strong feelings amongst the population.

However here is a lowborn woman who made it right to the top in a man's world, mostly through her own merit, and made a real diference, (whether you liked  that difference or not.) That in itself is an achievement. She deserves to be remembered, and I'm sure will continue to be the subject of much argument and debate for many years to come. 

How about a statue of a miner, steelworker or Union leader to stand alongside her?

Not often i say this but, i agree with your comments Anna

until the last sentence but that's your opinion. nationwide she is probably more remembered for the Falklands war than the strike but i get your meaning.

Are there any statues of great Labour Prime Ministers ?

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The purpose of the statue in Grantham is to honour and respect a famous lady who was born there and add prestige to the town.  The purpose of the statue isn't for political reasons. 

Regarding adding explanatory plaques to historic statues I support. However, that will not stop the lawless mob attacking statues

The statue was never intended to be placed in Grantham. They built it and assumed, having already built it, they'd be able to place it in Westminster. When Westminster Council refused them planning permission, they went hawking it round the country and persuaded Grantham to accept it. The Tory controlled Grantham Council wanted to misuse public funds to erect it - resulting in obvious objections. Eventually they raise enough money from private donations to fund it. Statues of politician are always erected for political reasons.

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Are there any statues of great Labour Prime Ministers ?

Good question. I know there's one of Harold Wilson in his home town, but don't know of many others.

17 minutes ago, altus said:

The statue was never intended to be placed in Grantham. They built it and assumed, having already built it, they'd be able to place it in Westminster. When Westminster Council refused them planning permission, they went hawking it round the country and persuaded Grantham to accept it. The Tory controlled Grantham Council wanted to misuse public funds to erect it - resulting in obvious objections. Eventually they raise enough money from private donations to fund it. Statues of politician are always erected for political reasons.

“Hawking it round the country “ . Is that true ?

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Good question. I know there's one of Harold Wilson in his home town, but don't know of many others.

Oh dear! :(

Now you've gone and done it!

There's probably a few posters on here now looking into the possibility of organising a Sheffield Forum coach mini-bus trip to Huddersfield...

... stopping off at Waitrose first to get some 'essential supplies'! :roll:

2 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Oh dear! :(

Now you've gone and done it!

There's probably a few posters on here now looking into the possibility of organising a Sheffield Forum coach mini-bus trip to Huddersfield...

... stopping off at Waitrose first to get some 'essential supplies'! :roll:

Count me in to go and pay homage to the best Priminister the country has ever had. 

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

“Hawking it round the country “ . Is that true ?

That might be an exaggeration but it was certainly intended that the statue be placed in Westminster, not in Grantham.

1 minute ago, altus said:

That might be an exaggeration but it was certainly intended that the statue be placed in Westminster, not in Grantham.

So it’s not true then