Laptop Poor Performance

23 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Seems plenty fast enough to me :):)

And anything that runs on W10, should run on W11 tbh :)

I'm not the OP by the way, I was saying mine runs waaay better with SSD that with regular IDE, boot time now 14 seconds when it was around 4 minutes before.

I did a spec-check for windows 11 and it came back my lapdancer wasn't upto it 🤕

7 hours ago, walkertelecoms said:

I'm not the OP by the way, I was saying mine runs waaay better with SSD that with regular IDE, boot time now 14 seconds when it was around 4 minutes before.

I did a spec-check for windows 11 and it came back my lapdancer wasn't upto it 🤕

I know you're not the OP ;)

20 hours ago, walkertelecoms said:

There's ways to bypass that. 

I've been testing Windows 11 on older machines and found at start up it uses less RAM than Windows 10.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

Just now, alchresearch said:

There's ways to bypass that. 

I've been testing Windows 11 on older machines and found at start up it uses less RAM than Windows 10.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-requirement

I have a W10 install using 0.7Gb ram on boot... Can W11 beat that?

Not that i'd put it on an unsupported machine.. mostly just wondering :)

On 16/05/2022 at 01:19, fools said:

Ignore calls to upgrade it, they aren't necessary.

Back up any data, and refresh or reinstall the operating system - (a google away if you don't know how, Lenovo site, youtube etc)

Failing that, Lenovo's tend to come with onekey recovery, which puts it back to the exact state it was when you bought it.

(You may need to reinstall office afterwards)

If you still think it's slow then (it shouldn't be), you can upgrade it to ssd

PS - don't automatically blame Lenovo, 99% of gripes with machines have nothing to do with the hardware - it's your software that's "not responding"

My experience backs up your advice F.

Over the years, on various desk tops and laptops, I have repeatedly been told to "upgrade the processor, or the RAM (or even the hard drive)" and it has never made any significant difference. Similarly with C Cleaner and those kind of things.

The problem is reinstalling windows (which does work) means you have to reinstall all the other software which is an absolute PITA.....

I once had a bloke who came round who went through all the processes in the task manager and turned a load of them off, that made  a difference (though still not as good as reinstalling Windows...), but you really have to know what you're doing with that or you could shag up Windows or whatever.

On the subject of the latter, the chap I used has moved out of the area, can anyone recommend someone to do the same now ? I have an HP laptop that is only a year old and is slower than an older and cheaper one which has had far more use !

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

The problem is reinstalling windows (which does work) means you have to reinstall all the other software which is an absolute PITA.....

The solution is to make a disk image backup to an external drive, once you have installed software and configured the machine.. (macrium reflect), takes 10 minutes to backup and restore a working full speed machine.

Not worth paying anyone to fix really, an external hard disk is cheaper,  backup, reinstall, image.

Edited by fools

2 hours ago, fools said:

The solution is to make a disk image backup to an external drive, once you have installed software and configured the machine.. (macrium reflect), takes 10 minutes to backup and restore a working full speed machine.

Not worth paying anyone to fix really, an external hard disk is cheaper,  backup, reinstall, image.

Since windows 8, there's a "Reset this PC" you can choose to full reinstall (and delete everything) Reinstall Just windows (keeping files and documents etc) etc...

Only time I actually use a USB image is on a fresh/new drive for a first install.

Edited by Ghozer

On 26/07/2022 at 13:34, Ghozer said:

Since windows 8, there's a "Reset this PC" you can choose to full reinstall (and delete everything) Reinstall Just windows (keeping files and documents etc) etc...

Only time I actually use a USB image is on a fresh/new drive for a first install.

That sounds a really useful option if it indeed leaves all other data / files untouched, anyone actually used that and can confirm ?

4 hours ago, peteh1 said:

That sounds a really useful option if it indeed leaves all other data / files untouched, anyone actually used that and can confirm ?

It does.. there are two options on there, one fully wipes the other, not... The descriptions are below them in windows too, you can take a look, and just not actually run it :)

Edited by Ghozer